News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Stores that sell your rom hacks- canada  (Read 2842 times)

daylanb

• View Profile
Stores that sell your rom hacks- canada
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:20:39 pm »
Not sure if in right spot......
I created an account on here to pass along some information about a retail store in my city that is selling reproduction carts loaded with hacked roms (translations, fan hacks) complete with fake cover stickers. I know the creators of the hacks/translations do not want their work being sold for a profit.
I refuse to publicly name the store as it will only get them business. I have informed nintendo of america and square enix (yes they are dumb enough to sell ctrig hacks) so wheels are in motion.
Any hack creator that wants to know details, pm me I will let you know. They had a large variety but I for sure have seen ctrig crimson echos, secret of mana 2 translation and a few smw hacks.

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: Stores that sell your rom hacks- canada
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:15:24 pm »
I suggest you PM and/or e-mail the authors of these translations and romhacks and let them know what is happening. It'll go faster that way.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:36:57 pm »
Not really anything ROM hack/translation authors can really do.

To be honest it's hard to say if even Nintendo or Square-Enix will think it's worth the effort (MONEY) taking them to court.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

daylanb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:38:45 pm »
Honestly there were just too many there. This is like 10-20 emails Ill be sending. I would lol at that but its kinda serious. I will have to snap a pic of the display so I can get a complete list, and inform everybody being hurt by these aholes. Earthbound zero for $100- http://imgur.com/ttxp3Zy from their yelp page somebody else is unhappy.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:31:49 pm »
You should really stay in your own lane here bud. Its not your place and realistically what we do isn't completely legal no matter how you slice it.

If you put it out here, someone will release it. Chill out. You're not the first acting like a hero on here.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:11:30 am »
Absolutely do not do this. If anything, you are involving us. Stop.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »
Out of curiosity is this the place in the South Pacific Mall in Toronto again?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:13:47 pm »
Honestly there were just too many there. This is like 10-20 emails Ill be sending. I would lol at that but its kinda serious. I will have to snap a pic of the display so I can get a complete list, and inform everybody being hurt by these aholes. Earthbound zero for $100- http://imgur.com/ttxp3Zy from their yelp page somebody else is unhappy.

Who exactly is being hurt in this scenario?
Leave it alone, dude.
The fact of the matter is that if Nintendo and the original creators of the software actually cared to they would do something about these situations.
They are far more likely to crackdown on the free distribution of software that they still make money on through Virtual Console sales rather than waste the time and money on litigation against the small-time reproduction of obsolete hardware.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 06:23:37 pm »
They can still send a C&D letter to try and scare the shop.