News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [PS2] Detective Conan: Legacy of the British Empire [Eng Translation]  (Read 30809 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: [PS2] Detective Conan: Legacy of the British Empire [Eng Translation]
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »
Hi there, I got your PM about your project, so just thought I'd pop into the thread to give my two cents, instead of returning your message. ;)

Yes, I'm the Conan guy (my avatar kinda gives me away), and I've thus far translated 100% of the first Game Boy Color game, and are a few percent into the second and third ones (I haven't touched them for ages, been too busy, might go back to them soon).

I'm pleased to see that you've actually succeeded in replacing some text already. I've seen too many people come onto this forum saying "I have a game I want translated" but who have clearly no idea what they're getting into and don't actually understand hacking. I made sure I got my three games to a playable state before even posting about them (and I wasn't a group either: I just did everything myself, hacking, translating, graphics editing, the lot).

Regarding my help on the project... well, the GBC Conans have a lot of text. :) I imagine the PS2 ones have as much if not more. What I'm concerned about is starting off before realising that there are serious problems that are difficult to solve. It's good to see the menus being done, but menus and game dialogue aren't necessarily the same thing. Get to work on that first. Can you replace the dialogue with as much English as you like, or will it require extensive hacking? Are the control codes in the text difficult to figure out? If I could see some long English text replacing the Japanese with no problems whatsoever, that's a great sign.

Personally, though, it's a lot of work, so I'm not sure I'd be up for doing the whole thing - at least not quickly. I've still got the other two GBC games to translate, and as I said, they're on the backburner. I've also looked at the regular Game Boy games (some kind of text compression there, need help) and a GBA game (lots of complex control codes, but I've got the basics down, maybe, might need to work on pointers and such).

Put simply, if you can prove without doubt that all you need is a translator, because the technical side is done and dusted, you've got a good chance of getting it translated. Whether it's me or someone else. ;)

(I don't think I'm actually that good... I'm just persistent.)

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 07:54:55 pm »
(I don't think I'm actually that good... I'm just persistent.)
Hi there, I got your PM about your project, so just thought I'd pop into the thread to give my two cents, instead of returning your message. ;)
Thanks, a lot for replying , I really appreciate it.
Yes, I'm the Conan guy (my avatar kinda gives me away), and I've thus far translated 100% of the first Game Boy Color game, and are a few percent into the second and third ones (I haven't touched them for ages, been too busy, might go back to them soon).
Dude, you are really really awesome, I download the patch and I am playing it right now , very good work on the first game.And please when you find time, continue with your translations. You have done a great work.
I'm pleased to see that you've actually succeeded in replacing some text already. I've seen too many people come onto this forum saying "I have a game I want translated" but who have clearly no idea what they're getting into and don't actually understand hacking. I made sure I got my three games to a playable state before even posting about them (and I wasn't a group either: I just did everything myself, hacking, translating, graphics editing, the lot).
Welll, i have a lot of experience regarding rhe Ps2 and thankrhnkas tto it I manage to get so far, the only place where i lack is the font, and details regarded to it, and not mention that it is Japanese. But anyway now I know more about it, and will get improved.
Regarding my help on the project... well, the GBC Conans have a lot of text. :) I imagine the PS2 ones have as much if not more. What I'm concerned about is starting off before realising that there are serious problems that are difficult to solve. It's good to see the menus being done, but menus and game dialogue aren't necessarily the same thing. Get to work on that first. Can you replace the dialogue with as much English as you like, or will it require extensive hacking? Are the control codes in the text difficult to figure out? If I could see some long English text replacing the Japanese with no problems whatsoever, that's a great sign.
Now , the menu was Just a simple preview to show that the replaced font did work. Other than that there are some other strings. I admit, we are limited in cahraters, however , i will find those ppointer and make this translation simple. I have not began work yet, so there is time for results. Furthermore,the graphics should be ready too i guess, and all the script in in .db files and plain japanese so there should bot be any problem to translate them. And yes they support control codes such as lines break and i know where they end. Honestly the dialogues should not have restriction but the menu is harder to work on. I will see to make some replacmement.
Personally, though, it's a lot of work, so I'm not sure I'd be up for doing the whole thing - at least not quickly. I've still got the other two GBC games to translate, and as I said, they're on the backburner. I've also looked at the regular Game Boy games (some kind of text compression there, need help) and a GBA game (lots of complex control codes, but I've got the basics down, maybe, might need to work on pointers and such).

Put simply, if you can prove without doubt that all you need is a translator, because the technical side is done and dusted, you've got a good chance of getting it translated. Whether it's me or someone else. ;)
Will post something tomorrow, stay tuned. Too late, I am sleepy right lol.

June 22, 2014, 06:06:53 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The text uses tags, so it is super easy to edit it, free space for everything.

Some screens to test word translations:

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:06:55 am by krat0s »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »
(La imagen solo es una composición)

Este es mi progreso hasta el momento, aclaro que me resulta imposible limpiar la imagen original (no con los tiempos que manejo hoy en día), las modificaciones en la joya fueron causadas por mi imposibilidad de comprender correctamente lo que se encontraba detrás del titulo. Adelanto que lo siguiente es dibujar el farol y mejorar la composición y optimizar el uso de los colores.

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »
(La imagen solo es una composición)

Este es mi progreso hasta el momento, aclaro que me resulta imposible limpiar la imagen original (no con los tiempos que manejo hoy en día), las modificaciones en la joya fueron causadas por mi imposibilidad de comprender correctamente lo que se encontraba detrás del titulo. Adelanto que lo siguiente es dibujar el farol y mejorar la composición y optimizar el uso de los colores.

Wow, man. That is awesome.Can't wait to see what the final iomage with be. Thanks for your help.
Cheers.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 04:55:11 pm »
With all due respect, the logo implementation is awesome, the background art was nicely edited to remove the Japanese text, but...
the font used in the subtitle "LEGACY OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE" is awful, and the embossing and coloring could use another entirely different try.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 10:48:40 pm »
 Upgrade...

To see other jobs visit my Devianart  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:40:44 am by sics »

PhOeNiX

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 07:58:38 am »
The font files use a bit complex encoding. It is made of two overlapped layers. It means that two glyphs will occur on the same tile. In order to extract the font, you need two different palettes. One that filters the pixels of the first layer, and another that filters the pixel of the second layer.

Something like this:

Altough extracting the font is easy, the encoding is not easy as well. I think that a bit of programming will be required, since the palette is not simply divided into two part. The format is roughly something like this

[Background_Color] [Color1_layer1]  [Color2_layer1]  [Color3_layer1] 
[Color1_layer2] [Intersection_With_Color1_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color2_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color3_Layer1]
[Color2_layer2] [Intersection_With_Color1_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color2_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color3_Layer1]
[Color3_layer2] [Intersection_With_Color1_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color2_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color3_Layer1]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:18:03 am by PhOeNiX »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 01:21:02 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:17:59 am by Chpexo »

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 12:59:42 pm »
I can't wait for the translation. I loved the anime and it looks like the project is coming along well.Se ve bien hasta ahora. El texto "imperio" se ve un poco aplastada sin embargo.
Thanks, I have done a bit a progress despite the fact I have been easy. I will post a video of it later. Still a lot of work to do.
Cheers.

July 19, 2014, 01:02:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The font files use a bit complex encoding. It is made of two overlapped layers. It means that two glyphs will occur on the same tile. In order to extract the font, you need two different palettes. One that filters the pixels of the first layer, and another that filters the pixel of the second layer.

Something like this:

Altough extracting the font is easy, the encoding is not easy as well. I think that a bit of programming will be required, since the palette is not simply divided into two part. The format is roughly something like this

[Color1_layer2] [Intersection_With_Color1_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color2_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color3_Layer1]
[Color2_layer2] [Intersection_With_Color1_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color2_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color3_Layer1]
[Color3_layer2] [Intersection_With_Color1_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color2_Layer1] [Intersection_With_Color3_Layer1]
Wow great work!!! I did not thought that it used encoding. Do you think you can share how you extracted it? And for encoding  it back, I know programming, but the color/layers paletter, and things like that are not my stuff. But still, the font does look a bit bad, but nothing serious, and I think , I am going to replace it with hat of another Bandai game. Nevertheless is not that it is terrible. Thanks for your time, and sorry for my late reply.
Cheers.

fabrebatalla18

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 11:25:17 am »
Hello, first of all I would like to thank you created this thread, because I'm just the same game, only in another language .. in Spanish.

I've come to far less than you and I started yesterday lol but I've also come to the same conclusion with regard to the structure of the game, the problem I have to find the Japanese text by MADEDIT program and then replace it their translations in Spanish.

But I think even being so bad I can help in one of the questions you ask you, as re-package it all again? Well I found this program: ExPERT_v106.exe that just has a specific plugin for the same game, called "Conan_Hed_Dat_ps2.epi" the problem of the plugin is that it has only served to DMAP.DAT / DMAP.HED other HED tells me I have the wrong header, so I like that I will spend quickbms your script to see if I get something else ...

My question is, could you do me a small tutorial showing how you want the Japanese text in these files, and as you replace the English text? I would be very grateful, and I think seeing as it once could move myself.

The text uses tags, so it is super easy to edit it, free space for everything.
Please explain me this part.

PS: I have a Spanish fansub which has a translator who knows Japanese, so I have the commitment to translate this game ....

PD2: Forgive me for my English, use google translator xD...

Por si acaso sabes español, aqui tienes mi texto original:
Hola, primero que todo me gustaria agradecerte que hayas creado este hilo, ya que yo justamente estoy con el mismo juego, solo que en otro idioma.. en español.

Yo he llegado a bastante menos que tu ya que empece ayer jeje pero tambien he llegado a la misma conclusion con lo que respecta a la estructura del juego, yo el problema lo tengo para encontrar el texto en japones mediante el programa MADEDIT y despues substituirlo por su traduccion en español.

Pero creo que aun estando tan mal puedo ayudarte en una de las preguntas que te haces, como volver a empaquetarlo todo de nuevo? Pues yo he encontrado este programa: ExPERT_v106.exe que justamente tiene un plugin especifico para este mismo juego, llamado "Conan_Hed_Dat_ps2.epi" el problema de ese plugin es que solo me ha servido para el DMAP.DAT/DMAP.HED el resto de HED me dice que tiene el encabezado incorrecto, por eso me gustaria que me pasaras tu script de quickbms para ver si consigo algo mas...

Mi pregunta es, podrias hacerme un pequeño tutorial mostrando como buscas el texto en japones en esos archivos, y como lo substituyes por el texto ingles? Te estaria muy agradecido, y creo que con ver como se hace una vez podria avanzar por mi mismo.

PD: Tengo un fansub español el cual tiene una traductora que sabe japones, por eso tengo el empeño de traducir este juego....

PD2: Perdoname por mi ingles, uso el traductor de google xD

EDIT:

My progress is as follows (not pay too much attention to the translation for I am limited as then explain ..)

Now my two problems are:
As I can make longer translation (without being limited by the number of Japanese characters)? Is that I've tried and the game was in black.

And my main concern, which you do not have, as I can add Latin characters such as?
á, é, í, ó, ú, Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú, ü, ï, Ü, Ï, ñ, ç, Ñ, Ç, à, è, ò, À, È, Ò, ¡, ¿

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mis progresos son los siguientes (no hagáis mucho caso de la traducción porque estoy limitado como luego explicare..):

Ahora mis dos problemas son los siguientes:
Como puedo hacer la traducción mas larga (sin estar limitado por el numero de caracteres japoneses)? Es que lo he intentado y el juego se quedaba en negro.

Y mi principal preocupación, la cual vosotros no tenéis, como puedo añadir caracteres latinos como son?
á, é, í, ó, ú, Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú, ü, ï, Ü, Ï, ñ, ç, Ñ, Ç, à, è, ò, À, È, Ò, ¡, ¿
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:33:53 am by fabrebatalla18 »

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:15 am »
@fabrebatalla18

Sorry for the late reply, been busy.I am glad you have taken such a project, will share the quickbms script later, because I am on mobile now.
Regarding the text space, each text begins after ">..." with the following bytes "3E 14 OB" and the third byte is the value of the text length, from 6the first letter until to the ">". You have to update that byte to show the correct lentgh.
As for those charcters, I am not quite sure mate, check the font, if it does have them then you are lcuky.
Font is above thanks to PhoeNix. Any question, feel free toak.
Cheers.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 06:22:27 am »

Something like this:

We ran into a similar issue for the TIM files in Ace Combat 3. Basically, you got the image data as indexed colours and then one CLUT / palette for each layer. Each palette had 16 colours, but there were only 4 different colours repeated through those. Each palette had the same colours, just in different order. Here's an example:

CLUT 1: 0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3

CLUT 2: 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3

where the numbers indicate a colour (imagine 0 is black, 3 is white, 1 and 2 are shades of gray).

The trick is: the image data in the layer using CLUT 1 will use the first 4 colours in its palette (values 0 to 4), whereas the image data in the layer using CLUT 2 will use colours 0, 4, 8 and 12. However, the image data is common to both layers!

How does that work? If you notice, both CLUTs next to each other represent all possible combinations of the 4 colours. For example, look at the appearances of colour 0 in CLUT 1 and see which colour there is in its same position in CLUT 2:

- Position 0: 0 0
- Position 4: 0 1
- Position 8: 0 2
- Position 12: 0 3

That means you can easily find a colour number in the palette that has one different colour for each. You want a pixel that is white in the first layer but black in the second? Set the pixel value to 3.

Hopefully that was easy to understand and I'm not telling you something you already knew...

PhOeNiX

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 09:24:48 am »
Hopefully that was easy to understand and I'm not telling you something you already knew...

Yes, I already knew how to reencode the image. I was mainly talking about the fact that it would require to write a custom tool, in order to encode the image back to this format. Since I don't remember tools like tile molester to support such an encoding with multiple palettes.

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:42 am »
The first preview video, there was one, now there are two videos and the second in English. Ignore the Japanese strings, this is a simple preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7O5kZRqaaw

Cheers.

fabrebatalla18

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:19 pm »
@fabrebatalla18

Sorry for the late reply, been busy.I am glad you have taken such a project, will share the quickbms script later, because I am on mobile now.
Regarding the text space, each text begins after ">..." with the following bytes "3E 14 OB" and the third byte is the value of the text length, from 6the first letter until to the ">". You have to update that byte to show the correct lentgh.
As for those charcters, I am not quite sure mate, check the font, if it does have them then you are lcuky.
Font is above thanks to PhoeNix. Any question, feel free toak.
Cheers.

Pondré un ejemplo para que veas lo que hago y me puedas decir que hago mal:

Aquí lo que quiero es mas espacio para escribir "Ran " que son 4 espacios contando el espacio en blanco "R+a+n+ "  (el espacio en blanco es porque tengo la duda de si se pueden usar números impares)
Esto traducido al hexadecimal seria asi:
52 61 6E 20
Pero el problema es que solo tengo 2 espacios, los que ocupa el Kanji de "蘭":
En hexadecimal eso es asi:
97 96

Tu me has dicho que tengo que editar este byte (el que esta marcado en negro):

Y después de editar ese numero, como lo hago para meter 4 bytes en lo que ahora ocupan 2 bytes?
Es decir, tengo que "meter" "52 61 6E 20" en lo que ahora ocupa "97 96"...

Perdón si mi pregunta es algo tonta, pero es que no se como seguir...

PD: Cuando puedas pasame los scripts. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will set an example for you to see what I do and you can tell me that I am wrong:

Here what I want is more space to write "Ran" that are 4 spaces counting blank "R + a + n + " (the blank is because I doubt whether you can use odd numbers)
This would also translated into hexadecimal:
52 61 6E 20
But the problem is that I have just 2 spaces, occupying the Kanji "蘭"
In hexadecimal that is so:
97 96

You've told me I have to edit this byte (which is marked in black): 

And after editing that number, as I do to put 4 bytes as now occupy 2 bytes?
That is, I have to put "52 61 6E 20" now ranks as "97 96" ...

Sorry if my question is rather silly, but not as go ...

PD: When you can pass me the scripts. :)

EDIT:

Yes, I already knew how to reencode the image. I was mainly talking about the fact that it would require to write a custom tool, in order to encode the image back to this format. Since I don't remember tools like tile molester to support such an encoding with multiple palettes.

Por favor, podrias añadir los caracteres latinos a esa fuente?
Es que para mi es el mayor problema a la hora de traducir este juego.

----------------------
Please You Might add Latin characters to that fount?
Is that for me is the biggest problem in translating this game
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:42:07 pm by fabrebatalla18 »

fabrebatalla18

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:06 pm »
Alguna novedad....?

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:39 pm »
Ok , folks I am back. I would like to say that I am sorry for no updates, but the translator and I lost contact so things have went a bit wrong. Anyway , if anyone is interested in translating or in image editing , or doing  a logo I will be pleased. Let me know if you have some spare time.
Cheers.

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 09:01:29 pm »
I saw your gameplay videos on youtube and left a comment and sent you a msg. Im not sure why i didnt try to hit you up on here but I got side tracked I guess lol.

I'm sorry to hear about the set backs but i'll help with whatever I can using the skills that i have if you need.
On a side note you should let me recapture that video preview using real hardware, its so hard to sit through the slowmo vocals. I can have them back to you within the hour.

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 09:41:45 am »
I saw your gameplay videos on youtube and left a comment and sent you a msg. Im not sure why i didnt try to hit you up on here but I got side tracked I guess lol.

I'm sorry to hear about the set backs but i'll help with whatever I can using the skills that i have if you need.
On a side note you should let me recapture that video preview using real hardware, its so hard to sit through the slowmo vocals. I can have them back to you within the hour.
Thanks mate, I have replied on yt.
Cheers.

fabrebatalla18

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 06:10:25 pm »
Sigo esperando ese mensaje privado con los scripts...  :'(