News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [PSX] G.O.D pure - English Text-only Translation  (Read 12375 times)

melonseller

• View Profile
[PSX] G.O.D pure - English Text-only Translation
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:47:58 pm »
[Better make this clear, this isn't a romhack. Or at least not unless someone offers to make it one.]

I played this amazing game a few months ago, and I was honestly surprised there wasn't any sort of translation effort going on with it, so I decided to do it myself.

G.O.D pure is a PlayStation 1 game which is a remake of G.O.D on the Super Famicon. In my opinion, the pure version is better in every way. The gameplay has been improved greatly and, from what I can tell from my not-so-long time playing G.O.D on SFC, most of the dialogue has been rewritten. I consider G.O.D pure to be the definitive version.

The goal of this translation is to provide more of a professional-feeling localization to the game G.O.D pure on the PlayStation 1. I feel like this game deserves an amazing translation and I'm hoping to give it one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15jl1MG92z8UwAmlk67zH-lyYAsjnFs3zaUD0M6m21qU/edit?usp=sharing

This spreadsheet has the translation so far in it. It has spoilers in it, but the first ccouple of sheets are more info and such than translations. The first sheet shows progress in pretty much arbitrary percents. Feel free to PM/message me if you see something's up about a translation.

Right now it's just me working on this, and I can't hack (I tried my best but failed, haha) so unless someone wants to hop on and give this a good hacking, it'll just be a script translation. If you'd like to help with anything, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or talk to me on the romhacking.net IRC channel.

Depending on how popular this becomes (I doubt it'll be very popular at all) I might make a blog or something to post updates on as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:16:30 pm by melonseller »

midget35

• View Profile
Re: [PSX] G.O.D pure - English Text-only Translation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:27:07 pm »
Fantastic! Thanks for letting us know and keep us updated :)

What kind of RPG is this? What other snes games does it compare to?

melonseller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:46:06 pm »
Fantastic! Thanks for letting us know and keep us updated :)

What kind of RPG is this? What other snes games does it compare to?
I like to think of it as Final Fantasy and Earthbound put together. Plays like your typical turn-based console JRPG. There's some other stuff, but that's basically all you need to know about it.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:17:36 am »
Pretty much Final Fantasy meets Science Fiction. There is not much in common with Earthbound, only the intro got a present setting and the game is mostly serious (with some small slices of humour though) and not wacky.

Didn't know until now that this game got a Playstation port though, I'll head straight to youtube/nico nico to check some footage :)

Edit: Uhh, the graphic update looks gorgeous! The SFC original is also pretty beautiful though, I guess the preference depends on if you like 16bit pixelart or 32 rendered graphics. The SFC soundtrack sounds slightly better in some occasions though.

Original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Znvefvva6I
Pure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfJblBRUbGs
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:24:46 am by ChronoMoogle »

melonseller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:54:29 pm »
Pretty much Final Fantasy meets Science Fiction. There is not much in common with Earthbound, only the intro got a present setting and the game is mostly serious (with some small slices of humour though) and not wacky.
Yeah, the bits of comedy mixed with mostly seriousness is why I chose Earthbound. Although, I haven't played a lot of Earthbound, but from what I've heard it gets pretty serious. Maybe I'm mistaken. I'll finish Earthbound one day! The intro definitely gives an Earthbound feel, and actually one of the characters in G.O.D reminds me of a character from Earthbound.

There's a surprising amount of people who don't know about the PSX version... which is weird to me, since the PSX version is a lot better in my opinion. Actually, though, fun fact, I discovered the SNES G.O.D completely randomly a couple months ago by using a website that gives you a random game to play. Lucky me, to be able to get to play this great game!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the AMAZING 3DCG cutscenes! They're so gorgeous! They also get a little atmospheric too. The second CG you see has amazing music.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:04:24 pm by melonseller »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »
EarthBound is a pretty silly game, but the late game plays it a bit more seriously.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 04:42:21 pm »
The PS1 version does in fact look pretty awesome! in fact that psx video is actually one of my uploads ;) so props for linking it! anyways, yeah i'm quite surprised no one has tookin a crack at translating either version. not sure what you guys perfer but both looks & plays quite excellent imho.

melonseller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:56 pm »
Alright, I finished the main dialogue of Part 0, so here's a link to that spreadsheet. Obviously, spoilers are afoot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15jl1MG92z8UwAmlk67zH-lyYAsjnFs3zaUD0M6m21qU/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to read it and give me any suggestions / corrections / etc. Although I'd prefer you e-mail / PM me them, so as to not flood the thread with stuff like "burabura is blabla".

So I guess status update: just going to finish getting every single bit of text I can from "part 0". Talking to everyone and examining everything takes a lot more work than I expected, haha.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 01:46:01 am »
The graphics seems heavily compressed, as expected from a late era highly polished graphically SNES game.
But even the text as well is compressed in the SFC version.

Font begins in 168200 (1bpp, 2tiles/row: each letter is 2x2 8*8 tiles I have no idea how to show it besides resorting to this less than ideal method).

、。.?!-~()《》「」『』%0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZrぁあぃいぅうぇえぉおかがきぎくぐけげこごさざしじすずせぜそぞただちぢっつづてでとどなにぬねのはばぱひびぴふぶぷへべぺほぼぽまみむめもゃやゅゆょよらりるれろわをんァアィイゥウェエォオカガキギクグケゲコゴサザシジスズセゼソゾタダチヂッツヅテデトドナニヌネノハバパヒビピフブプヘベペホボポマミムメモャヤュユョヨラリルレロワヲンヴΩ

Followed by 807 kanji.

Since the game uses the hi-res display mode (like with Marvelous Another Treasure Island), you can just stretch a 8x8 font x2 horizontally and it will show correctly without any further hacking. I see however that the place names don't use said mode, so it may require just pre-render the entire name for the location using the kanji tiles.

I hope wacky Earthbound-like games get translated someday (mainly Moon, and the Tengai Makyou series no one seems to care about at all) so I'm rooting for you. I hope you'll find someone who can undertake this project.

(The PSX version seems to be lacking.... a certain charm compared to the stunning graphically SFC version. But from what I see the PSX one has more text, like the "Open your eyes" line)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:51:28 am by GHANMI »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 09:49:19 am »
Followed by 807 kanji.

Since the game uses the hi-res display mode (like with Marvelous Another Treasure Island), you can just stretch a 8x8 font x2 horizontally and it will show correctly without any further hacking. I see however that the place names don't use said mode, so it may require just pre-render the entire name for the location using the kanji tiles.

I don't remember the game that well (haven't played much). But as I understand correctly the coding difference between normal and hi-res is that hi-res displays the entire tilemap (or if enabled for only a portion of the screen like it is, the entire width of the tilemap for those scanlines). (whereas under normal resolution, only a quarter of the tilemap is displayed at one time, to give the game room to load data as the map is scrolled and avoid scrolling glitches like the NES)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

melonseller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
The graphics seems heavily compressed, as expected from a late era highly polished graphically SNES game.
But even the text as well is compressed in the SFC version.

Font begins in 168200 (1bpp, 2tiles/row: each letter is 2x2 8*8 tiles I have no idea how to show it besides resorting to this less than ideal method).

、。.?!-~()《》「」『』%0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZrぁあぃいぅうぇえぉおかがきぎくぐけげこごさざしじすずせぜそぞただちぢっつづてでとどなにぬねのはばぱひびぴふぶぷへべぺほぼぽまみむめもゃやゅゆょよらりるれろわをんァアィイゥウェエォオカガキギクグケゲコゴサザシジスズセゼソゾタダチヂッツヅテデトドナニヌネノハバパヒビピフブプヘベペホボポマミムメモャヤュユョヨラリルレロワヲンヴΩ

Followed by 807 kanji.

I hope wacky Earthbound-like games get translated someday (mainly Moon, and the Tengai Makyou series no one seems to care about at all) so I'm rooting for you. I hope you'll find someone who can undertake this project.

(The PSX version seems to be lacking.... a certain charm compared to the stunning graphically SFC version. But from what I see the PSX one has more text, like the "Open your eyes" line)
Thanks for looking into the hacking stuff a little bit. I'm not really sure how it all works, so I'm just happy someone decided to look at it. Someone else I asked to help came to the same conclusion; found all the fonts and stuff, but not willing to go any further. Apparently it's a big task with the script being compressed. Something about some assembly knowledge being needed. I hope one day someone decides to help.

Also, I like the PSX version more because of the adjusted gameplay, and the new 3DCG cutscenes. And yes, there is more dialogue, and also rewritten dialogue. Which, from a translation standpoint, is kinda sad because it means the SFC/PSX versions need to be translated separately.

I guess a small status update: I may actually have a job soon, so progress might (probably not) slow down. I've been a little busy with stuff recently anyway so I haven't had much time to do anything. I'm working on Part 1 right now though.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:00:59 am »
The file GOD.DAT seems have all the images in TIM,
fonts, sprites, scenarios,

melonseller

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 11:41:35 am »
The file GOD.DAT seems have all the images in TIM,
fonts, sprites, scenarios,

That's really cool! I wonder why it's ordered all weird like that though. 一 isn't with the other numbers, and there's a space between 六 and 七.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »
Careful! This is one of those games that uses multiple palettes to make font characters overlap each other in the TIM. You have to view the font TIMs with each palette to see all the font characters.

i started investigating this game yesterday. Relative searching wasn't directly useful for making a table file. Basic kana aren't stored in the same order as the font. The game converts 8-bit values into the positon of the character in the actual font. (Sorry, I'm not sure to explain.)

I'm currently working on trying to find how it determines the offsets of the dialogue pointer tables.

Edit:
Okay, got how it finds dialogue pointer tables. (Involves loading values, modifying them a bit, and adding them to an offset, then repeat again to get the offset. I knew that already, but messed up reading the ASM and couldn't reproduce the proper values.)
I also just noticed that the 8-bit text table looks like a modified version of the 8-bit section of SJIS. The lowercase letters and most of the punctuation have been removed, and hiragana is added around the katakana section.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:49:21 pm by Vehek »

SolarBoyMatt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »
Very nice work so far! I played through the SFC version with the help of a walkthrough on gamefaqs, but held off on the PS1 version since there was no walkthrough and the plot and areas are different enough that the SFC walkthrough wasn't helpful.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:54 am »
Just bringing this to your attention if you haven't saw this already, the guys at Dynamic Designs (behind the excellent Chaos Seed translation patch) have already cracked the technical aspects for the SNES version. And they are looking for a translator!
http://www.romhacking.net/helpads/488/

By all means, if you are interested in translating this game, please allow them to use your translation (since it only lacks some lines here and there compared to the PS1 one) or if possible help them translate their text dump so that an English playable version would be finally possible.

melonseller

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 09:06:38 am »
I've joined the effort to translate the SFC version, so this project is now on hold until I finish that. I'll probably end up using the G.O.D translations I do as reference, but I'll still need to check every line since the dialogue is sometimes ever so subtly different.