News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ogre Battle: Prince Of Zenobia (Help?)  (Read 2249 times)

FFaddic

• View Profile
Ogre Battle: Prince Of Zenobia (Help?)
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:23:20 pm »
I'm working on a translation for this game, and I've made a lot of headway. However, I'm semi-stumped on translating the items.

I've done the class names, character names, and attack names with ease. They were all standard lists with no character signifying the end. Instead, they used relative pointers to determine the start and end position of each name. The items function similarly, with one exception. There seems to be some data before each item name that is not part of the name.

For example, the first item in the game, a cure potion, starts at 1683Ah. The pointer list starts at 166B8h and starts with 7E01. This would point to the first item being located at 16836h. Instead there are 2 hex digits (in this case 09 28) followed by 00 00, then the item name. It is like this for every item, with the first 2 digits being different every time. I can't figure out what they mean. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
Re: Ogre Battle: Prince Of Zenobia (Help?)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:58 pm »
let me play around with it.

FFaddic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:21:09 pm »
From my testing it seems to have something to do with the actual item's use (which is a weird place for it, but whatever). When I change the digits, it will give me different text when the item is used, or not let me use the item altogether. Lumping this in with the item name is a very strange place for this.

I'll have to test if moving the whole section to a different area of the rom affect this data or not. Not sure if it's some kind of pointer or not yet. A programmer that could analyze this would help greatly. Not sure what language NeoGeo Pocket ROMs are programmed in.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »
From my testing it seems to have something to do with the actual item's use (which is a weird place for it, but whatever). When I change the digits, it will give me different text when the item is used, or not let me use the item altogether. Lumping this in with the item name is a very strange place for this.

It's unusual, but it's not that strange. I've worked on a few games that do this.

Best way to check if relocating the items to another part of the ROM will break things is to just relocate the items to another part of the ROM and see what happens. I'm not familiar with the NGPC's architecture so I couldn't tell you anything about banking or limitations or anything like that. Why not just try it and see?