News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Bounty Sword - SPC Disassemble  (Read 5351 times)

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
Bounty Sword - SPC Disassemble
« on: April 21, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »
Spend about two or three weeks on this...

Here a long report on this, I hope this might be useful for some of you. I hope Disch can use this. I hope I don't seem... pricky in that text.

Constructive Criticism welcome. :)

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Re: Bounty Sword - SPC Disassemble
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:04 am »
lytron dude, you never fail to surprise!  :beer:

Awesome disassemble for the music engine of an interesting game (which has not been touched by romhacking so far)!

I hope this leads to more music engine disassembles in general (you mentioned most of them have a lot of stuff in common) and maybe more interest for this nice unknown game.^^

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:00 pm »
Nice work there on the disassembly, Lytron.

So are you planning on hacking in other songs for this game, ChronoMoogle, or what?

ChronoMoogle

• View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »
Well, I am looking forward to play around and eventually compose with Disch's SPC editor, yes.
About hacking Bounty Sword... probably not by me^^ But I hope somebody will pick it up for a translation in the future.

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:45:09 am »
I wrote another bit about this. This does contain only one new bit of information, else it's the other stuff, but lined up for a different approach. While the first document tried to be arranged in the way the program approaches the topic, this time I wrote it for the way of editing it - mainly focused on Disch for his big project. Otherwise, if someone else want to write an editor for this, he can use it, too, of course! ;)

The new bit of information is: Gokinjo Boukentai uses the same SPC engine!

Yeah, this was ChronoMoogle's lucky week (and he didn't recognize that).

ChronoMoogle

• View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:39:42 am »
My avatar feels honored :D
Awesome, just awesome!  :cookie:

Matrixz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:44:32 am »
Interesting.. I came by the soundtrack of Bounty Sword some time ago and I kind of dig some tracks in it.

Mystic Ark (sometimes dubbed "7th Saga 2") have similar intrument samples to Bounty Sword.. also both sountracks give composer credits to Akihiko Mori. I wonder if the two games sound engines are the same also..?

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tiNhDqnT30

ChronoMoogle

• View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:51 am »
Mystic Ark's samples don't sound similar at all and the programmer was probably someone else than the one from ITL... I don't think the engines could be the same.  :-X

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 04:27:05 pm »
Mystic Ark (sometimes dubbed "7th Saga 2") have similar intrument samples to Bounty Sword.. also both sountracks give composer credits to Akihiko Mori. I wonder if the two games sound engines are the same also..?

Alright, I'm back, I have alot to tell, I'll keep it short:

I just took my first look into Mystic Ark. Seems to be really oldfashioned, in a bad way, even for the time of its release. Mystic Ark is not by the same developer as Bounty Sword, so it is highly unlikely that those games have the same sound engine. Because, it's not that a composer for a game has a SPC engine in his suitcase, it was rather like they get a special editor (like Hiroki Kikuta got) or, they wrote MIDI files and they were transfered by programmers into SPC compatible data afterwards (what Yoko Shimomura reported about her work; there is an interview with both of them out on the internet, there they tell that).

I tested it on Mystic Ark, though, just as a precaution.

THEY USE THE SAME ENGINE. There are some differences, but they are minimal (have to work them out... someday).

This is... freaking weird. But, here is kind of an explanation:

The aforementioned Akihiko Mori who wrote the OST for Mystic Ark (released Apr 1995, developed by Produce, published by Enix), but NOT the OST for Bounty Sword. According to the opening credits, Kouhei Tanaka was the only composer for BS (released Sep 1995, developed by ITL, published by Pioneer). Akihiko Mori was credited for Sound Programmer Duties instead (accompanied by a "(Mint)" extension behind his name... any idea, anyone?).
So, either he departed from Produce to ITL or, what is more likely to me, he was sort of a freelance composer and sound programmer (probably under the company name "Mint"?) who was wandering the lands Veegeedevelopia with his SPC gizmo in his rucksack, selling it on fairs and markets.

Big thanks to you, Matrixz, for pointing this out! Now I have, again, alot of stuff to do! :D

(By the way, Mori seemed to have a bigger output on several SFC games until his death in 1998).

ChronoMoogle

• View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 01:29:07 pm »
Any opinion from Disch yet? Would be interesting to know if he could implement this engine into his editor :)