News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [PSX- Need help] Serial Experiment Lain translated hacked ISO  (Read 6446 times)

iceteapeche

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

I've finally decided to -try to- make a translated hack of the psx game Serial Experiment Lain. I know that many have tried before me and none succeeded, but still... It's one of those strange game with no real game play but just a succession of videos and still images with speeches.
Here is the thing :
1) the full audio translation is  available <a href="http://psx.lain.pl/"> here </a>
2) What I intend to do is extract the srt files from the ISO (I have an original copy of the game so I could make my own image if needed for whatever reason), redo the srt files with hard subtitles in the videos and replace the srt files in the iso.

Does it look possible to you guys ? I am a software engineer and know quite a bit about programming but I never hacked any game as for today...

Thanks for your help,

PhOeNiX

• View Profile
Re: [PSX- Need help] Serial Experiment Lain translated hacked ISO
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 04:16:44 am »
You should really check out the tool jpsxdec. Is the only tool that come in my mind that should be able to decode this game's video streams. The documentation of jpsxdec should also give you some advice on how you can aff subtitles by injecting PNG frames in the original video instead of recreating it from scratch.

https://kenai.com/projects/jpsxdec/pages/Home
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:29:36 am by PhOeNiX »

iceteapeche

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:31:44 am »
Hey,

thanks for your reponse. I'll check it out tonight ; I tried to launch it this morning but I'm on win 7 and it seems it only works on win9x.

Anyway I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

If anyone feels like helping me don't hesitate guys ;)

PhOeNiX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 04:48:17 am »
It does work on Windows 7. It is written in java, and it requires the JRE installed.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »
Do you plan on putting the actual text into the game, too? I seem to recall there being diaries and the like. I love this series and also have the game, but I haven't played it in awhile. It's a pretty awesome story, actually.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »
Do you plan on putting the actual text into the game, too? I seem to recall there being diaries and the like. I love this series and also have the game, but I haven't played it in awhile. It's a pretty awesome story, actually.

Yep, it consists of audio diaries, video clips, and I think some text ones too. Very strange game, much like the show.

I believe the same writer was involved(but sadly not the same art designer or director).

Best of luck, OP. I'm kind of a series fan. ;)

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

aryanazadi1377

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:26:32 am »
You should really check out the tool jpsxdec. Is the only tool that come in my mind that should be able to decode this game's video streams. The documentation of jpsxdec should also give you some advice on how you can aff subtitles by injecting PNG frames in the original video instead of recreating it from scratch.

https://kenai.com/projects/jpsxdec/pages/Home
Hey is there tutorials on youtube for the program?cause i searched and there was no tutorial.