News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid Map and Saving Hack  (Read 9396 times)

hossbags2

• View Profile
Re: Metroid Map and Saving Hack
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 06:30:25 pm »
I would be interested in this all in one patch myself

darkanx

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 08:59:48 pm »
OK - then I just need a little help understanding the form for submitting hacks to this site.

Last time I uploaded a hack (Kid Icarus Retold) I obviously did it wrong and got some help from the staff.

Am I supposed to host all the files on another server and then just enter the URL's in the submit form?

Can somebody please give me some detailed instructions how to submit a hack?

/DacE

Yeah, check this page for recommended sites to store the files on, if you need. I recommend using dropbox, however. Insert the url to the file and fill in the rest, and you are good to go. The only other thing that can be tricky is screenshots. Just got to make sure you took them at the right resolution. But please upload this hack! I am eager to check it out!

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:59 am »
I'll make a serious effort in uploading the hack using FileTrip as host for the files - after I have had some lunch.

In case anyone was wondering over the title - mOTHER - it can be reffering to a number of things:

- a play on words with another (in)famous entry in the metroid series
- to the brain that is the mission to destroy
- to the fact that the game is the origin of the series

But I prefer another reference - the fact that this hack is a compilation of the work of OTHER's.

I will try my best of making it obvious, in my upload, that my part has been to make the individual hacks work together and that all credits for the actual content should go to the respective authors of the individual hacks.

Snarfblam, Infinity's End and DemickXII are the true creators - I'm just the guy who bundled their hard work together.

/dACE

April 21, 2014, 11:26:29 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ended up rejecting FileTrip - since that did not work properly the last time (when submitting the hack: Kid Icarus - Retold).

I used, as suggested by this site, dropBox. That worked fine for the actual zip-archive and the readMe BUT not at all for the screen-shots. I couldn't manage to get a clean URL that passed the verification for image-links...

>:(

So I tried Imgur for the images - that didn't work... at all. So then I tried Photobucket - which did work...for the png images. But since I wanted to upload a gif (to show of the fancy animation stuff) I had to look elsewhere.

:banghead:

Finally managed to upload the images to TinyPic and submitted the hack. Nedless to say - the submit routine could be improved....

It is now in the queue to be approved (or disapproved).

/dACE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:26:29 am by dACE »

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 08:53:05 am »
Could you also include patches metroid99, automap to patch. This way automap is at least showing on screen but also you start off with 99 health like in other Mertoid games where you only start off with 30 in this one....possibly walljump patch also

darkanx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 07:40:09 am »
Dace, fantastic job combining everything. It really does look like the definitive Metroid hack. :)  Hossbags' suggestions would be awesome additions, I second the request if you are up to it. Thanks for sharing mOTHER with us!

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:44 am »
Nice to hear you appreciate it!

I think the easiest way of adding automapper and wall-jumping to Metroid mOTHER is to wait until snarfblam releases a new version of his hack.

Then you would make a 'diff-patch' between his latest version and the one I used (version 0.3) and apply that patch on Metroid mOTHER. If you are lucky enough - it will not mess something else up and you are good to go.

If that works (without any/to much manual adjustments) I'll might consider to update Metroid mOTHER with those features.

As for minor adjustments like:
- Starting with 99 in energy
- Not warn until energy drops below 10 instead of 16

If anybody can investigate what hex-values to change (and what to change them into) OR supplying pathes that achieves this on a expanded Metroid rom - I might consider to make them a part of such a update too.

/dACE
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:40:02 am by dACE »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 12:03:29 am »
So this happened:
Spoiler:

I still have a little more work to do for the next "official" version, but here it is in its current state. Metroid + Saving + Wavy Ice + Corner Map + Pause Map + Wall Jump.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12027218/Metroid%20Saving%200.4.notdone.ips

Awesome!
I agree also with Vanya, is there a way you could move the minimap so the HUD (or life/missile counters) are left in the left corner and the minimap is taken to the right-upper corner?

Nice to hear you appreciate it!

I think the easiest way of adding automapper and wall-jumping to Metroid mOTHER is to wait until snarfblam releases a new version of his hack.

Then you would make a 'diff-patch' between his latest version and the one I used (version 0.3) and apply that patch on Metroid mOTHER. If you are lucky enough - it will not mess something else up and you are good to go.

If that works (without any/to much manual adjustments) I'll might consider to update Metroid mOTHER with those features.

As for minor adjustments like:
- Starting with 99 in energy
- Not warn until energy drops below 10 instead of 16

If anybody can investigate what hex-values to change (and what to change them into) OR supplying pathes that achieves this on a expanded Metroid rom - I might consider to make them a part of such a update too.

/dACE

Also, for that part, I think this hack might help with such thing:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/504/

Just add that hack to the one posted by snarfblam and that should be a great experience!
I'm in Tourian right now using those hacks :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:37:02 pm by ShadowOne333 »