News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Extract audio GBA bios  (Read 4438 times)

in3D

• View Profile
Extract audio GBA bios
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
Hello, I'm trying to extract the audio from the gba bios. I tried gbaMusRiper but it says it's not sappy. Is there any other way?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Extract audio GBA bios
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:02:04 pm »
I assume you mean the little jingle that goes with the logo.

I doubt they would have put in the fully sappy engine for the BIOS. I guess you could try some ROM hacking method but realistically it is far easier to run the BIOS in an emulator, or more likely go on youtube or something and grab a BIOS video and rip it from that.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »
I vaguely recall that some parts of a sound engine was in the bios and exposed by bios calls.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:10:07 pm »
Oh if you meant what henke37 was on about then I highly suggest http://belogic.com/gba/ and http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#biossoundfunctions

in3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:29:31 pm »
No, I mean the jingle. I don't want to use youtube or an emulator because I want the samples, not just the jingle as a whole.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:58 pm »
I am sorry to disappoint you, but there is a high chance that the melody is played using the non pcm channels, meaning that there are no samples to get.

in3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 11:00:04 pm »
Is there a way to get it in higher quality than from an actual GBA?

April 13, 2014, 11:28:15 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update: I tried switching some audio channels off in VBA-M and found that the bios only uses direct sound A and B. I think those are the ones that use samples, so that's good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:28:15 pm by in3D »

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:49 am »
Is there a way to get it in higher quality than from an actual GBA?

Talk to some chiptune guys, they could rip it from a prosound-modded GBA

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:55 am »
First of all, none of the GBA bios audio is chiptune, *is it all made with the direct sound channels*

Second, as far I know, there is no raw audio sample in the BIOS in the sappy format. If the samples are there (and they certainly are, unless they are computed "mathematically" which sounds unlikely), they are compressed.

And I know there is a mixing engine in the BIOS, which is used for the jingles and that can be used for games as well (how many games actually uses this ?) but I don't know if there is a (compressed/encrypted) sappy engine in the BIOS.

in3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:00 pm »
Oh. It makes sense now. Before, i wondered how it could so hard to extract audio from a file. I just thought you could search it for PCM and extract those parts. I had totally forgot about foreign compression formats...