News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: CrystalTile2 and TileMolester questions  (Read 5473 times)

Mewster

• View Profile
CrystalTile2 and TileMolester questions
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »
I have some question about those tools.

About CrystalTile2: when I select as "image pattern" the option "map" the tile viewer shows only a 1x1 tile, and I don't know how to revert this.
Also: is there a way to use a palette from the same file loaded, i.e. from an arbitrary offset?

About Tile Molester: similarly as CrystalTile2, how does the choosing a palette from an arbitrary offset work? (Palette  -> Import from This file -> I write offset and size but I can't seem to enter hex values on the offset. It does the "bling" windows sound when I use A B C D E characters)

Thanks in advance

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: CrystalTile2 and TileMolester questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:03:19 pm »
On CT2.
map is aimed more at GBA and DS stuff (you should also have a map offset for this), however if you select the normal mode you should be able to increase the sizes. The arrow keys, possibly modified by shift or control if memory serves do well here.
Palette stuff. In the hex editor windows should be a "Data-> palette" and "palette->Data" options which do much like they say. Not the best, especially as you can not see the results immediately and there is no shift by one colour option (the main thing I miss from TilEd 2002), but it is there.

Never really used Tile Molester I am afraid.

Equally if you are collecting tile viewer/editors I should also link up http://code.google.com/p/tiledggd/

FinS

• View Profile
    • nothing much
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:08:59 am »
If I remember right you have to convert the tile molester values to base 10.

Mewster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:54:52 am »
Thanks to everyone.
Fast: yes, I was missing the hotkeys to enlarge the tile window, thanks for the palette stuff too.
I took a look at that editor: its gui is nicer but I think it still lacks lot of things (I see them planned on the page, though).

Fins: I didn't expected TM palette function to convert the value to base 10.

Questions again!
TM and CrystalTile2: Is there a way to shift the palette by pixels?
CrystalTile2: is there a way to change to the 2-dimensional bpp encoding instead of the standard 1-dimensional used?
Is there somewhere the source code of the tool? (the developer website seems down D:)

I'm going to take a look at TM sources and see if I can add something like the pixel palette shifting
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:22:39 am by Mewster »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 09:08:11 am »
If there is a way to shift by pixels (beyond clicking however many bits forward and pressing convert again) I have not seen it on CT2. I would love it as DS games do like to put random amounts of padding in their headers for all files and that makes palette format reverse engineering annoying (I would have stuck with Tiled2002 which has such features but it is not great for custom tile sizes and the DS does love those).
Source code. I have some of the very old source code (2007 where 2010 saw the last versions, and a lot of newer developments missing--- nowadays most of the text is in an external file, here is was still buried in the source code) but I would be impressed if you managed to get it to compile. I mainly only link it to people that are curious and might be able to pull something from it, still for the searchers http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/utilities/download-crystaltile2-source-code-september-2007-f31478.html has it.

The tileGGD stuff I linked mainly as it is really flexible as far as 2d stuff goes, about the only problems I have really had is with some of the odd DS edit, meant to make sure to say it was the hardware 3d texture formats rather than just normal textures, texture formats but most things are troubled by those. Not having an editor is probably its only downside there.

I am not sure what you mean by the "2-dimensional bpp encoding instead of the standard 1-dimensional used". If you just mean the standard "change the encoding" then
http://gbatemp.net/pix/32303/6wizardozndsdemohack15jul2011.png

Where it says GBA 8bpp on the image above if you click that then you have a whole bunch of options, probably the best I have seen in any tile editor (tileggd probably still beats it though). There is a keyboard combo as well but I can not remember it (more or a muscle memory thing and I have not got a windows machine set up with it right now).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:07:31 pm by FAST6191 »

Mewster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:30:14 am »
Nope, the dimensional thing I'm talking about it's the one that in TM is under View -> Mode -> 2-Dimensional (sorry if I don't know the right terms... I know almost nothing about the technical encoding stuff, just bruteforce my way through)

I found too those 2007 sources, but I think they are too old to make them valuable. I'm instead working on TM; "added" DS format support on the "file/open" window atm (... i just added a bunch of rows in the xml ._.) but i just added that shift palette stuff too
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:04:15 pm by Mewster »

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:31:14 am »
Those labels are completely nonsensical. Obviously the image is always in 2d. More fitting labels would be "1d"->"tiled scan" and "2d"->"linear scan".