News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Palette hacking? [NES]  (Read 4251 times)

Zambaku

Palette hacking? [NES]
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:49:58 pm »
I'm having some trouble figuring out palette hacking. I'm using the NES Palette Editor, and I wish to change the palette of the players character in RoboWarrior for the NES. I know the hex value of the color I want to change (21) But how do I figure out exactly what part to edit? The list is so long. There must be a way to know what offset I should go to?

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
Re: Palette hacking? [NES]
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:29:48 pm »
Hello.

Tutorial:

1. Open Robo Warrior (U) [!].nes in VirtuaNes
2. Option -> Palette Edit
3. Palette (Picture №1):

0F 16 26 30 0F 07 17 37 0F 07 09 19 0F 01 11 21
0F 0F 21 30 0F 16 25 30 0F 05 2A 30 0F 00 10 20

4. Open HexEditor & find 0F0F21300F1625300F052A300F001020
hex address - E0A0 (Picture №3)

21 - heroes color (Picture №2)

21->9A - hero became green! (Picture №4)
I not the wizard, I only study...

wilef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:32:48 pm »
I must be missing a step here.  I can see how you change the color using the palette editor visually, but where do you get the hex address that corresponds to the particular change? I tried searching for the hex address of the palette grouping in Bad News Baseball for instance, but no string found.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:50:06 pm »
I find this a little easier in FCEUX. Mostly because I don't need to open a separate hex editor.
Once you get the values for palette you want to change, mind you should take note of all 4 colors, you search for that sequence of values in the hex editor.
Something you should note is that sometimes palette values can be stored in unconventional ways on the ROM.
Most commonly the first color in sprite palettes, since it is usually shared by all of them, is not stored redundantly so really only look for the other three.
I have on occasion run into situations where the colors in a specific palette are stored at different addresses near by each other making finding them a pain.
While searching for a palette you may also want to take note of the other colors being used at the same time since they may also be stored in the same area thus making it a little easier to be sure you've found the right string of bytes.

wilef

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:23:26 am »
Thanks Vanya, that's what it looks like is happening.  No easy way to make the changes, just brute force  :banghead:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:00 am »
I used FCEUX, and I make a savestate prior to the point the palette is loaded. Then using the FCEUX hex editor, I find possible locations, alter them, and load the save state to check for success or not. Then I keep notes of addresses that are correct or incorrect. It's useful to be able to check real-time without saving the ROM.

thainferno305

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 02:04:48 am »
I'm having trouble with color palette also please help I'm usiusing tlp I keep clicking until I found correct colors and then I saved I tested my hack and no luck

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 01:18:08 pm »
Tlp does not save palette data to the rom.
Follow the above tutorial to hack palette data.

/dACE

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:28:29 pm »
Graphics editors like YY-CHR and Tile Layer Pro don't edit the in-game palettes for you. The only benefit of changing them within the editor is to make the graphics more visually friendly for modifying them. If you want to modify the actual in-game palettes, you have to use a hex editor and/or a special emulator that includes a hex editor to find the correct ROM offsets and modify them that way. The only other way would be if a game-specific utility is programmed to allow you to modify the palettes with it.

From your previous posts, you mentioned that you're working on a Super Mario Kart hack. The Super Mario Kart ROM map has a few palette-related offsets.
GlitchCog documented the palettes, if you search for their site, although it reportedly doesn't always work. Maybe the information could be documented elsewhere. I would like to believe that Stifu would include documentation with the main notes, but since I don't hack this game, I haven't bothered to look, so you can try checking it on your own.
From a quick Google search, apparently Epic Edit, the Super Mario Kart editor, features a color palette editor tool.

In any case, you can try to seek out any and all documentation that already exists first to study from, and maybe see if there are tutorials covering the specific details for what you hope to achieve. Again, since I don't hack Super Mario Kart or SNES games in general, I can't be more specific than that.

If you're not still referring to SNES like you were previously, and you're actually looking into modifying palettes in NES games like the original topic creator, then perhaps I can provide you with more specific details in assisting you. However, one tip is to be as specific as possible with your posts and requests for help. You don't want for the people you're asking for help to have to assume any details in trying to figure out your problem, or else it's less likely that anyone will want to bother. If it's not the same game as before, then which game(s) are you hacking?

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:08:36 pm by Quick Curly »

thainferno305

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 01:42:36 pm »
super mario allstars + world toad hack