News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Looking for some information about PS2-compatible PS3s & PS2 Fats  (Read 5337 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Hello, everyone. So, I had recently noticed a lot of my favorite games--Parasite Eve, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Final Fantasy XII, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Parasite Eve II--have gotten ring-shaped scratches after a play session in my PS2 Slim. It turns out that they sit crooked in the center disc-holder! Yikes! I'm surprised that A. my games haven't been rendered unplayable, and B. it still plays anything at all!

I'm not too adept at fixing these kinds of things and I have no idea who could, and even if I found someone, I have no money at the present time to pay for their services. So, I thought I should just replace it next month when I get paid.

EDIT: I just tried putting in the same game that I tested before, which sat crooked. It now sits in there straight... so I'm wondering if this is a self-induced problem. If it is, it happens commonly enough that I'm still considering replacing it.

Since I discovered all the PS2 games I'm ever going to want in my collection are going to be compatible with 20 and 60 GB PS3s, I had been thinking of getting one. They're not overly expensive, after all! However, I had some concerns that the soldering on the old PS3s would melt after a time, as I heard--it's inevitable and just happens. I heard some tell that a version of the PS3 that comes with Metal Gear Solid 4 is PS2-compatible and doesn't have the melting problem, but that was years ago, and I only ever heard of it here on RHDN.

So, my first question is: would it be viable for me to get one of the early PS3s that can play PS2 games, or is the danger of the soldering melting too great?

I then turned my attention to PS2 Fats, which have the disc enter in an entirely different way and runs less risk of the center disc-holder coming off center, or so I assume. It sounds like a great idea, and it'd be much cheaper to transfer over to it, so I have a question about it, too.

My second question is: if I wouldn't be interested in a PS2-compatible PS3 due to that lethal defect being a valid concern, do you guys think I should get a PS2 Fat instead? Does it have any advantages over a PS2 Slim?

Thanks for your time, have a great day! :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:11:19 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Looking for some information about PS2-compatible PS3s & PS2 Fats
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:55:51 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't take the risk of buying an old PS3 for that. But that's just me.
I don't know the differences between PS2 versions, sorry.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »
the big reason i got a fat ps2 was the hard drive support

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »
You can use Free McBoot on most PS2 slims to run most PS2 games over a network share bypassing the need for disc entirely, keeping them from getting any worse. This doesn't work for PS1 games however.

I'd also advise steering clear of first gen PS3 with the good compatibility. Unfortunately, few of them are in good working order (ones that are seem over priced as well) today thanks to that soldering issue. Even ones that have been repaired seem to eventually go out again. I'd love to have a backwards compatible PS3 as well, but that's the sad reality in my opinion.  :'(
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:32:41 pm »
I tried that network sharing bit years ago, much like with the USB there's a bottleneck with the PS2 because of how dated the connectors are.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:23:05 pm »
It works perfectly fine with all of my games that I have tried. There's far more bandwidth than there is via USB.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:39:57 pm »
I'd also like to point out that the emulation of PS2 games wasn't perfect. There was a lot of texture issues with games. I don't have a specific list, but it's quite noticeable on some of them.

There are probably better options, as have been pointed out in this thread.

My first PS3 was the version that came with MGS4, and even though it was a rugged beast, the disc drive eventually went in it. That said, it was the 80 gig version.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 01:14:38 am »
I really don't know much about Free McBoot and the like, though. It seems too complicated for me to get a handle on.

What about PS2 Fats? Are they any better with handling discs?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 01:17:39 am »
i've never had a problem with legitimate discs in my fat ps2, in fact it will actually read dual layer games unlike my slim

my batch of ESR discs don't work in it though

freemcboot is relatively easy if you can find someone to install it for you (i had to macguyver my old slim with a twist tie, straw, and piece of cardboard and use my friend's swapmagic to install it) or have a hardmodded ps2

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:28 pm »
Whats this problem with original run ps3s? I currently have one with a fan mod installed and I want to know what I have to watch out for.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:36 pm »
Poor soldering led to a lot of issues. In addition to the soldering issues, which resulted in overheating (and perhaps in part because of that) the disk drives were also pretty poor.

The one good aspect is that the system uses separate lasers for DVDs and BluRays. The issue, at least for me was, the DVD laser burnt out really quickly. The BR laser worked for much longer, and the system survived a lot of abuse, but it was very finicky.

Edit: As an example (and this is strange I know), there was what appeared to be a soldering issue where I had to leave the system off for an hour every time I shut it off. It would work like a charm, run games for 7+ hours at a time after it was left off for a while, but it refused to read game disk if it was shut off, and not left off for at least 60 minutes. It survived like that for over a year and half before I finally replaced the disk drive as a whole.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:21:57 pm by Next Gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 12:22:14 am »
So can this lead to framerate and sound issues? I was playing Nier and the sound kinda started poping and framerate stuttered. This may just be the game but I was wondering if it could be the ps3.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 04:18:31 am »
My first guess on that would be the game (though that's one game I never had issues with). Then again, errors could easily show themselves in different ways. I'd try different games, and see if you also have any issues. The first sign of a dying laser is that games will take longer and longer to load up when you put them in the system. If it's just the disk drive, then it can be replaced (assuming you want to go that route). I know that disk drives for the older systems are still available, I don't know if they are backwards compatible.

I keep a PS2 around still, and I never got much use out of the PS3 in that regard (outside the PS2 Classics on the store).