News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How To make a patch file for A PC game?  (Read 2623 times)

Illuminati13

• View Profile
How To make a patch file for A PC game?
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:16:32 pm »
Hello everybody, I' ve recently successfuly translated personal computer game called "Kero Blaster" from English to Lithuanian, and I want to ask how do you make patch file?

Do i need unmodified version of the game or special software to do that, because I am noob at this thing.

And second question would be how to submit files after that(does it involve wait time period?)?.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: How To make a patch file for A PC game?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:12:48 pm »
Hi Illuminati,

Yes, you need the "untouched original game" to make a patch. A patch is a list of differences between the original and modified versions.
There are several patch formats. One of them is xdelta (found on this site's Utilities section) whereby you create a patch with:
xdelta3-3.0.6-x64.exe -e -s originalfile.bin patched_file.bin mypatch.xdelta3

Some people prefer PPF, others IPS. Choice is yours!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 03:00:34 pm »
You can try the more traditional method that BlackDog61 mentions, however the PC can see you have to change things up a bit, especially if you decrypted anything in the process and even if you did not then some of the patching programs fall short on modern PC games.

The "untouched original game" is itself an issue, more than consoles, as there are many forms (steam/downloadable versions, disc versions, isos from pirate groups.....). However if you can patch an installed game that is probably the more suitable method, not the easiest for end users but doable.

What did you have to edit as part of this hack? If you spent time with the exe file then that is one thing, if you edited a text file then that is potentially quite another.

Illuminati13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 03:43:26 pm »
well I used adobe photoshop to edit image fonts and edited .txt files and with hexworkshop edited .pxeve file and that is all that was needed for translation to work . No hacking was needed.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:48:50 pm »
Zip the modified files and upload that.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:42:42 pm »
Zip the modified files and upload that.

Pretty much how lots of PC translations I'm aware of (DmC, Murdered Soul Suspect, Resident Evil 6) distribute their files, but wouldn't that be distributing copyrighted material and thus not allowed on rhdn?
One interesting way to handle the distribution would be how various groups handled Akuji/Guardian of Paradise/Hydra Castle Labyrinth: an installer that overwrites the files in the game directory with the new files (or in the case of Guardian of Paradise, some sort of batch command that runs ips(?) patches on the to-be-replaced files for an extra layer of legality/saving space?)

The "beat" patcher format supposedly handles directories and multiple files, but I haven't tried it and have no idea about this particular use.