Finding Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku Kana and English Text Hex's

Started by Bob Liu, April 21, 2014, 05:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Liu

I have used windhex and relative searched to try and find some hex's to start me off so I can then build the table for the game, so far I haven't been having any luck. I used this method for The Missing Colors and Making of Magic Knight but for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the Sega Saturn this hasn't worked, mostly due to the game having multiple types of fonts. I need help to start me off so would any of you guys know how to find out the hex's for a game like this, im really puzzled since my usual trick didn't work so please help me out. I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Gemini

If it can help, the original simply implements S-Jis for the majority of text using the 12x15 font set.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Bob Liu

It would be great if I could view the font but I don't know how to or if you even can, how do people usually go about translating Sega Saturn games anyhow as I really need help on this.

Green_goblin

You need Tile Molester, then examine the files one by one.
I did some research some months ago and the font was very easy to find, probably Gemini remembers where it is stored.

Gemini

From what I can remember, the SS port should have bits of the big font stored right inside stage overlays as 1 BPP 16x15 glyphs. Each has a different set, depending on dialog text and encoding frequencies. I'm not entirely sure about menu text, since it should use a much bigger set than dialog (plus a bunch of extra ones for the hi-res main screen).

Bob Liu

Great that can open them but how would I tell the hex's from this, the font is all just yellow and such so im guessing the game itself sets the text to the specific style set in the menu's and dialogue boxes because they are in a different font style. Good to be making progress with this but now we just need to compute the hex's, im gonna need your help for this one.

Gemini

It wouldn't be a surprise if KCEN simply used S-JIS all over the place with different look-up tables for each font set. If that's not the case, it's probably using a simple incremental glyph mapping.

Bob Liu

Yea it probably does, im still confused on how to compute the hex's with what I got. I need to find the hex's and location of the text right here, DEATH. I will use that offset as a testing ground to find the rest of the hex's like what I did for the others games I worked on. Then I can find the games text in most places by searching for the text's hex's like so CDCECADDD1 and then I can get started.