News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Super Mario Kart 8 V1.1 Released!  (Read 14571 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Super Mario Kart 8 V1.1 Released!
« on: June 21, 2014, 03:13:49 pm »

Update By: Sarger001

Super Mario Kart 8 V1.1 (PAL) has been released as a demake of Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, scaling it down on to the original Super Mario Kart for the SNES. If you have downloaded the previous version of Super Mario Kart 8, it is probably the best time to download again and repatch.

The project started shortly after the first major course information was released and since then Sarger has been trying to squeeze some of the courses in the game down onto a SNES cartridge. The hack modifies all of the tracks in the game, including the battle tracks, modifies the point system and some of the graphics in the game have been modified as well.

Start your engines!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2065/)

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
Re: ROM Hacks: Super Mario Kart 8 V1.1 Released!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 04:28:09 am »
Freezes after loading the title screen...?

EDIT:
(both in ZSNES and SNES9x)

Logfile says:

Code: [Select]
$80/BDA5 65 1E       ADC $1E    [$00:001E]   A:FFF8 X:0200 Y:BD46 P:eNvmxdizc
$80/BDA7 E2 20       SEP #$20                A:FFB7 X:0200 Y:BD46 P:eNvmxdizC
$80/BDA9 95 01       STA $01,x  [$00:0201]   A:FFB7 X:0200 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdizC
$80/BDAB 5C 1D 5E C8 JMP $C85E1D[$C8:5E1D]   A:FFB7 X:0200 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdizC
$C8/5E1D 20 84 5E    JSR $5E84  [$C8:5E84]   A:FFB7 X:0200 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdizC

$C8/5E84 DA          PHX                     A:FFB7 X:0200 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdizC
$C8/5E85 A6 B4       LDX $B4    [$00:00B4]   A:FFB7 X:0200 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdizC
$C8/5E87 B5 04       LDA $04,x  [$00:1704]   A:FFB7 X:1700 Y:BD46 P:envMxdizC
$C8/5E89 AE 24 01    LDX $0124  [$80:0124]   A:FFFF X:1700 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdizC
$C8/5E8C 48          PHA                     A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:envMxdiZC
$C8/5E8D BF 92 00 C8 LDA $C80092,x[$C8:0092] A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:envMxdiZC
$C8/5E91 29 FF       AND #$FF                A:FF00 X:0000 Y:BD46 P:envMxdiZC
$C8/5E93 00 0A       BRK #$0A                A:FF00 X:0000 Y:BD46 P:envMxdiZC
*** BRK
$00/B900 AF FF FF 2F LDA $2FFFFF[$2F:FFFF]   A:FF00 X:0000 Y:BD46 P:envMxdIZC
$00/B904 AF FF FF 2F LDA $2FFFFF[$2F:FFFF]   A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdIzC
$00/B908 AF FF FF 2F LDA $2FFFFF[$2F:FFFF]   A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdIzC
$00/B90C AF FF FF 2F LDA $2FFFFF[$2F:FFFF]   A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdIzC
$00/B910 4C 00 B9    JMP $B900  [$00:B900]   A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdIzC
$00/B900 AF FF FF 2F LDA $2FFFFF[$2F:FFFF]   A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdIzC
$00/B900 AF FF FF 2F LDA $2FFFFF[$2F:FFFF]   A:FFFF X:0000 Y:BD46 P:eNvMxdIzC
[...] (ad infinitum)

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:59:02 am »
Freezes after loading the title screen...?
I got this problem on the US version. You're supposed to patch it on the EU (PAL) version and it's running fine for me.

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:15:27 am »
I got this problem on the US version. You're supposed to patch it on the EU (PAL) version and it's running fine for me.

I used an (E)-ROM, didn't work. ô_o

Maybe I should test another ROM.

Sarger001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 07:19:13 am »
As a heads up, you use Super Mario Kart (E) [!].smc
Enjoy!

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 07:56:39 am »
If your ROM has a header, try removing the header.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:06:04 am »
If anyone's still having trouble, just look up Super Mario Kart (Europe) (Rev 0A). That one's working.

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 01:32:02 pm »
If your ROM has a header, try removing the header.

It had not. With a headered ROM, the game even doesn't come to the title screen, the screen stays black.

So! I got it to work with an (E)-[!]-ROM, played all the tracks that are free at the start, and this is really fun! I definitely suck too much at SMK to fully enjoy it, but nonetheless: It's cool, it's fun, good job!

Here are some things I recognized:

* Cloudtop Crs 1: The position where Lakitu puts you back on track is a bit far from where I fell off, isn't it?
* Bowser Castles: The Carpet is hard to distinguish from the lava...
* Especially on the MK Stadiums I had the problem to run through the diagonal block barricades
* Bowser Castle 2: Thwomp in the Distance? (I guess this is an "echo" of the correct placed Thwomps that the game shows there again by mistake)
* Disappearing Pipes when approached
* Lakitu positioned me in the wrong direction in Electrodrome
* There was no turn on Electrodrome where Lakitu hasn't told me I drove in the wrong direction...?
* It's really misleading on Bowser's Castle 3 that there is a red carpet on the dirt in the middle of the road and ten blocks further it's red lava splitting the road in the middle.
* Don't wanna be a sissy, but... when the roads split in Bowser's Castle 3, can the both paths be one block broader? This is really unfair, especially when you (would) drive a Cup.
* In Bowser's Castle 3, there are Thwumps far in the middle of Lava Pools, again.
* On MK Stadium 4, the pipe obstacles right in front of me disappear

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 01:42:45 pm »
I was looking at the bugs you have. The ones involving the Thwumps just needs them moving around and it should work fine... ;)

Have a cookie  :cookie: this is a ROM hack to be proud of. I, the COO of The Chippy Cooperation (ROM Hacking, Vocaloid and Desktop Wallpaper Company), supports you in your quest to demake Mario Kart 8!
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 04:59:21 am »
Works fine for me :)

Sarger001

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 11:55:32 am »
It had not. With a headered ROM, the game even doesn't come to the title screen, the screen stays black.

So! I got it to work with an (E)-[!]-ROM, played all the tracks that are free at the start, and this is really fun! I definitely suck too much at SMK to fully enjoy it, but nonetheless: It's cool, it's fun, good job!

Here are some things I recognized:

* Cloudtop Crs 1: The position where Lakitu puts you back on track is a bit far from where I fell off, isn't it?
* Bowser Castles: The Carpet is hard to distinguish from the lava...
* Especially on the MK Stadiums I had the problem to run through the diagonal block barricades
* Bowser Castle 2: Thwomp in the Distance? (I guess this is an "echo" of the correct placed Thwomps that the game shows there again by mistake)
* Disappearing Pipes when approached
* Lakitu positioned me in the wrong direction in Electrodrome
* There was no turn on Electrodrome where Lakitu hasn't told me I drove in the wrong direction...?
* It's really misleading on Bowser's Castle 3 that there is a red carpet on the dirt in the middle of the road and ten blocks further it's red lava splitting the road in the middle.
* Don't wanna be a sissy, but... when the roads split in Bowser's Castle 3, can the both paths be one block broader? This is really unfair, especially when you (would) drive a Cup.
* In Bowser's Castle 3, there are Thwumps far in the middle of Lava Pools, again.
* On MK Stadium 4, the pipe obstacles right in front of me disappear

Updated keeping in mind your feedback. This is a big update, and as such, very recommended.
Also, thank you all :3
I might work on another MK demake next, most likely MK64. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 03:16:37 pm »
Just a question: Is it on purpose that these courses are hard? If not, maybe you can tweak some things and do for your next Demake (MK64, please! :D) some things differently, like: Make the maps bigger. It seems like you tend to make them too narrow and too small.

Alright, I'm through all 50cc Cups, and again made some notes again. I'll upload the videos over the course of the week, so here's only the Mushroom cup, for now:

* MK Stadium 1: These black blocks at the start/finish are a bitch.
* Sweet Canyon 1: These blocks at the start finish are a bitch.
* Cloudtop Crs 1: From the second lap on, the opponents always fall off the track in the first turn (Watch it on the map, in the third lap I come across Toad as it happens)
* MK Stadium 2: The opponents try to make a 90 degree turn before the start/finish instead of turning gradually as you planned (look at Mario and DK, crashing against the wall)
* Are there no coins on MK Stadium 2?

(More to come, the other cups have bigger problems)

And, by the way: From here to the end of that race, this video is pure gold. ;)

June 24, 2014, 03:03:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- Sweet Canyon 1: Is there any place where I can use a Mushroom Boost without getting totally thrown off the road?

Flower Cup:
- Cloudtop Crs 2: The NPCs all fall off inthe second turn (if not in the first
- Sweet Canyon 2: NPC's AI don't get over a failed jump (watch Peach and DK on the map for the rest of the race)... in the end, it's 4 opponents stuck there.
- Bowser's Castle 2: Is it just me, or is the 180 degree turn impossible to do without hitting the wall at least once? Seems like even the NPCs had a hard time with it... despite that and that little Thwomp problem, that course is pretty much flawless. :)
- MK Stadium 3: The NPCs turn in the whole wrong direction at start!?!
- MK Stadium 3: When I always passed that overlapping block, I always thought it would be annoying. Now, after crashing into it, I considered it as your oversized middle finger in my direction. :D ;)

Biggest fun of Flower Cup: Just watch Bowser's Movement on the Map for the rest of the race (Something's terribly wrong with Yoshi, too)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:03:03 pm by lytron »

Sarger001

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »
Just a question: Is it on purpose that these courses are hard? If not, maybe you can tweak some things and do for your next Demake (MK64, please! :D) some things differently, like: Make the maps bigger. It seems like you tend to make them too narrow and too small.

Alright, I'm through all 50cc Cups, and again made some notes again. I'll upload the videos over the course of the week, so here's only the Mushroom cup, for now:

* MK Stadium 1: These black blocks at the start/finish are a bitch.
* Sweet Canyon 1: These blocks at the start finish are a bitch.
* Cloudtop Crs 1: From the second lap on, the opponents always fall off the track in the first turn (Watch it on the map, in the third lap I come across Toad as it happens)
* MK Stadium 2: The opponents try to make a 90 degree turn before the start/finish instead of turning gradually as you planned (look at Mario and DK, crashing against the wall)
* Are there no coins on MK Stadium 2?

(More to come, the other cups have bigger problems)

And, by the way: From here to the end of that race, this video is pure gold. ;)

June 24, 2014, 03:03:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- Sweet Canyon 1: Is there any place where I can use a Mushroom Boost without getting totally thrown off the road?

Flower Cup:
- Cloudtop Crs 2: The NPCs all fall off inthe second turn (if not in the first
- Sweet Canyon 2: NPC's AI don't get over a failed jump (watch Peach and DK on the map for the rest of the race)... in the end, it's 4 opponents stuck there.
- Bowser's Castle 2: Is it just me, or is the 180 degree turn impossible to do without hitting the wall at least once? Seems like even the NPCs had a hard time with it... despite that and that little Thwomp problem, that course is pretty much flawless. :)
- MK Stadium 3: The NPCs turn in the whole wrong direction at start!?!
- MK Stadium 3: When I always passed that overlapping block, I always thought it would be annoying. Now, after crashing into it, I considered it as your oversized middle finger in my direction. :D ;)

Biggest fun of Flower Cup: Just watch Bowser's Movement on the Map for the rest of the race (Something's terribly wrong with Yoshi, too)

The patch 1.2 does fix some of these, and fixes some later on too. But these are very interesting and I will take a look at them.

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 04:06:01 pm »
The patch 1.2 does fix some of these, and fixes some later on too. But these are very interesting and I will take a look at them.

I'll look forward to patch 1.2! :)

Now, the last part of this, I'm through now: ;)

Star Cup

- Unfortunately, that 270 degree turn and jump is nearly impossible with Yoshi. Yoshi is jumps wider as Koopa, for example, and so always shoots ahead of the course. In the 50cc Cup, even NPCs get there (Watch Mario, Yoshi and Bowser on the map here). When I take a look at the map, I think there is still potential to enlarge the lower/right part of the course.
- Can you consider on that first Star Cup Course to remove that block barrier at the end of the start/finish section? Sitting in that little water gap and have to wait until Lakitu fishes you out is REALLY frustrating (And, believe it or not, I get there quite often).
- I could only repeat for course 3 and 4 what I already said. Consider editing Bowser's Castle a bit from the point on where the roads split. Make both roads wider, and maybe use the whole space you have to the lower end to lengthen the straights a bit (and make the turns easier to take).
- The whole pipe-disappear-issue on course 5 depends on the way you approach that area, I guess. If you're on grass, as it seems, they vanish.
- Watch Luigi in this race. Just watch. (THis saved me the first place in the overall ranking).

Sarger001

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 05:23:46 pm »
I'll look forward to patch 1.2! :)

Now, the last part of this, I'm through now: ;)

Star Cup

- Unfortunately, that 270 degree turn and jump is nearly impossible with Yoshi. Yoshi is jumps wider as Koopa, for example, and so always shoots ahead of the course. In the 50cc Cup, even NPCs get there (Watch Mario, Yoshi and Bowser on the map here). When I take a look at the map, I think there is still potential to enlarge the lower/right part of the course.
- Can you consider on that first Star Cup Course to remove that block barrier at the end of the start/finish section? Sitting in that little water gap and have to wait until Lakitu fishes you out is REALLY frustrating (And, believe it or not, I get there quite often).
- I could only repeat for course 3 and 4 what I already said. Consider editing Bowser's Castle a bit from the point on where the roads split. Make both roads wider, and maybe use the whole space you have to the lower end to lengthen the straights a bit (and make the turns easier to take).
- The whole pipe-disappear-issue on course 5 depends on the way you approach that area, I guess. If you're on grass, as it seems, they vanish.
- Watch Luigi in this race. Just watch. (THis saved me the first place in the overall ranking).
1.2 is already out  ;D

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 01:34:24 am »
Oh, my! :D

Is there a changelog? Maybe I'll do another testplay Video cap... :P

DarkPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 04:32:17 pm »
I cant get it to work I used the E version and still nothing screen stays black please help

January 01, 2016, 04:44:32 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
If anyone's still having trouble, just look up Super Mario Kart (Europe) (Rev 0A). That one's working.
omg it worked thank you!!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:44:32 pm by DarkPanda »

Retro Master HD

• View Profile
Super Mario Kart 8
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 07:29:40 am »
Hello My Name is Ashley Alexander and I’m a massive Mario fans especially when it comes to Super Mario Kart. Really Loved Super Mario Kart 8 Loved the graphic design and the item edit in the game. The items are more fair in this game than in the original Super Mario Kart Game and other Super Mario Kart Rom Hacks. When I first started using Romhacking.Net I had Major problems trying to patch any game I downloaded onto my SNES Mini I downloaded them onto the Console without properly patching it first but when I finally figured out how to patch the Roms by using Lunar IPS Patcher the other games that I downloaded started to work but Super Mario Kart 8 I couldn’t get to work on my SNES Mini for some reason so I then modded my Nintendo WII with SNES9X GX Emulator and it worked and I was ever so excited that it actually did work and to be playing it as well. Best Super Mario Kart Rom Hack I have ever played Keep up the Good Work.  :thumbsup: ;D :laugh: :crazy: :woot!: ;) 8)