News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mario's Nightmare Quest  (Read 83710 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: Mario's Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2015, 06:21:59 am »
Ah, Mario Land 1+2.

Alright!

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2015, 06:11:51 pm »
Heh, I don't think so!
I will start with 1 and end with 4 so I exactly get to know which one is the best!

Don't forget the hidden gem that is Wario Land for Virtual Boy!!

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
Don't forget the hidden gem that is Wario Land for Virtual Boy!!

Also known as that game every sane person wishes would be finally added to the Virtual Console... yet which Nintendo seems to completely ignore for no real reason.

God, I actually want to try that game on day.  Legally if possible.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2015, 06:27:55 pm »
Sigh...seems like a no brainer to add the few Virtual Boy games to the 3DS virtual console...
So much wasted potential...

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »
Also known as that game every sane person wishes would be finally added to the Virtual Console... yet which Nintendo seems to completely ignore for no real reason.

God, I actually want to try that game on day.  Legally if possible.

Holding your breath on Nintendo's virtual console is a good way to die lol but I agree. You'd think the 3DS would have gotten Virtual Boy vc on LAUNCH but yeah, Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

If you ever decide to try the non-legal (im not gonna call emulation illegal. It may be the only thing I view as a gray area in life) approach, I cannot reccomend retroarch highly enough. With the right shaders, there's NOTHING it cannot accomplish. Since I've delved deeply into messing with it's settings, I have almost completely stopped playing new video games anymore. The old games look SO close to what I remember as a child, big and majestic on my HD screen, I could cry.

That, mixed with THIS:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040125

and I'm officially done with paying for something subpar nor willing to play the waiting/hoping game when it comes to MANY retro classics I'm sure will never be released. I mean, the Wii had 8 years and a monster userbase and they STILL only got a solid percentage of greats up (No yoshi's island or star fox is a SIN. I know, super fx copyright bs, blah blah, whatever. FIX IT. PAY WHATEVER RANSOM YOU NEED TO TO GET THOSE GAMES UP!). They have no incentives really to release them all nor do they seem concerned with that.

NOW, if they ever told me that all my wii u purchases would transfer to the next console, I'd be onboard, bad fps and colors be damned, but until then, Im in love with retroarch.

I mean, look at this crt fidelity

Soooooo beautiful...
and with that, I will allow this thread to right itself to the topic of your awesome hack!

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2015, 07:07:13 pm »
RetroArch is?

CM30

• View Profile
Re: Mario\'s Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2015, 07:19:08 pm »
Seems to be some sort of multi system emulator.  Personally, I'm sticking with seperate ones for each system (like ZSNES, SNES9X and BSNES for SNES games and SMW hacks).

Back on topic... no this isn't dead.  Just on a short break until I get some other stuff done, with an aim of releasing something by late June and more in the coming few years.

May 20, 2015, 06:07:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So... remember this.  My plan for this game is that part 1 will be ready by June 28th, hopefully in time for C3 this year.  This should include the first seven worlds, about 60 or so unique levels and some of the best production values on the SNES.

Epic?  You bet it'll be!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:07:51 pm by CM30 »

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2015, 06:01:29 pm »
That part thing is actually even better, just because it means not everything can be stuffed into one ROM; there is so much!

Just like Final Fantasy 7.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2015, 06:24:19 pm »
You forgot the best part; these parts aren't just their own games, they're intrinsically linked.

There's a world in part 2 unlocked by opening the path in part 2, going back to part 1 with the same save file, beating a secret level that's now accessible and then going back to part 2 when on the new submap.

This is possible because in a SNES emulator, you can use the SRAM and save state files from one game and then use them on a completely different one. God knows how anyone could adapt that to a console (I assume it'd work a bit like Banjo Kazooie's scrapped 'Stop n Swap' mechanic), but it's interesting.

On another note... part 1 is more cheerful, part 2 is partly post apocalyptic and part 3 is more dramatic and endgame like (because it is the final world).  This is because at the last level of part 1, Mario fails to stop a dimensional collapse level event and the world gets mostly obliterated (well okay, it's a dream world so it's all fake, but eh go with it).  The very first level you start on is the destroyed ruins of the previous first level, with a mostly depressing atmosphere and maybe this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e056R97svz8

The levels actually start falling apart more and more as you get through the second part of the game.  And then a ridiculously overdramatic boss battle occurs...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2015, 06:36:57 pm »
This is possible because in a SNES emulator, you can use the SRAM and save state files from one game and then use them on a completely different one. God knows how anyone could adapt that to a console...

Easy. SNES Powerpak gives you the option to choose which save file to load.

I do this with Zelda hacks all the time. Had a demo that wouldn't play correctly and I wanted to explore the game further so I loaded an original ALttP ROM where I switched the contents of some chests, got what I needed and then went back to playing the hack with the new save file with the items I wanted.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »
Easy. SNES Powerpak gives you the option to choose which save file to load.

I do this with Zelda hacks all the time. Had a demo that wouldn't play correctly and I wanted to explore the game further so I loaded an original ALttP ROM where I switched the contents of some chests, got what I needed and then went back to playing the hack with the new save file with the items I wanted.

So it is possible.  Nice to know.

Maybe it can be useful for anyone who actually wants to try this on real hardware.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2015, 07:22:53 pm »
I want to remind you it is Stop 'N Swop, not Stop 'N Swap.
You know Banjo Kazooie, the first game I ever played. That's good.
Wow, that part stuff is indeed possible! Maybe I could have used it in my Brutal Mario edit.

I recently just switched from Super Metroid Redesign (a complete map/gameplay/ASM overhaul of Super Metroid) to an improvement hack of the original (Project Base, very cool). The almost end-game SRM file worked just fine.

To be honest, I don't really like Majora's Mask final hours for a post-apocalyptic theme.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2015, 09:39:05 pm »
I want to remind you it is Stop 'N Swop, not Stop 'N Swap.
You know Banjo Kazooie, the first game I ever played. That's good.
Wow, that part stuff is indeed possible! Maybe I could have used it in my Brutal Mario edit.

I recently just switched from Super Metroid Redesign (a complete map/gameplay/ASM overhaul of Super Metroid) to an improvement hack of the original (Project Base, very cool). The almost end-game SRM file worked just fine.

To be honest, I don't really like Majora's Mask final hours for a post-apocalyptic theme.

As someone who also likes the Banjo Kazooie series (well, the first two), I agree they're great games. I've actually got the Witchyworld song included in this mod somewhere.

For the part stuff, yes it is cool.  I'm surprised no actual games or mods ever used it.  Seems like a really easy way to have multiple disc games on a SNES.

If you don't like the use of the Majora's Mask song, then don't worry about it, the only place it's used is in a destroyed level in part 2 of the game.  Maybe for some other minor uses, like a 'running of time' theme in Stone Tower Temple.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2015, 07:19:17 am »
Oh, not Nuts and Bolts!!!

Don't worry too much about the MM song. It is just one level. It is a good song, but I just have the feeling it doesn't fit with a post-apocalyptic theme.

Witchyworld was a fun one. I have never seen something as beautiful as Jolly Roger's Lagoon.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »
Oh, not Nuts and Bolts!!!

Don't worry too much about the MM song. It is just one level. It is a good song, but I just have the feeling it doesn't fit with a post-apocalyptic theme.

Witchyworld was a fun one. I have never seen something as beautiful as Jolly Roger's Lagoon.

I may actually make the theme park level loosely based on Witchyworld as well as using the music.  Got to have a few Rare references in there.

As for the post apocalyptic music not fitting, I think it does.  I just wanted something different.  Cause the nuclear meltdown level already uses the other 'post apocalyptic' theme I had; Hollijolli Village from Mario & Luigi Partners in Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4bz4kkNhM

So yeah.  On another note, I've now been working on my new website, https://gamingreinvented.com.

Why is this relevant?  Because one of the features I have planned in future will be fan project hosting, for automated websites for fan games, ROM hacks, fan films, etc.  One of those will be for this game, with forum discussions about it (most of which will be in the supporter only forums).

I also plan to open up a git repository or some sort of version control system for the games.

Should be cool, right?  If you like the idea, we'd love your support!

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2015, 05:50:31 am »
Just checking your site for a bit, and it has quite a few interesting things.

But was Ocarina of Time 2D actually completed?
I thought it was cancelled a long, long time ago?!

I want that game!

The Partners in Time songs sounds good.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2015, 07:24:51 am »
Just checking your site for a bit, and it has quite a few interesting things.

But was Ocarina of Time 2D actually completed?
I thought it was cancelled a long, long time ago?!

I want that game!

The Partners in Time songs sounds good.

Ocarina of Time 2D... is an interesting case.

There's literally been about 20 attempts at it.Out of those, about ten lost interest, one or two got legal notices, one author faked their death in a car accident to get out of it and a bunch of others collapsed as people walked away from the project.  It's kind of like the Defence Against the Dark Arts class in Harry Potter; absolutely everyone who attempts it is cursed.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2015, 01:00:12 pm »
Heh, I heard about the fake car accident while doing my 'homework' on the internet.
I have seen two projects of it. Though the beta restoration project would have been even cooler.

I like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina. The best Zelda game in my opinion.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2015, 01:56:42 pm »
Heh, I heard about the fake car accident while doing my 'homework' on the internet.
I have seen two projects of it. Though the beta restoration project would have been even cooler.

I like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina. The best Zelda game in my opinion.

Better than a link to the past? I dunno about that...
The beta restore is something I keep hoping someone else will start back up. Maybe not that proper n64 plugins are being worked on again, thereay be more interest in 64 hacking? We can all dream...

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2015, 02:26:09 pm »
Better than a link to the past? I dunno about that...
The beta restore is something I keep hoping someone else will start back up. Maybe not that proper n64 plugins are being worked on again, thereay be more interest in 64 hacking? We can all dream...

There was actually a few attempts at resuming the URA Zelda project in the last few years or so.  Not sure if any are still going, but it's possible the project is gonna make a comeback.  Will that please you?

I even remember coming across one on the GCN in the last few months, a revival if you will.

If Zeth wasn't a sociopathic jerkass, then we'd still have such a project...