News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia SRAM  (Read 2662 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Tales of Phantasia SRAM
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:48 pm »
I'm not sure if it's just the game or maybe it's a big issue with SRAM in general, but having a little saving/loading problem.

The original file size was 8KB, value of 03 set at FFD8 and C0FFD8.  The SRAM in Geiger's ended basically at '2000'  I changed BOTH values now to 04 which doubled the SRAM size to 16KB.  Problem being now, it won't load OR write anything beyond that '2000' mark still.

Is there an actual reasoning behind this or is it a system issue that I can't really bypass?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:10:18 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia SRAM
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36:26 pm »
How are you accessing the SRAM? I believe ToP maps SRAM slightly differently than most HiROM cartridges so that the original 8kb is at $806000, and if you added a second 8kb it'd be at $816000 (as opposed to the more typical $206000 / $216000).

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue and Geiger's just isn't reading/writing the SRAM from/to disk correctly at all, in which case I have no idea.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:58:41 am »
It reads and writes originally from B0:6000-B0:8000 I think it was. It just won't go above that no matter the address. I'm assuming it can't be read with Geiger's so it may be stuck at the 8kb limit.

Edit: Wait what?  It seems Civilization on SNES has 256Kbit SRAM and so do a number of other games.  I'm checking Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 atm.  How the heck does it access the other areas of SRAM?  I'm wondering if I'm unable to do it at this point because I expanded TOP to be 8MB.

Edit 2: Ahhh, I've noticed that most games that use 256Kbit SRAM are using it as one giant save slot.  There are no multiples.  How it transfers data though still baffles me when it hits the limit, but it'd make sense that this wouldn't work actually.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:37:48 am by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:39:25 pm »
I was able to read an extra 4kb of SRAM from B16000-B17FFF just fine using bsnes, though in Geiger's it (incorrectly) mirrors B06000-B07FFF instead.

I don't know if snes9x 1.52 or 1.53 fixes this. It's a shame that (imo) the best SNES debugger is based on such an old and inaccurate emulator version.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »
Oh that's.. really bothersome then =/  I really am not a fan of using BSNES as it's overly complicated to me.  I'll just make do with three slots still then, but it's good to know that it's an emulator issue.