News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack Decision: Mother 2 English translation or Earthbound's Title Screen?  (Read 10812 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Good day, community!

The reason I started this topic is because I am in a bit of a struggle.
I have been looking all around the web for the entire Mother Trilogy in its most pure and not-localized form (this means avoiding changes made while being imported into the USA and the only game I am still missing for my picky self is Mother 2 for the SNES.
I know there is an existing Mother 1+2 hack for the GBA, but I am NOT interested in that one.
What I want to do is get a Mother 2 rom that has all the uncensored parts of the Japanese released, translated into english and also have the proper Mother 2 Title Screen (along with the proper intro screen of "Giygas Strikes Back!" instead of the "The War Against Giygas!").

So, with that being said, I have 2 options here:

1) Work with the uncensored patch for Earthbound for the SNES.
Take into consideration that if I apply this patch, the title screen will remain the same, and I want it to be like the Japanese counterpart saying Mother 2 with the red background, so the work would be to hack the title screen to look like the one in Mother 2.

The patch to get the uncensored USA Earthbound is here:
http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-2-to-EarthBound-Uncensored-patch

2) Grab the japanese Mother 2 ROM and start translating it to english from scratch.
Yes, it would be a much more tedious work, since I have little to no experience with full translations (all I have done is change some words in a NES Castlevania ROM).
There is an existing patch that changes the title screen here:
http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/EB-Intro-Sequence-Hacks

NOTE: If I try to combine both patches, the result ends up being a garbled introduction sequence and a whole lot of mess in the Title Screen.

Those are my only 2 options to fulfill what I think would be the best for the Mother Community out there...
Have all 3 games without censoring and playable in English language!

My question is...
What would you recommend me to do out of those two and what would be the easiest?
Hack the title screen or translate the japanese ROM?
Also, depending on your response, what tools would you suggest me to work with and what websited do you recommend for the overall knowledge of the hack?

Thank you in advance for the help!

PS: This is the only good source I found for SNES translation:
http://www.emulationzone.org/sections/wakdhacks/docs/snes.html

VicVergil

• View Profile
The only way to avoid the localization changes (which extend way past the title screen and the graphical censorship) would be playing the Japanese version, without any English translation. Not the GBA/Wii U releases either, the vanilla SFC version. In Japanese.
Due to how English and Japanese work, a lot of stuff in the English text (honorifics, verbal tics) simply don't translate. They're omitted in any English translation.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
I have been looking all around the web for the entire Mother Trilogy in its most pure and not-localized form
Mr. GHANMI has a point.

2) Grab the japanese Mother 2 ROM and start translating it to english from scratch.
Yes, it would be a much more tedious work, since I have little to no experience with full translations
There are many, many enthusiastic  Earthbound fans out there, some of whom are probably far more experienced than you.  If it was easy to stick the English script into the Japanese ROM, someone would have done it by now.  Earthbound's text happens to be notoriously difficult to work with.

There is an existing patch that changes the title screen here:
http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/EB-Intro-Sequence-Hacks
That doesn't really do a particularly good job of replicating the actual Mother 2 title screen, I think.

NOTE: If I try to combine both patches, the result ends up being a garbled introduction sequence and a whole lot of mess in the Title Screen.
To take a wild guess, you need to apply the Uncensored patch, then expand the ROM, and then apply the Title Screen patch.

PS: This is the only good source I found for SNES translation:
http://www.emulationzone.org/sections/wakdhacks/docs/snes.html
Did you miss the Documents section off to the left here?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Indeed EarthBound's text storage is practically its own game engine (if you've played RPG Maker, that should give an idea).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CyberFox

• View Profile
I say go for the translation of Mother 2 and call it "EarthBound: Creator's Cut"

VicVergil

• View Profile
If you're seriously considering re-translating from the Japanese version from scratch (even though I should stress that the official localization did a pretty good job even by modern standards, cuts aside), well...
Keep in mind that the Japanese script in
* the JP GBA port
* the Wii VC version (that's included in SSB Brawl's Japanese version)
* the Wii U VC port (the English version for that one is the same as the US SNES rom though)
were all censored to various degrees for the sake of political-correctness for the Japanese market (another Earthbound-like series, Tengai Makyou, suffered the same for its re-releases (II, DS, 2006; IV, PSP, 2006))
Meaning that if you're going for an "authentic, uncensored" feel, use the initial SFC JP version.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Keep in mind that the Japanese script in
* the JP GBA port
* the Wii VC version (that's included in SSB Brawl's Japanese version)
* the Wii U VC port (the English version for that one is the same as the US SNES rom though)
were all censored to various degrees for the sake of political-correctness for the Japanese market
Fascinating!  Are the details documented somewhere? I know Tengai Makyou was kind of edgy at times, but this is surprising.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Fascinating!  Are the details documented somewhere? I know Tengai Makyou was kind of edgy at times, but this is surprising.

I only know of two. Lardna only calls Buzz-Buzz a "fly" instead of a "toilet fly", and the Twoson baker's dialogue went from something like "The flies landing on it [my bread] gives it a unique flavor to something like "It [My bread]'s so good it's started to attract flies".

VicVergil

• View Profile

Sadly not in English. The Japanese wikipedia articles are a good start though.
What I'm aware was removed in ports (mostly through playing the games):
Mother 2: poop jokes, rewrites, seizure-inducing stuff
Tengai Makyou Ziria: sexual innuendo, seizure-inducing stuff, among other things
Tengai Makyou II (ports, the "remake" was even more butchered): manji, nipples, juvenile alcohol drinking, cannibalism-by-proxy, profanity ("Jesus! Goddamn! Sonuvabitchi!", and some words that were OK in 1992 but banned later), graphic gore and violence (the ice cave showdown cutscene after the Hyakkan Maru boss), "Here Lies Erdrik/Link" joke (the victims here were Mario, Loto/Erdrik, and Adol Christin), seizure-inducing stuff
Tengai Makyou IV (port): product placement, a few religious references, political correctness ("indians" now called "red people").
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:04:10 am by GHANMI »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Well actually my plan was not to make the translation ALL THE WAY from scratch.
I would take the uncensored patch as the main example for the game's script, since that is the closest one to the original Japanese text.

Someone knows how difficult it might be to change the title screen?
I tried to find some tile data for it but it seems that such information is not a tile per-se in the rom's data.

To take a wild guess, you need to apply the Uncensored patch, then expand the ROM, and then apply the Title Screen patch.

I will try that. I will patch the normal ROM with the uncensored patch, expand it and then add the Title Screen Patch.
I will post how that went...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:09:00 pm by ShadowOne333 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Tengai Makyou IV (port): product placement, a few religious references, political correctness ("indians" now called "red people").
And now "red people" is considered offensive. So much I hear the Washington Redskins football team had their trademark rights pulled.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I found a software that the Earthbound community has been using lately.
It's called "PK Hack" and apparently it gives the option to work directly into the Title Screen.
There is also some documentation about how to work with it.

Take a look:
http://starmen.net/pkhack/

I downloaded it and tried to get the title screen part to work (Under Graphics), but so far I have not been able to open the Title Screen editor.

Also, there is a LOT of forum posts in that website that share some information about the ASM code that handles the intro and title screen for Earthbound.
If anyone is interested, take a look. I will try to open up the Title Screen thingy from PK Hack and see if I get some work done for it.