News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: (GBA) Hikaru no Go  (Read 2850 times)

ckrit

• View Profile
(GBA) Hikaru no Go
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:03:07 am »
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone would like to help me make a full translation of the Hikago games on GBA. I know absolutely nothing about programming or romhacking, but if someone could dump me the script, I'd love to start working on it. I know how to play Go, so understanding the rules or terminology won't be a problem. I have no objection of doing this under whichever group name.

As for experience, I haven't translated any games before, but I regularly work on business mails, articles, youtube videos, company faq's and things like that on the side. Have been translating manga as well, but I'd like some game translating experience as well.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: (GBA) Hikaru no Go
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:08:44 am »
Hi there,
Just for the sake of clarifty, and not meaning anything about me giving a hand (as I'm already tied with a ton of things to do...):
- Do you mean the 2 Hikaru no go games?

and

- Are you aware that these have quite a few graphics that contain Japanese, which would need graphical edition - and are you proposing to handle that too?

Just trying to sweeten the deal for others to opt in. ;)
Good luck!

Also, you might want to have this posted in the "Help wanted" section, as looking for a hacker. ;)

ckrit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:38 am »
Yup, those are the ones. Like I said, I know nothing about romhacking, so I wasn't aware about any graphical editing. That said, I can do anything Japanese related, but that's it. :)

I originally wanted to post this in the help wanted ads, but I didn't know where to do so (typing this I just found the submit button  ::) )

Thanks for the help!

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »
I intend to work on them sooner or later, but I'm already very busy with other projects.
If no one offer help for the next 6 months, I may propose myself :)

tashi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:49:57 pm »
I love hikago, but unfortunately I'm more of a translator than a romhacker. I've never tried to hack GBA before, but I'll give script dumping a go and post my results tonight.

Unrelated, but gotta ask: ckrit, wanna play go sometime? :)

*edit1; As I vaguely recall reading a long time ago, GBA games use S-JIS encoding, and in good form Hikaru no Go 1 and 2 both use S-JIS encoding, and neither script is compressed.

*edit2; These are sort of raw and incomplete, but they were super easy to make with EsperKnight's SJIS dumper
hikaru no go 1 script dump
hikaru no go 2 script dump

I think the easiest workflow is to make a proper table file full of control codes, dump with cartographer, and insert with Atlas. Therefore, I wouldn't necessarily try to start translating with these rough scripts, but you can get an idea of the size and scope, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:52:28 pm by tashi »

ckrit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:27:37 am »
I love hikago, but unfortunately I'm more of a translator than a romhacker. I've never tried to hack GBA before, but I'll give script dumping a go and post my results tonight.

Unrelated, but gotta ask: ckrit, wanna play go sometime? :)

*edit1; As I vaguely recall reading a long time ago, GBA games use S-JIS encoding, and in good form Hikaru no Go 1 and 2 both use S-JIS encoding, and neither script is compressed.

*edit2; These are sort of raw and incomplete, but they were super easy to make with EsperKnight's SJIS dumper
hikaru no go 1 script dump
hikaru no go 2 script dump

I think the easiest workflow is to make a proper table file full of control codes, dump with cartographer, and insert with Atlas. Therefore, I wouldn't necessarily try to start translating with these rough scripts, but you can get an idea of the size and scope, I guess.

Thanks for the help tashi, this has indeed given me a nice view of how much work that lies ahead. (which is pretty doable, they're pretty short games after all.

And I'd love to play a game once, are you on KGS by any chance?

I intend to work on them sooner or later, but I'm already very busy with other projects.
If no one offer help for the next 6 months, I may propose myself :)

I will probably start making a rough translation soon using the script tashi has dumped as a reference. If no one else wants to claim this, please let me know when you're free to work on it.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 05:51:34 am »
Not sure if you're aware, but there's a partial translation for the first game available on this site and a text dumper/inserter tool in the abandoned section.

For Hikaru no Go 2, I checked and it appears to already support English. That makes the project immensely easier. If you're creative, you might be able to do a decent translation by just opening the GBA image in a hex editor and typing the English over the Japanese.

Space for text would probably be the hard part.