News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Standard map Pointers  (Read 2362 times)

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
Standard map Pointers
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:53 am »
I just spent over a week trying to rearrange the map order in Hackster. As we all know, the order is random, with Coneria 2F being half way down the list, and Earth and Gurgu 2F-5F are separated from 1F for both. Titans Tunnel is all the way at the bottom, which is the worst one of all.

I moved the pointers to re-order, and it seemed to work at first. I changed all the coords, sprites, and palettes to match, and those did seem to work fine. Only about 80% of it works, and the other maps are partially screwed up. Some of the palettes are incorrect, all of the sprites are where they belong, and most of the coords work, but some of it is just flat out not working.

Everything else can be re-arranged. What am I missing here?

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Standard map Pointers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:37:44 am »
Games love to do non standard stuff. You really shouldn't be messing with things for no good reason, some setups are very sensitive.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:14 am »
Having OCD about something as unimportant as this seems rather silly, especially if you're doing it all manually.

If something isn't working, you probably didn't do it correctly. Double check your math, double check that you're tweaking the correct pointers, double check everything.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 04:29:34 am »
Trying to make it more convenient has added to the learning experience, and yes, OCD is one of my stronger character traits.

The breakdown of all possible raw offsets, is so the most novice of hackers will have advanced access to FF1. All this extra stuff is is a self created stress, but is a really good way to learn how the game ticks. The map rearrangement seems to involve code in too many places to change, so it will have to be left alone, for now anyway.