News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Monopoly 2 for SNES Translation  (Read 4241 times)

chunkygravy

Monopoly 2 for SNES Translation
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:40:20 pm »
I've been looking for a translated version of the monopoly 2 (j) .smc for years now and haven't been able to come up on one.  If any one has any leads on this please let me know.
From what i can tell this game looks awesome!  A monopoly rpg or something like that.  I must play this.  I not a rom translation then at least a walkthrough to get me through the menus.

any information on this translation would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chunkygravy

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
Re: Monopoly 2 for SNES Translation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:33 pm »
You mean this one right? http://www.super-famicom.jp/data/sa/sa_0034.html looks pretty nice! :)

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 03:58:41 pm »
I've always wanted to translate this but unfortunately it's not high on my list. Frankly I think Monopoly is a slow enough game without having to read a bunch of dialogue, though...

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »
I've always wanted to translate this but unfortunately it's not high on my list. Frankly I think Monopoly is a slow enough game without having to read a bunch of dialogue, though...

It having RPG elements though should mean it isn't your typical slow-moving Monopoly board game right?  Too bad I'm not able to translate it or I'd do it myself.  Doesn't look like there is too much in terms of text to do. 

I definitely like odd games with RPG elements so this might be up my alley.  :D

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:52:59 pm »
I wouldn't really consider this an RPG. Just because it's a three-quarters view where you control a character through directional controls doesn't make it an RPG. In both the first Japanese Monopoly (not to be confused with the one released in the US) and Monopoly 2, the single-player mode consists of walking around a building, playing Monopoly against the occupants. And the opponents talk and talk.

I found that for Monopoly 2's large dialogue font, the text is stored as offsets into the font graphics. Not very easy to build a table for that using standard table-making tools.
The font's graphic encoding might not be a well-known one. It's a 1bpp encoding where every 3 bytes represents 2 rows of 12 pixels each.
Here's a preset for byuu's mosaic.
Code: [Select]
offset: 8 * 0x148000

depth: 1
palette: 0, ~0
order: 1

blockWidth: 12
blockHeight: 2

blockStride: 24

tileHeight: 6

I'm currently focusing on the first Monopoly (Japan). It may be almost all-kana, but at least it was easy to find the text. While checking further on how Monopoly 2's large text is stored, I found some more irritations. Outside the Monopoly games, in that "RPG" mode, there's no text pointer table for the NPCs you can talk to. The offsets were part of the code. The rest of the large text appears to have pointers at least. I think I could only really edit the menus/gameplay text in Monopoly 2.

A Very Late Edit:
During my web searches on these games, I found some other requests for information. I don't know if any of those were the TC under a different name, of course. But I personally don't get how people could have so much trouble accessing the actual gameplay of Monopoly 2. All it takes is walking up to the appropriate door, hitting either the A button or the direction of the door, then hitting A a few more times to confirm you want to enter that Cup (provided you have enough coins).

The menus also seem easy to figure out just by seeing what they do. The options listed depend on the circumstances, but it's pretty simple.
  • サイコロ: roll the dice
  • みる: allows you to scroll around the board and examine the different spaces. Also shows which game piece belongs to each player.
  • こうしょう: trade window
  • ていとう : mortage/unmortage window
  • いえ: manage houses/hotels
  • しゃくほう: Pay jail fine/use a GOJF card
When your turn is finished or when you're interrupting between the other players' turns, the dice roll option is replaced. By こうしょう in the first case and つぎのひと in the second case. Both let the next player start their turn.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:18:15 pm by Vehek »

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 03:50:33 am »
Vehek, I could help you with either game if you like.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:37 am »
I don't know how serious I am about them. I study a lot of games pretty much on a whim.