News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Metroid: Project Base (current version: 0.7.2)  (Read 8466 times)

begrimed

• EA EA EA EA
    • View Profile
    • begrimed
Super Metroid: Project Base (current version: 0.7.2)
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:54:47 am »
Some of you probably already know about this hack. For those of you who don't: sup.

Info copied from Project Base page:
Project Base is a ROM hack of Super Metroid that keeps the original map mostly intact, while adding new stuff. It doesn't force the player to take a new path, or to use any advanced techniques. Well-known sequence breaks and shortcuts have been left alone, with many new ones added. Highly speedrunnable, and with a level of difficulty that is accessible to anyone. Works with Snes9X, ZSNES, higan/BSNES, and on SNES/flash cartridges.

Three alternate versions are now available: Vanilla Palettes, Vanilla Gameplay, and Gameplay Only.

Download it here!
PROJECT BASE OFFICIAL PAGE

FEATURES:
- General movement is less inhibited, with many new tricks made possible
- Modified enemies and bosses, including AI and graphical touch-ups
- Faster elevators, doors, room transitions and item-collection sequences
- Optional new color palette for the entire game
- Bug fixes and polish applied whenever possible
- New rooms added, others expanded and/or merged
- Alternate versions that offer even more ways to enjoy Super Metroid!

SPECIAL MOVES:
- RESPIN -- press jump at any time during a normal fall to resume spinning
- BACK FLIP -- while crouched, hold run, then press and hold jump + back
- BOMB SKIP -- hold down to avoid bomb jumping
- QUICK MORPH #1 -- hold item cancel + press down to instantly morph
- QUICK MORPH #2 -- hold L + press down, only works in the air
- DEMORPH JUMP -- until Spring Ball is equipped, holding run allows spin-jumping straight out of ball form
- SPEED BALL -- with Spring Ball equipped, Samus gains the ability to run at full speed as a ball
- UP SPIN -- while standing still, hold run to easily spin-jump straight up
- SPIN FALL -- hold jump as you fall from a ledge to flip automatically

ENHANCED EQUIPMENT:
- Beam travelling and firing speeds adjusted, auto-fire speed increased
- Charge beam draws energy and ammo drops from enemies toward you, also charges slightly faster
- Speed Booster has become a major power-up with several huge limitations removed
- Horizontal shinesparks can be exited into a full-speed run when Samus touches a slope
- Space Jump no longer stops working after you've fallen too far
- Missiles and super missiles can be fired faster
- Super missiles can be fired straight down while in the air to propel Samus upward
- X-Ray Scope speed increased
- Bomb timer shortened
- Underwater wall jumping and bomb jumping enabled
- Running speed no longer resets after jumping or falling

-----

I've just released version 0.7.2, and probably won't be working on this hack for another year at least. During that time I'll be scouring the internet for feedback and reactions, watching play-throughs and keeping notes on what could be improved. Enjoy the hack and let me know what'cha think!

Also, screenshots, woo!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:59:49 am by begrimed »

bradzx

• View Profile
Re: Super Metroid: Project Base (current version: 0.7)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:53:18 am »
I played your hack 0.6.

Here is playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLExyZ2V9Tde9s4oenqUH12MBuNBFbp3S0

I am going replay of you 0.7 version.  :D
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

begrimed

• EA EA EA EA
    • View Profile
    • begrimed
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:00 pm »
Ohhh hey, what's up man, I remember your play-through of 0.6. Look forward to seeing the return for this version too!

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:55 am »
Oh nothing much.  Just chilling around.   Hee hee.  I am looking forward to play your hack and see anything different from 0.6.  Also you already saw my reaction of 0.6 that you change completely different.  I feel like this is hard mode style to me.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:54:50 pm »
This looks great, I'm gonna have to check this out! :D

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:22:19 pm »
Love the idea but why is Samus head green? It is a big turnoff to fans to change her palette like that. it should be the one thing you avoid changing.   

begrimed

• EA EA EA EA
    • View Profile
    • begrimed
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 05:54:36 pm »
Haha, Samus' palettes in older versions were even worse because I was using a monitor that didn't discern between certain shades very well. Anyway, I wanted more color variety between the suits without taking away from their initial appearance too much, but I will consider nudging the helmet and chestplate colors a bit closer to their original palette next version. You're not the only one who hasn't really been feelin' some of the suit color choices. No promises though!

Thanks for the reply (you too Googie).

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:18:19 pm »
patching in an option,,  switch to 'Classic  Palette' will shut everyone up :D

... if reasonably possible of course. 

Manamiko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 12:45:18 am »
I enjoyed a slow steady playthrough and it was nice. The only thing i ever noticed was in certain spots there may have been an overlap and you get stuck *temporarily* like forward flipping in speed boost mode through a door, being quick enough to unmorph the flip mode on the other side before passing through the doors closing vicinity, and the accelerated door open/shut in this romhack makes the door Shut on samus *which can be reopened by shooting or using a ball bomb* and occasional tiles that I got stuck on while speed boosting. Otherwise great playthrough, ended up at 93% items while skipping a couple things. Really loved the interconnected hidden areas and warps to get around.

begrimed

• EA EA EA EA
    • View Profile
    • begrimed
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 01:03:25 am »
@PhyChris
Patching on alternate suit palettes is really easy to do. If you mean making that an option ingame, then yeah, that's beyond what I can do with ASM on my own currently. Oh, yeah! I did forget to mention, after I've completely finished this hack, I do plan to make a bunch of alternate releases and/or patches that can be applied to the Project Base ROM. A version that leaves the original game's colors untouched, another that *only* changes the colors and rooms, a green-haired version of Auximines' awesome Justin Bailey resprite patch, and so on.

@Manamiko
Yeah, I've run into the temporary door jam a few times myself, but I wasn't able to get myself stuck unless I did that X-ray climb that speedrunners use to break into Tourian early, which would never happen on accident. Do you remember which tiles you got stuck in while speedboosting? I haven't gone over every single room's slopes just yet, but it would help to know problem areas so I can add them to my to-do file. Glad you liked it, and thanks for the feedback.

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »
Releasing optional .IPS's is fine by me :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:54:40 pm by PhyChris »

begrimed

• EA EA EA EA
    • View Profile
    • begrimed
Re: Super Metroid: Project Base (current version: 0.7.2)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 06:09:16 am »
Hey everyone, a respectful bump to let any interested parties know that new versions of Project Base are out. Check the first post of this topic to see the updated screenshots.

0.7.2 is a major release, because it marks the appearance of alternate versions! These have been the most common complaints about the hack so far, so hopefully this satisfies most of them.

Don't like my new colors? Vanilla Palettes reverts the colors to what the original game uses.

Don't like my physics and gameplay mechanic edits? Vanilla Gameplay leaves Samus and her movement untouched, so speedrunners won't experience muscle memory interference if they play this hack too much.

Like the mechanics, but wish you could use them on the original game's layout (or even other hacks)? Gameplay Only gives Samus all of the new abilities and enhancements from Project Base, and nothing else!

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 07:47:19 am »
I'd just like to say that this is my favorite Super Metroid hack. Great job!

begrimed

• EA EA EA EA
    • View Profile
    • begrimed
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 02:40:27 am »
Hey, thanks. That means a lot, considering the quality of some of the hacks that are out now. Any parts that you didn't like, or think could use some more work? You tried any of the alternate versions yet?

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 03:27:41 am »
One thing that I dislike is the altered bomb jump timing. I know the original timing well and have trouble with the new timing.

begrimed

• EA EA EA EA
    • View Profile
    • begrimed
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 03:08:42 pm »
Right on, thanks. I'll someday make a classic bombs patch and include that with a future update. If it helps any in the meantime, 90BPM (beats per minute) is the new rhythm. The original game's rhythm is somewhere around 70.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 04:22:54 pm »
I'm sure I want to reply:
Another good idea for this hack is an option to start the game over again, with all your weapons, missiles, super missiles, power bombs and energy tanks, but all bosses, missile/super missile/power bomb/energy tank upgrades reset. This allows you to beat bosses with any weapon you like, more sequence breaking, and collecting even more missile/super missile/power bomb/energy tank upgrades!

Basically, it would work the same way as the Space-Time Beam glitch. The glitch (unfortunately) doesn't work in Project Base.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.