FAST6191 Thank You so much!
I found the turn counter it didn't start from 0 but 42612 instead. I found that value within the SNES save state (74 A6) as well and can change it without having to use a cheat.
Now the next step, finding a way to get the game to show 1860 graphically on the screen. It shows 18 (1st 2 values) because the game normally can go to 1820, but the last 2 values I'm guessing nothing but 75-20 so that would mean no 60. Actually after messing around with it a bit, the game will show the years 1775 to 1820 but nothing more or less. Only the 1st or 16th and the month shows up during gameplay while the year is pretty much blank if you go below 1775 and the whole screen messes up if you put in 1860. Is the table that contains this data to generate the year restricted? I mean all the numbers 0-9 can all show up but not outside of a limited few within the year. Am I looking at this all wrong? The way I see it is the 1st number can only be a 1, and the 2nd number can be a 7 or an 8, the 3rd a 7,8,9,0,1, or 2, while the last number can be all the numbers. Probably not the right track since I know nothing how the data is being pulled or put together to display the year.
Regarding the attack strength I do not know what the attack strength is per unit but it does vary. Infantry for instance can attack with muskets (strong) or bayonets (weak). Cavalry can charge (strong), pistols (weak), or ambush (very strong). Artillery can barrage (strong) or muskets (weak) or hand to hand (very weak). Rangers are special in that they fight like 2x as strong during nighttime as they do during the day, and they can ambush (very strong) and rifles (strong). Plus there are terrain modifiers and entrenching which adds strength to unit as well. Many variables that I simply don't know the specific values for like Fleet barrage close(30) and far (26) and fireboats (26). Like I mentioned before I know these values (from the game's manual) but unable to find them lumped together like the terrain data is all in 1 place in the hex. I should mention in the original unmodified data nothing is as strong as the Fleet close barrage (30) or as weak as the Artillery unit without a cannon(hand to hand).
Any ideas? You have given me great advice and steered me in the right direction and I'm finally making progress for that I am very grateful. Thanks Again!
June 13, 2014, 04:48:32 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just quick update FAST6191. I found out how to move regiments into districts now and have them show up in the game where I want. I just needed to include my changes in the corresponding districts not just at the regiment level.
I still need help on a few things:
1. Need the game to show the years 1860-1881 and then auto quit at Jan. 1, 1881 rather than only 1775 to 1820.
2. Help finding a way to change sides for the Human. (Starting a game as the North then halfway through switching the North to the CPU while simultaneously switching Human control to the South to see if I can win with the odds stacked against me.) Found it.
3. Help finding or figuring out the Attack/Defensive strength of each unit(Infantry, Cavalry, Rangers, and Artillery) to offset the fact I can't stop the overflow problems or the Loop of only 511 max men before resetting to 0 instead of 512.
4. Tile editing to change the Title screen from Liberty or Death(L or D) to maybe Civil War, North vs South, or Union and Confederacy (IDK something besides L or D). I have never attempted tile editing graphics editing of any kind, but feel if I get the year accurate then this has to be attempted.
5. Understanding terrain graphics for each of the districts for more authentic terrains (Gettysburg is accurate not just a name of a district).
Any help I can get from anybody with experience in those areas would be very much appreciated. I have no time table for this hack but would like to enjoy playing it someday.