News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Cyber Knight [PCE]  (Read 31468 times)

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
Re: Cyber Knight [PCE]
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »
Definitely. The more feedback the better. I guess some of it is going to be subjective, but at least with having individual patch files it's always possible for someone to change it to reflect their own choices.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 08:21:41 pm »
I'll try to limit myself to obvious mistranslations and inconsistencies compared to the SNES version, but here's a quick diff for now (some are actually translated differently in AGTP's version; what I put down were literal romanizations):
Code: [Select]
diff --git a/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv b/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv
index 02efddc..d9aec8c 100644
--- a/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv
+++ b/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv
@@ -1,21 +1,21 @@
-0x1d5b3,レイガン,Laser
-0x1d5ba,レ‐ザライフル,LaserRfle
-0x1d5c4,レイブレ‐ド,LaserSwrd
+0x1d5b3,レイガン,Raygun
+0x1d5ba,レ‐ザライフル,LaserRifle
+0x1d5c4,レイブレ‐ド,LaserBlade
 0x1d5ce,パルスレ‐ザ‐,PulseLaser
 0x1d5d9,ハイパ‐レ‐ザ‐,HyperLaser
 0x1d5e5,プラズマガン,PlasmaGun
 0x1d5f0,プラズマライフル,PlasmaRfle
-0x1d5fc,プラズマキャノン,PlasmaCann
-0x1d608,ヒ‐トガン,HeatRay
-0x1d610,ファイアブラスタ‐,HeatBlast
-0x1d61c,ノヴァフレイム,NovaBlast
+0x1d5fc,プラズマキャノン,PlasmaCannon
+0x1d608,ヒ‐トガン,HeatGun
+0x1d610,ファイアブラスタ‐,Fire Blaster
+0x1d61c,ノヴァフレイム,Nova Flame
 0x1d626,ハンドバルカン,Vulcan-H
 0x1d631,ハンドミサイル,Missile-H
-0x1d63b,ナックルバスタ‐,Buster-H
-0x1d646,ソニックブラスタ‐,SonicBlast
-0x1d652,グレネ‐ドランチャ‐,Grenade
-0x1d660,ナパ‐ムランチャ‐,Napalm
-0x1d66c,ロケットランチャ‐,Rocket
+0x1d63b,ナックルバスタ‐,Knuckle Buster
+0x1d646,ソニックブラスタ‐,Sonic Blaster
+0x1d652,グレネ‐ドランチャ‐,Grenade Launcher
+0x1d660,ナパ‐ムランチャ‐,Napalm Launcher
+0x1d66c,ロケットランチャ‐,Rocket Launcher
 0x1d677,Sミサイルポッド,M-Pod (S)
 0x1d683,Mミサイルポッド,M-Pod (M)
 0x1d68f,Lミサイルポッド,M-Pod (L)
@@ -23,23 +23,23 @@
 0x1d6a9,ディスインテグレ‐タ,Disintegrator
 0x1d6b7,アンチプロトンビ‐ム,Proton Beam
 0x1d6c5,ガンマレ‐ザ‐,GammaLaser
-0x1d6d0,ネガボ‐ル,Negoboru
+0x1d6d0,ネガボ‐ル,Negaball
 0x1d6d9,マシンガン,Autogun
-0x1d6e1,インパクトキャノン,Impact Cann
-0x1d6ed,マッシャ‐クロ‐,ClawSmash
-0x1d6ed,マッシャ‐クロ‐,ClawSmash
-0x1d6f7,アシッドシュ‐タ‐,AcidBlast
+0x1d6e1,インパクトキャノン,Impact Cannon
+0x1d6ed,マッシャ‐クロ‐,Masher Claw
+0x1d6ed,マッシャ‐クロ‐,Masher Claw
+0x1d6f7,アシッドシュ‐タ‐,Acid Shooter
 0x1d735,肩 ,Sld
 0x1d73d,腕 ,Arm
 0x1d745,脚 ,Leg
 0x1d74d,よびフィ‐ルドなし!,No Field!!
-0x1d75c,ウェ‐ブジャマ‐,EM Field
+0x1d75c,ウェ‐ブジャマ‐,Wave Jammer
 0x1d768,MHDフィ‐ルド,MHD Field
-0x1d773,ライトディフレクタ‐,LaserField
-0x1d780,ミラ‐ディフレクタ‐,ReflectField
-0x1d78d,エナジ‐バリア‐,EnergyField
-0x1d799,イナ‐シアフィ‐ルド,MegaField
-0x1d7a6,ブラックグロ‐ブ,Black Glove
+0x1d773,ライトディフレクタ‐,Light Deflector
+0x1d780,ミラ‐ディフレクタ‐,Mirror Reflector
+0x1d78d,エナジ‐バリア‐,Energy Barrier
+0x1d799,イナ‐シアフィ‐ルド,Inertia Field
+0x1d7a6,ブラックグロ‐ブ,Black Globe
 0x1d7cd,<11><01><0B><pause><12> ざい こ <0B><13><05> ポケ ッ ト <11>,Armory<0b><13><05>Equipment
 0x1d7ea,<11><01><0B><pause><12> ざい こ <0B><11>\n モ ジュ ‐ ル <11>,Armory<0b><11><03>Location
 0x1d809,<11><01><0B><pause><12> ざい こ <0B><12><05> モ ジュ ‐ ル <11>,Armory<0b><12><05>Location

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2014, 01:21:13 am »

I'll try to limit myself to obvious mistranslations and inconsistencies compared to the SNES version, but here's a quick diff for now (some are actually translated differently in AGTP's version; what I put down were literal romanizations):
There are a few of these that are still wrong. I don't know what sort of space limits might be in the PCE version, but I'll note what I disagree with.
diff --git a/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv b/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv
index 02efddc..d9aec8c 100644
--- a/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv
+++ b/documents/Weapon Names & Descriptions.csv
@@ -1,21 +1,21 @@
 0x1d626,ハンドバルカン,Vulcan-H -> Hand Vulcan
 0x1d631,ハンドミサイル,Missile-H -> Hand Missile
 0x1d677,Sミサイルポッド,M-Pod (S) -> Small Missile Pod
 0x1d683,Mミサイルポッド,M-Pod (M) -> Medium Missile Pod
 0x1d68f,Lミサイルポッド,M-Pod (L) -> Large Missile Pod
 0x1d6b7,アンチプロトンビ‐ム,Proton Beam -> Antiproton Beam
+0x1d780,ミラ‐ディフレクタ‐,Mirror Reflector -> Mirror Deflector
+0x1d7a6,ブラックグロ‐ブ,Black Globe -> Or possibly Black Glove. You'd want to see the visual effect for this.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:42:56 am by Gideon Zhi »

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 04:51:33 am »
All of the deflector/reflector items I named as 'Field' as that is what they seem to be generically referred to in battle screen and module equipment screens. Some of the weapon names are indeed contractions to fit in the available display area (eg all the missile weapons), some, however, seem to be genuinely wrong; I'll change those.

For the weapon names and descriptions, I have 1735 bytes to use, and am currently using 1555. The patch on github just does a fixed size insertion at the moment (if you open the patch file up and look at the header block, it currently says "insert_method" : 1 ... if you change that to 2 it will do a variable length insertion, instead of padding strings that are shorter than their original version it will insert them shorter (ie 'Laser + 0x00', rather than the 7 byte original string, freeing up 1 byte for another string), freeing up space for some of the longer translations. It won't use more than the original available space though 0x1d5b3-0x1dc7a). So there is just under 200 bytes to play with for this entire sequence, bear in mind that although there is some storage space to play with, a lot of the time the on-screen size limit is the main issue - for example in the battle screen the weapon name is shown when attacking the enemy.

Oh, and please don't think I'm arguing about what things are right/wrong - I don't speak a word of Japanese, and I really appreciate the feedback.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:20:37 am by megatron-uk »

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 05:58:48 am »
There are a few of these that are still wrong. I don't know what sort of space limits might be in the PCE version, but I'll note what I disagree with.

Yeah, I didn't touch some of those because they were obviously shortened to fit (e.g. the Hand weapons) and I admit there might be some omissions. Thanks for catching those. However, Black Globe is how your translation of CK1 called the item and from what I remember from the game, that makes more sense than Black Glove. If memory serves, it's made from a story item acquired on one of the planets and that certainly did not resemble a glove.

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2014, 09:56:07 am »
I've uploaded movies of the (almost) 100% translated ship menu navigation options and gameplay from the first world (FarWorld), inlcuding dialogue with the Professor and all the townfolk.

Ship menu navigation and most ship screens demoed:
http://youtu.be/xbZdix18ho8

Overworld navigation (missing planet name), including dialogue from most of the townsfolk:
http://youtu.be/DC6F_XCAc10

One thing I cannot find are the 'Type' / 'Damage' / 'Size' labels that appear in the weapon/item database when browsing all the weapons. They should be stored as the hex sequences:
5c c0 b2 cc df 3a

ca df dc b0

bb b2 bd de
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:00:08 am by megatron-uk »

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:33 am »
One thing I cannot find are the 'Type' / 'Damage' / 'Size' labels that appear in the weapon/item database when browsing all the weapons. They should be stored as the hex sequences:
5c c0 b2 cc df 3a

ca df dc b0

bb b2 bd de

The tilemap entries for those might be hardcoded. You might want to look at the tilemap in VRAM and do a trace to see how it gets there. I know too little about PCE to give you precise instructions, though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:39:01 pm by mziab »

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 02:01:17 pm »
It's gotta be something like that. A file-wide hex search doesn't find anything that exactly matches (only as substrings of longer text). It's a little weird though, as I've not found anything else done that way (yet!).

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2014, 02:08:35 pm »
It's gotta be something like that. A file-wide hex search doesn't find anything that exactly matches (only as substrings of longer text). It's a little weird though, as I've not found anything else done that way (yet!).

Well, that's the thing with menu routines that are used in just one place. It should be pretty trivial to change, though.

EDIT: Added a few more notes Github for the things that caught my eye.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:53:03 am by mziab »

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2014, 05:43:20 am »
Thanks to mziab I've been able to accelerate a lot of the translation by utilising a dump of the english text from the SNES version via a new tool (https://github.com/megatron-uk/cyberknight-pce/blob/master/mapScript.py) which matches the SNES text to the PCE version.

So the translation i going very well. However I've stumbled on a problem with some of the expansion of the main game dialogue - the scrolling intro text follows on immediately after now seems to be broken (jibberish text, not the text of that should be shown) when I view the intro cinematics again. It looks like it may have been pushed too far 'back' in the ROM. I'll need to investigate this again, perhaps adjusting the routine that loads this block of text.

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2014, 12:26:34 am »
You probably deleted a control code somewhere. They're almost always present in scrolling intros. See the original game, there should be 3 or 4 bytes before each paragraph begins.

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2014, 04:47:13 am »
I've compared the start of the two sections in both the unaltered Japanese rom and my injected English version - before the start of the scrolling text in both versions is:

08 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

The 0x08 0x11 bytes are the last two bytes of the table of dialogue strings, then the text for the scrolling part of the intro begins - I've checked and the spacing and number of null bytes is the same; there are no further control  bytes in either version (J or E).

I think I've just pushed it too far back, if I take the first character of the scrolling text to be the beginning, it's now at 0x1b9b1, compared to 0x1b8d6 in the original. There's a big section of 0xff bytes from 0xbca7 - 0x1bfff directly after the scrolling text which I've expanded the translated dialogue and scrolling text into in order to get the space needed for the expansion of the Japanese into English. It was ok when I just had the scrolling text expanded into that section (and the main game text was still japanese), but I think the expansion of the english main dialogue has pushed it too far. I might need a more experienced 6502 hacker to fix this issue once I'm done with the rest of the main game text.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:45 am »
It might be using a fixed bank, thus reading the wrong data despite the pointers being correct. The best way to tell would be to make a trace and grep it for the address you were expecting it to read.

On an unrelated note, it seems you've missed my Github comment about "Mepushiddo". It should be "Mepsede", as it's called in the SNES script.

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 11:31:36 am »
Got it. Yep, I missed that comment.

I think you're probably right, re: the fixed bank location. For the moment I'm not going to try and fix it - there are more things to be done to the main game first.

April 16, 2014, 08:45:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I think I've got all of the in-battle text done - including the status effect text, enemy names, level increase messages,  etc. I haven't been able to test all the messages, as some are related to certain game conditions (enemies fleeing etc), but most are now decently enough formatted to allow the battle screens to be played fully.

I'm left with three phrases left from about 90 initial text strings that I cannot either find a decent translation for, or a match in the SNES script. They are:

は ぼうぎょフィールドを はった
I think this is to do with either defense ability, or defense field

5じをまわったので かれらは かえった。
No idea on this one.

『よ―し! かえって ねるぞ!!』
Seems to be a quip from either a teammate or an enemy?

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:47:26 am by megatron-uk »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:21 am »
First one is "___ set up a protective field."

I need context on for the second and third, but to my understanding, they're something like "They went back around 5 o'clock." and "Awright! They went home for some shuteye!"

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 03:36:50 am »
First one is "___ set up a protective field."

I need context on for the second and third, but to my understanding, they're something like "They went back around 5 o'clock." and "Awright! They went home for some shuteye!"

Ok, that makes some sense. I believe those two latter sentences are messages that are sometimes added into the flow of combat by your 'helpful' computer AI - it sometimes says things like "They are strong in melee - engage from a distance!" or "This looks like the area boss".... but it also comes up with bizarre phrases like "Chef says dinner is ready!".

I'm guessing that those two phrases are something along the lines of "You sent them packing!".

April 17, 2014, 05:07:10 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok. I'm suggesting the following for the two latter strings:

"Chased them right back to 5 o'clock!"

"Yes!! You sent them packing!"

Does that seem a reasonable English translation? I have to admit the 'sent them back to 5 o clock' doesn't sound like any phrase I've heard before. Perhaps there's a better one?

April 18, 2014, 03:30:54 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's a clip of the game in its current state - this mainly shows several battles on the way to the crashed ship Europa, your first quest of the game.

http://youtu.be/DVnsNSLQ_Hs

The battle screen and messages are virtually fully done, as can be seen.

April 22, 2014, 12:39:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I think I've found a slight difference in story between the SNES and PCE versions.

I've now played and translated everything up to and including the defeat of the dome on the southern continent and am now back talking with the president (and receiving his deepest thanks for dealing with the robot threat).

In the SNES version the dialogue goes something like this:

"Our deepest thanks, the planet is now free"
"You want to go back to earth, yes?"
"I'm afraid we cannot help with our technology"
"The Traders mentioned a race called the Seeclan with advanced technology, maybe they can help"
"Ask details from the Traders. You can find them on Worldring-3"

At which I presume you then use the rebuilt jumpdrive and move to the Worldring system.

In the PCE version the President says basically the same thing but his last sentence is different:

"Our deepest thanks, the planet is now free"
"You want to go back to earth, yes?"
"I'm afraid we cannot help with our technology"
"The Traders mentioned a race called the Seeclan with advanced technology, maybe they can help"
"『‥‥‥ただ‥‥‥さいきん れんらくが とだえているそうですが‥‥‥』"

I think the last line is something along the lines of 'we had regular contact with them, but it was suddenly cut-off recently'. - that's the last thing he says - no mention of the Worldring system. Hmm, now how do I know I'm supposed to get to the Worldring system?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:39:33 pm by megatron-uk »