News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Accessing text in a 3DS game? (specifically PM: Sticker Star)  (Read 1866 times)

Rew

• View Profile
I'm trying to pull a text dump for Sticker Star, after having succeeded at dumping the text for all the other Paper Mario games. But the 3DS ROMs are encrypted, making the text all but impossible to locate.

However, I know that 3DS hacking has made some headway recently, and some have even located the BCSTMs (i.e. music files) for this game in the past few weeks. Does anyone have any sort of data tree or some way to decrypt the ROM so I can access the text? Thanks in advance!

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: Accessing text in a 3DS game? (specifically PM: Sticker Star)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 03:57:07 am »
Does anyone have any sort of data tree or some way to decrypt the ROM so I can access the text? Thanks in advance!

Seems like this (and the re-encrypting part) are the major problems nowadays.
smealum managed to decrypt them by himself (and the lucky few with a dev 3DS unit have been already doing it), but nothing was made public. If you have got somehow an already decrypted dump and still couldn't find it but did find other files like the music, it's very possible Nintendo decided this time to compress the asset files for text for whatever reason.

Rew

• View Profile
Re: Accessing text in a 3DS game? (specifically PM: Sticker Star)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:26:10 am »
Nah, I don't have a decrypted dump of the game itself. I just got the music files from a friend online. And I think this same friend got the files from someone else, so who knows who are the ones making some progress on hacking the game.