News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What is name of it?  (Read 3966 times)

bradzx

• View Profile
What is name of it?
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:56:00 am »
Hi I notice there are many Sonic the Hedgehog hack and there are many good music.   What is name of it that you take out the audio from rom or rom turn to audio? 
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: What is name of it?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:08:50 am »
I'm not entirely certain I'm interpreting your question correctly, but you're looking for audio rips, I guess? There isn't really a specific catch-all term for emulated music, though. For SEGA stuff you're looking at VGM format files; they're to the Genesis what NSF is to the NES and what SPC is to the SNES. How VGM files are created though is something I've never looked into.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:43:33 pm »
Yeah from rom that they put hack in it.  For example Sonic Megamix.  I need audio rips take out from Sonic Megamix that they put audio in hack.  So I can listen the audio as use Foobar2000.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Sliver X

• LIBERA·TE·EX·INFERIS
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:29 am »

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:34:03 pm »
I don't mean recording on emulator.  I meant take out audio type from rom.  I remember one of NES emulator does have turn rom to audio.  What is name of it again?  Nes something or other kind of emulator.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »
If it's the once-popular emulator that has been out of date for over a decade, all it is is recording THE EMULATOR'S audio output to a WAV file. (so if the emulator's audio quality is poor, which it is, or the emulator lags, which is oddly enough seems to do MORE the FASTER your CPU is, you'll bad AND laggy audio that is not at all accurate to game)
You're not actually taking anything FROM the ROM.

From what I understand, getting a proper SPC rip is not as simple as hitting a button in ZSNES.
To get a PROPER rip, you'd have to actually know about the sound data and how to find it in the ROM (I don't). :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 06:03:28 pm »
If it's the once-popular emulator that has been out of date for over a decade, all it is is recording THE EMULATOR'S audio output to a WAV file. (so if the emulator's audio quality is poor, which it is, or the emulator lags, which is oddly enough seems to do MORE the FASTER your CPU is, you'll bad AND laggy audio that is not at all accurate to game)
You're not actually taking anything FROM the ROM.

From what I understand, getting a proper SPC rip is not as simple as hitting a button in ZSNES.
To get a PROPER rip, you'd have to actually know about the sound data and how to find it in the ROM (I don't). :)
You mean there is no utilities for Genesis to take out the audio from rom?

What do you mean by that doe not as simple for ZSNES?
Yeah I know.  But I need to know what kind utilities that can take out audio type of VGM from rom.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 07:16:34 pm »
Until you get to the GBA and DS (systems with very well known and documented software driven sound formats, so not something that really exists on the megadrive/genesis or indeed anything of that vintage and older) there are no tools that do magic button rips of audio that are not just dumping things into what amounts to a wave file, maybe one that observes repeating sections, with a funny header.

In the megadrive/genesis' case there are emulators that can dump to wave. Kega fusion should have just such an option (sound -> VGM log). If you want to do it properly (and to be fair the wave stuff does work for a lot of things so that is not entirely necessary) then you get to play programmer and do all sorts of things like that. Such hacks are actually pretty hard work though.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:50:15 am »
Aw bummer.  But how they did put audio to rom for hack?  Like Super Mario World, they are usually to use...uhh...whatever they have.  But does Sonic The Hedgehog have one as well?

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 08:18:21 am »
What FAST6191 meant is that there is no generic magic tools. People can still write tools for specific music engines. You can even reuse tools if the engine was reused.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »
What FAST6191 meant is that there is no generic magic tools. People can still write tools for specific music engines. You can even reuse tools if the engine was reused.
Well maybe you can help me with this?  Maybe one of them can let me reuse the rom for listen the audio that they put.