News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: HEX EDIT FAIL  (Read 1778 times)

Bread

• View Profile
HEX EDIT FAIL
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:07:08 pm »
The moment when you mess up on the hex code and don't know where  :banghead:

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
Re: HEX EDIT FAIL
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »
Done this a few times, normally an easy fix though. Get a fresh copy of the ROM, run a file compare against the two and bingo, the difference will be highlighted assuming you can remember roughly where it was and what the previous value was (assuming it is different from the original).

These days I write down the offset and value I am changing first along what I assume it does so that I know if it isn't right I can change it back easily.

Bread

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:00:20 pm »
Done this a few times, normally an easy fix though. Get a fresh copy of the ROM, run a file compare against the two and bingo, the difference will be highlighted assuming you can remember roughly where it was and what the previous value was (assuming it is different from the original).

These days I write down the offset and value I am changing first along what I assume it does so that I know if it isn't right I can change it back easily.

thats a good idea XD should start doind that

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »
I have toyed with the idea of setting up a CMS for hacking purposes, however that would probably be to hacking what CAT tools are to the translation side of our little hobby. To that end save as and stick a number the counts up on the end.

That said if you are hex editing for more than insertion or a basic change (or some iteration when pulling something apart) then I would argue you have gone wrong somewhere.

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:59 am »
I have toyed with the idea of setting up a CMS for hacking purposes, however that would probably be to hacking what CAT tools are to the translation side of our little hobby. To that end save as and stick a number the counts up on the end.

That said if you are hex editing for more than insertion or a basic change (or some iteration when pulling something apart) then I would argue you have gone wrong somewhere.

Not sure about a CMS but I can certainly see something like GitHub being useful for many long term hacks. Playing with the idea of setting up one myself.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:37:55 pm »
Did I say CMS? I meant version control of some form. I saw a few DS hacks use github and googlecode and such like. Seemed like it worked for them but I suspect they were more there for the collaboration/group aspect with versioning/change logging and backups being a happy bonus, not to mention with the DS being filesystem based it was far more suited.

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »
Thought you might have, would have to be a hefty sized hack for a CMS!

I was just looking at the GitHub of Super Mario for another question. Takes a while to load in the browser but certainly looks like a good idea.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 07:24:41 pm »
Versioning systems certainly makes sense, as soon as you have more files than a couple of "_v03" can handle. Which means most modern projects, I'd bet.
I'm contemplating running a server, myself,for my personal use. I wouldn't really trust anyone online with this kind of stuff. Would you, really?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:49 pm »
I wouldn't really trust anyone online with this kind of stuff. Would you, really?

If github wants to give me something using git for free (they will probably want me to pay for a closed source/whatever a hack normally is) then I am game. The git setup by its very nature backs things up completely (look up what git clone actually does) in the case the site fell over and security wise a) it is just ROM hacks and b) is probably far easier to manage than the convoluted systems of email, ftp, hosting sites... that group efforts tend to see now and have seen in the past.