News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - 2018 [Continued]  (Read 48333 times)

PhyChris

• View Profile
Re: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) [Demo 1 Release]
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2015, 04:46:51 pm »
I think you mean 'manual jump' not 'auto jump'

Airikita

• Running through my mind is hell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2017, 01:08:13 pm »
Hey all, just returning from hell.
Just managed to get a new laptop, and I'm back to modding.
While I revise this dead topic, it's not dead completely... but I see I will have to repair broken images.
Dealing with enough issues, but I will be updating the ZEY project again.

Current updates:
----------------
1. Fixed various issues regarding the Armos Knight bosses, fixing collision and other minor issues...
2. Currently working on the display for health percentile text...
3. Just re-calibrating from a massive migraine and dealing with heavy S.A.D symptoms...

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2017, 03:04:39 pm »
Welcome back & glad to see this project back up. :)

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2017, 10:27:35 pm »
Update: Completed Health Text for Percentile:
----------------------------------------------------------

By request, and completed.
May need HW testing, but no real issues are apparent.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:33:30 pm by Airikita »

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2017, 10:29:08 pm »
Nicely done!

Airikita

• View Profile
Re: Zelda\'s Eternal Youth (ZEY) - 2017 Updates! (Project is Alive)
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2017, 08:05:45 pm »
Just updated the front page with a new title screen logo design, and uploaded a new video editing warp songs for the concept in ZEY:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Update - 2017:

Three New Warp Songs Added!

Currently brainstorming bosses, and the only one I'm seeing a problem with is Moldorm... other than I could probably just make it like Lanmolas, which can be reproduced (not saying simple), Moldorm is an anomoly of ALTTP, and I don't need to reproduce a ton of bosses as more original bosses will come.

I think that boss can look really silly, and seems like a lazy boss Nintendo made for that lovely Tower of Hera, but yeah... reproducing such a boss isn't easy, but I can still reproduce it in a way. It'll just be a bit of a dive as I don't know how it will work entirely.

The real nuissance of the boss is I can base it off of something I have in mind, but to get it to run around not chasing Link is the only real annoying part as OOT enemies pretty much all chase Link, and it's a bit irritating.. lol. Can't think!

December 26, 2017, 06:25:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey everyone, just gonna update this mod's info with pics:

The shovel does work, currently just part of the progress. If you've seen my first video, you've probably guessed there'll be an ALTTP world, especially with my custom Armos Knights boss.

Digging game planned? Sort of.. not really as much of a digging game as more you will literally be able to buy the shovel as a required item over the dash boots (because it's not the same ALTTP world, different timeline as ZEY is a new story)...

So now it's The Chronicles of Zelda: Zelda's Eternal Youth

I'm currently working on importing a model, which is giving me a major headache, and I had a literal panick attack over a confusion using a conversion tool, so I have to re-do a lot of the positions for the parts involved with the model... so yes, a modding I shall be!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:25:28 am by Airikita »

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Re: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - 2017 Updates! (Project is Alive)
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2017, 02:28:03 pm »
Im liking what I am seeing so far,this Zelda mod is looking very amazing,can't wait to see more progress in the near future! :)

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2017, 05:59:22 pm »
Im liking what I am seeing so far,this Zelda mod is looking very amazing,can't wait to see more progress in the near future! :)

Thank you! Zelda OOT modding is a lot of work with the Zelda 64 mod community, but we're definitely making progress... as always the community has its bumps, and we're still trying to establish a following.

Currently we're getting more 3D modelers thanks to some tools that help, and maybe we'll see more N64 modding.

I appreciate our community, especially for holding out for 10 years, because often the community was small with very dedicated hackers to help the process.

I always wanted to mod OOT, idk why but it intrigued me to discover more in the game, so I'm hoping my situation won't affect the process, but I have met a very encouraging friend who also enjoys seeing my work. Honestly I just see this as fan game making, but on a very different scale... you know? It's like it's not easier than coding in a game engine language, but the difficulty can be rewarding learning how the game actually works.

I enjoy this as a hobby, and I think what inspired me to do a bit more was the Pokemon modding community, because they have some really interesting mods in the works! I mean, wow modding has come very far, and a community willing to contribute their works makes for many interesting mods when there's some programmers that love to help by contributing tools. As much as there's a stigma in modding, modding has definitely taken a new level this era, lol.

(Sorry this post might be a bit rambling, been very tired this month. Keeping up right now is being a bit of a pain)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:08:08 pm by Airikita »

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2017, 11:22:40 am »
No problem :)

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2017, 07:50:25 am »
Currently working on improvements... thinking perhaps upgrading some appearances might actually be safe considering ZEY is going to need a bit more of a new look perhaps:

I am likely not going to keep the grass clump the way it looks now, as I can see re-texturing might need a bit of a boost, meaning I'll have to upgrade the Texture it uses.

Easily thinking a greyscale image will work, as it will be better quality while taking up less space.
The old OOT grass clump looked like junk either way, and it also needs a bit of fixing from a modification I added when I started my project before I got better at ASM.

xstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2017, 08:34:27 pm »
I like the three tunic colors on the right of the equipment screen.
Especially the 3rd sword icon.

Everything about this hack looks impressive :)
And I'm looking forward to seeing more stuff added in too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:00:49 am by xstuff »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2018, 10:08:45 pm »
The only thing I don't dig is the huge-mungous heart.
It's distracting. WHen it comes to HUDs, less is more.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2018, 11:48:09 pm »
I don't find the heart distreacting, per se, but I'm a bit curious about the choice to use it. The two rows of hearts is such a staple of Zelda games. Watching your max endurance grow over time is a source of satisfaction, and even gives the player a bit of a visual cue as to how far they've come and how far there is still to go.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »
The only thing I don't dig is the huge-mungous heart.
It's distracting. WHen it comes to HUDs, less is more.
If it is distracting, it could possibly be moved or sized smaller... honestly after playing it for a while, it doesn't go far... it's just a way to make the game feel new, and yes I'm aware the rows of hearts is a known thing, but I wanted to go a different direction.

It's a different challenge, so you won't see hearts tally up, instead you'll be able to "upgrade" your health by doubling it through 2-4 upgrades, but those are Easter eggs.

I could potentially allow the heart to show a way to display boosted health, and I do have an idea how... but yes, I wanted to make it different for the reason that you aren't supposed to gain health updates until you find the bonuses.

In fact, you're forced to buy items often, and special items (that I have in mind for later) will be bought with "tokens", so this is an entirely new hack, it's going beyond what you'd expect in a Zelda game.

It's intentional, and the plot will be wrapped around it.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2018, 08:47:07 pm »
I think one reason the heart is so distracting is that it stands out against the other elements of the HUD. Compared to everything else, the heart is really blurry and unfocused. I'm not sure exactly how the heart itself is programmed so this may be unavoidable, but perhaps you could experiment a bit with other things that maybe aren't so large or contrasting. For example, maybe a pie-shaped health meter a la Super Mario 64?
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2018, 03:20:20 pm »
I think one reason the heart is so distracting is that it stands out against the other elements of the HUD. Compared to everything else, the heart is really blurry and unfocused. I'm not sure exactly how the heart itself is programmed so this may be unavoidable, but perhaps you could experiment a bit with other things that maybe aren't so large or contrasting. For example, maybe a pie-shaped health meter a la Super Mario 64?
I doubt the pie-shaped heart would look less blurry, also that it would take up more texture space...
However, making the heart smaller would make it slightly less blurry, or give it a bigger heart texture, but that might also mean more space used...

It is possible to shrink the heart, because that has been programmed in.
Part of the reason why it's blurry is because it's a bit big... It might be possible to make it a different type so I can make the size of the heart bigger too (like if it's ia16, texture can be ia8 to take up half the size while doubling width/height of the image)..

Ofc if it's already ia8, there is a smaller scale for ia4, but it's such a beta type it's ugly.
Wouldn't save the blurriness even if I did.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2018, 03:57:33 pm »
i think the heart would be fine if it were roughly the same size as the B and A icons. which do look a lot sharper

this looks like a cool hack too, btw.

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2018, 05:23:30 pm »
Oh well, seems that the heart was a bit easier to fix than expected:

Maybe that's a bit easier on the eyes..

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2018, 07:05:05 pm »
I still find it all too cluttered.
Compare it to the Breath of the Wild HUD. (I might be a little spoiled by it, even.)
I'd prefer smaller cleaner graphics even if they were less detailed due to the resolution.
This isn't just a criticism of your HUD either, I think I feel the same way about the HUDs in all the previous 3D Zelda games at this point.
Even the HD remake of Twilight Princess has a simplified HUD.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:15:52 pm by Vanya »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2018, 07:46:30 pm »
Oh well, seems that the heart was a bit easier to fix than expected:

Maybe that's a bit easier on the eyes..
That certainly is a little easier, though the edges still look a little rough. Am I correct in assuming the heart shrinks in size proportional to your health while still leaving a full size "shadow" (for lack of a better term), a la Luigi's Mansion? Seems like at 100% it should completely fill said "shadow".
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR