News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Final Fantasy VII (PSX) German Retranslation Patch Released  (Read 22937 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: cebix

Final Fantasy VII — the title which defined Cloud Gaming in 1997, telling the story of a young man with spiky hair, serious identity problems, and an enourmous... sword.

As the official German edition of Final Fantasy VII is such a rushed mess of typos, contextual errors, and unintelligible dialog, Cebix and friends have produced a retranslation of the game from the original Japanese, based on the text of Final Fantasy VII International.

Not afraid to deviate from the “established canon” of Western Final Fantasy releases, Cebix and friends have tried to create a localization which stays true to the original work but is comprehensible to a German audience (no “neechan
fansub bullshit), and fun to play.

Nearly the entire text of the game has been revised:
  • All dialogs have been retranslated from Japanese.
  • Where reasonable, names of items, monsters, spells, etc. have been adapted to the German terms used in later Final Fantasy games, in particular VIII and IX. So the Trank is now again a Potion, and spells use the beloved -ra/-ga suffixes.
  • Some names unique to the game have been changed to bring them closer to their original form or their originally intended meaning, like Materia instead of Substanz and Midgarsorm instead of (the mistranscribed) Midgar Zolom.

In addition to overhauling the text we have restored the password and temple clock puzzles in the process, made some accidentally inaccessible dialog available again, and fixed a few known issues in the game's programming.

The retranslation is distributed as a patch in bsdiff format for the original German PAL PlayStation release of Final Fantasy VII, and is available for download from the project's web page.

Have fun!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.cebix.net/ff7/)

Bregalad

• View Profile
I think it makes a good excuse to play this again, and learning some german at the same time.

However I'm afraid that, as usual, the german will be a bit too advanced/complex for me. Words like Arbeeterdenkmal are frightening for us non-german natives.

Also isn't it supposed to be arbeiter- ? Or is Cid supposed to speak with a weird accent / dialekt ?

aqualung

• View Profile
I wonder what the heck happened with this game. The Spanish translation was also plain garbage (the official one, I mean), it looked as though the grabbed the original English texts and passed them through an automatic translator. It was so bad that it put me off and I never finished the game.

And now I learn that the same thing happened to the German translation. When it comes to localization, this game must have been affected by some kind of voodoo curse or something, haha.

KC

• View Profile
However I'm afraid that, as usual, the german will be a bit too advanced/complex for me. Words like Arbeeterdenkmal are frightening for us non-german natives.

Also isn't it supposed to be arbeiter- ? Or is Cid supposed to speak with a weird accent / dialekt ?
It's stated on their site that they tried to capture the variety of accents that the Japanese version had by using fitting German accents for the characters.

VicVergil

• View Profile
The french one too was horrendous.
It was Square translating it in the first place from Japanese to english in a shoddy way, then Sony Entertainment Europe hiring people that could be hardly called translators to do the European localizations. Every single one of them is a mess of typos, idioms translated word by word, untranslated text possing out sometimes and outright gribberish at times.
Then for FF VIII Square established their own European branch in 1998 to localize to these languages and it got a lot better (usually Nintendo was taking care of their European releases in a somewhat decent way, but then, Sony messed up big time on that)

Ikkusu

• View Profile
Just tried playing this on my Slim PS2, but the game keeps crashing as soon as I enter first battle or open up the status screen. The original disc however still works fine, so I'm assuming there's no problem with my console.

For extracting the bin/cue files I used german PAL platinum version (SCES-00869) and ImgBurn. I checked the md5-sum of my extracted cd image and it was 100 % accurate according to the manual.

Then I used bsdiff4.3-win32 to patch the bin file and checked the md5 sum of the patched file afterwards. Again, it was 100 % correct, so still no error here.

For burning the new bin file to CD I used ImgBurn with 8x speed. The game boots up just fine and I see the customized title screen, but after watching the intro movie, the screen just freezes when the first battle starts.

Could it be that this hack is not compatible with ps2? I have no chance to test the game on a modded ps1 unfortunately, but I'm     curious to know if anyone has managed to play it on a ps2. =/

Fixed with new patch release
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:22:40 pm by Ikkusu »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Sounds like the usual memory alignment issue if you ask me (especially because of the status menu). My tools produced the same exact ill effects whenever I tested the rebuilt ISO on a PSX/PS2/PSP, then I started padding stuff correctly and the game began running again like a charm.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Ikkusu

• View Profile
what a bummer. so i guess there's no way to play this hack on console unless they rework the entire patch? :-\

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Depends entirely on the tools they've used for injecting all the text. In my case the fix was simple: I updated the insertion code and added padding everywhere it's requested to make aligned reads work correctly. The adjustments required aren't trivial to implement.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Lucumo

• View Profile
It's stated on their site that they tried to capture the variety of accents that the Japanese version had by using fitting German accents for the characters.
Ugh, who the hell even speaks like that?

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Seems like Berlin-dialect to me.
Square-Enix also put Bavarian and Platt German into their official translations lately, so I see where this idea came from ;)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Germany should be the only country in the world where they speak a dialekt in the capital  :banghead:

TheFireRed

• Restricted Access
  • Fall of Fall
    • View Profile
Germany should be the only country in the world where they speak a dialekt in the capital  :banghead:
It isn't. In the past, due to rural flight in Spain, people from the countryside mixed their local dialects and created a new variant wherever they went. Some grammar issues (let's say laísmo) are more frequent in Madrid. In contrast, the 'purest' Spanish is reportedly spoken in Valladolid.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
It was Square translating it in the first place from Japanese to english in a shoddy way

Actually, the original English translation was all SCEA. Square had nothing to do with it.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
I think it makes a good excuse to play this again, and learning some german at the same time.

I'm wondering if playing a "localisation" is a way to learn a language, since it's not a translation, it has other, artistic, choices for word use.

PS: 5/5 for "Cloud Gaming".

ChronoMoogle

• View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Just realised that the one of the protagonists is actually speaking the dialect.... Wow, imo that's pretty inacceptable... It would be something else if the NPCs in a specific town would use a dialect for flavor, but this... Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:45:27 pm by ChronoMoogle »

cebix

• View Profile
    • Cebix' Home Page
Just tried playing this on my Slim PS2, but the game keeps crashing as soon as I enter first battle or open up the status screen.

I uploaded a new version of the patch (v1a) which fixes this issue to the project web page. If you're playing this on an emulator you don't need to re-download the patch as no content has been changed.

This translation may not be the best way of learning German as it uses accents, colloquialisms, and regional idioms quite freely (or it may actually be a good way of learning German because of that?).

Cid is the only major character who speaks a "regular" dialect (Berlin region) which has been toned down to bring it closer to standard German in spelling and grammar (for example, it's Arbeeter- instead of Abeeta-, and the typical accusative/dative transposition is only present in idioms). Cid also speaks with a noticeable accent in Japanese (which has been axed in the official translation in favor of an uncalled-for amount of swearwords and non-alphanumeric ASCII characters...), especially when he's agitated, and his character traits (highly self-confident, short-tempered, cranky at times) made a Berlin accent seem like a good match (no offense to Berliners intended ;)). Plus, it has the same ei/aiee vowel shift as the original.

Strong German dialects tend to be hard to read and distracting, even for Germans, so they've only been used for NPCs in a handful of places. The main protagonist, Cloud, speaks standard (colloquial) German.

ChronoMoogle

• View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
I didn't know that Cid also speaks in a accent in the japanese version... That changes the way I look at this writing decision as a whole, actually it's nice idea!

Ikkusu

• View Profile
I uploaded a new version of the patch (v1a) which fixes this issue to the project web page. If you're playing this on an emulator you don't need to re-download the patch as no content has been changed.
runs like a charm now, thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Bregalad

• View Profile
Well, I think my level of German is still way too low. I can't understand most of what's being said, both in the original and re-translated versions. :(