News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I don't know where to post  (Read 2719 times)

a1999a

• View Profile
I don't know where to post
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:45:17 am »
Hi everybody I am a new user on romhacking and one of the reasons I signed up here is that I just had an awesome idea that is:
open-source (free) translation
So basically this is how it works it is a way of translation I thought of recently it is that anyone can participate in the translation and it will be free and open to anyone.
So my main idea is I want to use this system to see how it works out but i want to know where should I post it do I post them in personal project or rom hacking discussion or general discussion.

and also what do you think of this new way of translating and hacking tell your thoughts.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: I don't know where to post (open projects)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:23:31 am »
Fully open projects have been tried before (mainly in some of the newer consoles rather than the 16 bit and earlier stuff places like this focus a lot upon), fully open ones rarely work well for various reasons ranging from people thinking google translate works to widely varying tones and skill leading to an inconsistent translation. It works slightly better for more general hacks (level designs and whatnot), however even here it is more common for hackers and editors or demonstrable skill to team up and do most of the work behind closed doors.

Some hackers have been known to take a game, work it up and post the formats/proof of concept hacks as well as tools and leave it to others, this can work but not every game that has tools/info released like that has gone on to get a translating in the next couple of years. Granted the targets of most ROM hacking exercises do not change so 10 months or 10 years does not matter so much. I am not so sure why this is, sure translators of skill are not the most common but I do not think it is the whole story.

Other hackers have done full projects and then released the tools and info for those wanting to do other languages, this has been seen to work reasonably well.

You are free to do what you want, though the open source model has been demonstrated to work for various things outside ROM hacking* it has not really worked within it.

*I say that but even though the Linux kernel is open source the chances or someone being able to walk in and add some spaghetti are quite small owing to the review/inner circle type things.

a1999a

• View Profile
Re: I don't know where to post
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:37:10 am »
thank you Fast6191 I understand that but the game I want try this on has already been translated completely I did this because there is no patch for this game.

the game is Super Robot Wars A for GBA
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/582124-super-robot-taisen-a/faqs/17517

I will start with this project to see how things go if it works fine and the text is patched I might start other projects

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:53:14 pm »
You're fully aware that *that* translation is by no means written in proper English, right? It's "acceptable" to understand what's going on, but is in serious need of an editor.

Even if you are able to insert the text into the rom, there's no guarantee that all the text is gonna be there in the same order you have it in the document.

Also, the battle quotes are not there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the game translated, but I'm under the impression you're understimating the amount of work needed to get this done.

And the "open for everyone" idea you talk about seems rather vague. Could you please elaborate?

a1999a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »
Hi dashman I will admit I am not a good hacker or translator and English is my second language the only thing I can do for this project is being an organizer for example this is what I will need
1- need a translator checker
2- need a hacker that will insert the text (this part is open for everyone) and the list of people goes on
3-people who can tell me about bugs and fix them(this is also open)
and also what I mean by open is people can get the current patch and edit it how they like and then send it to me again and update it every few weeks
I made this idea for hacker that want to translate but don't understand Japanese because there are a lot of people that wan to be part of groups but can't
I also am doing this because of a lot of translations are being dropped

sorry for the messy writing
and by the way dashman you are one of the people who inspired me to do this because of your srw gc translation

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:56:34 pm »
You can count me as well in the list of people who aren't either good hackers or translators AND whose second language happens to be English (in case my typos in the previous post didn't make it clear enough).

There's a lot of good intentions in what you're planning and that's very commendable, but good intentions alone don't make a project. You need something from where to start working.

The GC project started because we discovered a way to exploit an emulator to produce a translation with little to no hacking experience AND we made tools that help make the process easy enough. It was then when it was declared "open" and people stepped forward and joined it.

In your case it's gonna be more complicated, but if you want your project to take off, the least you have to do is investigate the rom and program tools for extracting and reinserting text on it. That's a huge step forward, but once that's covered, you can start asking for translators, editors, beta-testers and decide if you want it to happen behind closed doors or make it an open project.

If you don't give something to start working with, there's no difference from saying "hey guys, won't you do everything for me?", even though you might be more than willing to help with whatever is needed.

Please don't take this little sermon as a discouragement, but more like a wake-up call. You wouldn't be the first one to be disappointed after starting something that sounds great on paper.

If you have the time and you really want to get this game translated, there's good documentation about most of what you need in this site and a lot of nice people ready to point you in the right direction if you ask the proper questions.