News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Any easy to use side scrolling game creators?  (Read 4935 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Any easy to use side scrolling game creators?
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:40:42 am »
I wanted to make either a SMB or castlevania like game for windows but haven't been able to find any programs that are easy to use or understand. Simple stuff requires scripts in some of them. So does anyone have any suggestions. I'd prefer if it were easy to use on the level of RPG maker at least and work for Windows 8.

Hopefully the program has a good set of premade graphics too.

MrBing

• View Profile
Re: Any easy to use side scrolling game creators?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »
Wrong forum.

Anyway, every game worth making will have scripting involved in it. No way around that. As for the art, opengameart.org has lots of free artistic resources.

Your game will be a lot of work. Games aren't made for the creator's enjoyment in the making, but for sake of the enjoyment of players. Game makers are toy makers. You may be expecting that making a game will make you popular and liked, but this is rarely the case.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:47:45 pm »
No, I'm not expecting to get popular from it, I've made many hacks in the past and haven't gotten that popular from that, despite the amount of work I put into it. Anyway, RPG maker doesn't require scripts just to walk around and has premade tilesets that you can use. Needing a script just to walk and jump seems like more work than necessary. Included tilesets would also show you how tilesets are supposed to look and work, so I can easily import my own later.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:30:20 pm »
I'd recommend GameMaker by YoYoGames. They have free and paid versions and, while you can actually do some decent stuff with drag-and-drop functionality, they also offer advanced scripting.

Take a look!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:37:25 am »
I did say easy to use.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:29 am »
Do you expect there to be something easier than Game Maker?

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »
Do you expect there to be something easier than Game Maker?

This. You're not going to find a magic bullet for this stuff; pretty much everything is going to require a reasonable amount of effort and learning on your part.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:51:51 pm »
I figured the Super Mario World tools would be pretty easy at this point, considering the rate people are churning out SMW hacks.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:16:11 am »
Not to chastise you, but you have a misconception about RPG Maker. You do need scripts for even the simple things, like opening a door or a chest. Just because it's a few lines of "OpenDoor, ChangeSprite", it doesn't mean that isn't a script. Most of the game maker tools will require some learning.

theloon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 01:02:36 pm »
I strongly agree that Game Maker is your best bet.  Pending that, here are some alternatives:

http://gamedev.sourceforge.net/
http://jumpcraft.com/
http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/lgck-builder-game-construction-kit/2780/
I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/