News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Undubbing Persona 2 - Batsu/Eternal Punishment (PS1)  (Read 10606 times)

blaze

• View Profile
Undubbing Persona 2 - Batsu/Eternal Punishment (PS1)
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:15:32 am »
Ever since the PSP game got released I was eagerly waiting for it to be localized so an undub could be made but sadly that isn't the case and I really wanted to be able to play it after enjoying Tsumi/Innocent Sin but the horrible voices were the only thing keeping me from doing so.

So after thinking about it and having nothing better to do I decided to do an undub of it for those who wanted it as well as for myself, now I unfortunately don't have any experience doing this however in my frustration I was able to revert the cutscene audio back to Japanese although there have been some syncing issues later on but for a stupid person like me it is the best I could do so far however I have been running into a lot of problems when it comes to the battle voices and was hoping to get some assistance so I'm able to do it myself.

I'm not asking anyone to do it for me and I am more than happy to take the time and effort to learn although I'm quite the idiot.

What is undubbed
  • Cutscenes
  • Normal dialouge however has syncing issues

What usn't undubbed
  • Battle voices
  • Demon sounds

Any assistance is much appreciated.

MrBing

• View Profile
Re: Undubbing Persona 2 - Batsu/Eternal Punishment (PS1)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:59:33 pm »
Is there any way to turn off the voices in the original game? They sound utterly ridiculous...

"We'll hear your excuses at the station." - wtf?

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:30:25 am »
Is there any way to turn off the voices in the original game? They sound utterly ridiculous...

Perhaps you can start your own project to remove the VA work?

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 03:03:35 am »

If you mean an in-game option then there isn't but if you are looking for a patch or something to do that then that is exactly what I'm doing with the undub for it since I don't like the voices and while the Japanese ones aren't much better at least they are tolerable.

I did mention in my first post I'm a little stuck when it comes to the battle voices since I can't locate the file I need to modify as well as I don't think I have the skills to modify it otherwise everything else has Japanese voices.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 04:46:22 am »
I don't own a copy of the game or I'd take a look, but I can say that PS1 voice sounds are usually stored in XA files. You might look through the game files for something with those letters in the name. Windows will not normally read XA files so you could also try to drag files off the CD on a Windows PC. If there are some that won't copy, they're likely XA files or STR movies.

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:33:48 am »
Maybe its just me being stupid but this is all I get when I open it up in CDMage and similar programs and so far all I could get from hours of trial and error was that F0866.EXT was the voice file for the cutscenes, the others are all .BIN files.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:29:24 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by .BIN files exactly, but file extensions are ignored by the PS1 as far as I know.

CDMage is one of the few tools that can extract/import XA format files properly. Have you tried extracting all the file's off the CD using CDMage and then scan them with PSsound.  It can detect XA sounds and convert them to WAV files.

It may be a bit tougher to get the Japanese WAV sounds back into the English disk image, especially if the Japanese file is lager than the English. There's probably a WAV to XA conversion tool, but I've never had to look so I don't really know.

Once you do get the XA voice files back into the game, the Japanese file will probably not be synced with the English timings. There is usually some data in the exe (or an extension of the exe) that tells the game where to start a sound bite and how long to play it.

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 01:33:41 pm »
Sorry, I just looked at the files directly in CDMage and extracted them otherwise I really didn't do much apart from doing some long trial and error tests without knowing what files did what. Like I said I'm pretty stupid.

I'm in the process of scanning them and going through them to find the correct audio track, since there is quite a lot it is taking a while before I'm finished but so far so good with locating the correct file.

I'll look into it.

Yea, I have that issue with the audio in pretty much every time it plays outside of a cutscene however I haven't been able to fix that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:21:21 pm by blaze »

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:21:33 pm »
After these past few months of trying seems like no matter how hard I try I can't replace the battle voices at all even though I know what files I need to replace in the english version since it would just refuse to play the new audio tracks and crash.

Can't seem to be able to resize or alter the space needed for the new audio files either, if possible any amount of assistance for this would be very welcome.

kristigurl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:53:49 pm »
You know, the Atlus fanboys might come after me brandishing torches and pitchforks for sayings this, but I think the game just needs a retranslation, period. I mean the original text translation actually kept me from enjoying the game out right, most so than even the voice overs did. It seemed poorly worded, clunky, and even questionable at times. Atlus may be cool for bringing games over here that wouldn't have otherwise, but that was more later on anyhow and their translations during this time period were not too great.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 04:54:02 am »
I am by no means an Atlus fanboy, but I do like the first three Persona games. And I have to say, yeah, Eternal Punishment's translation can be really spotty. It at least needs a text edit to revert all the changed names like Ellen, Mary, Brad, etc. Innocent Sin's fan and official translations, as well as SMT: Persona 1's translation, were all far better. At least Batsu's translation was better than Revelations'.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 08:57:47 am »
I would be more than happy to do my best to re-translate it as well since I'm also not happy with the translation myself but as of right now I want to take things a little slowly and see if I can replace the audio before I jump into trying to redo all text since I'm still a beginner at this and a huge fan of the first 3 Persona games that want fans to experience the PS1 versions.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 06:32:17 am »
We're a rare breed, blaze! Hahaha. I personally love Maki and the Mikage-cho Defense Force the most. Everyone considers P1 to be horrible, though. Makes me sad.

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 06:37:45 am »
no, persona 1 is just dated

kristigurl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »
I am by no means an Atlus fanboy, but I do like the first three Persona games. And I have to say, yeah, Eternal Punishment's translation can be really spotty. It at least needs a text edit to revert all the changed names like Ellen, Mary, Brad, etc. Innocent Sin's fan and official translations, as well as SMT: Persona 1's translation, were all far better. At least Batsu's translation was better than Revelations'.

To be honest, I should probably finally play Persona 1. At the time, and even when I started revisting these sort of games, it didn't interest me much because it's a first person dugeon crawler and I used to hate them with a passion, but now I am more open minded to those sort of things... And really it was Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey that helped with that, lol.

November 02, 2014, 01:43:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I would be more than happy to do my best to re-translate it as well since I'm also not happy with the translation myself but as of right now I want to take things a little slowly and see if I can replace the audio before I jump into trying to redo all text since I'm still a beginner at this and a huge fan of the first 3 Persona games that want fans to experience the PS1 versions.

I couldn't really get into Persona 3, it was just too full on non-dating dating sim to me, too little actual game play in the traditional sense, too much text interactions that seemed to lead no where. I mean it wasn't as bad as 4 in that regard though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:51:58 pm by kristigurl »

tathra

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 05:20:12 pm »
I think the game just needs a retranslation, period.
TradukoSoft is translating the psp version.  that'll take care of everything requested in this thread - undub and better translation, plus smoother play with better mechanics.  hopefully it wont take more than a year or 2...

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 12:15:50 am »
TradukoSoft is translating the psp version.  that'll take care of everything requested in this thread - undub and better translation, plus smoother play with better mechanics.  hopefully it wont take more than a year or 2...
Thing is as great as that is there is still some that want to have the PS1 version available and this project is meant to help with that, I'm also excited about the translation and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Also once I get some more knowledge with this I plan on restoring the music from the PS1 version of persona to the PSP one since the new soundtrack really sucks.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 01:08:15 am »
Also once I get some more knowledge with this I plan on restoring the music from the PS1 version of persona to the PSP one since the new soundtrack really sucks.
Could you make a version where you keep A Lone Prayer as the battle theme but restore all the other songs? The battle theme from Revelations: Persona is terrible and ear-bleeding.

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 05:29:09 am »
Could you make a version where you keep A Lone Prayer as the battle theme but restore all the other songs? The battle theme from Revelations: Persona is terrible and ear-bleeding.
First off is figuring out how to insert the songs first before trying to make a patch for it but when/if a patch is made I'll make it so you can pick and choose the tracks you want to replace.

For now it's a matter of learning from more experienced people and mostly trial and error since I was able to figure out the correct files but am still unable to change them without it crashing on me.

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 01:33:48 pm »
Bit of an update for those wondering how I'm going and I got to admit that I'm really stuck since I can't seem to be able to reinsert the new audio without the game crashing on me, hopefully I could get some advice or pointers to how I can do this.