News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Bahamut Lagoon SNES/Emu differents in bytes?!  (Read 4196 times)

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
Bahamut Lagoon SNES/Emu differents in bytes?!
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:17:41 am »
Hi guys,

iam currently translate and debug bahamut lagoon and start my work together with mopoz.

Mopoz change a lot of things and we expand the rom to 4MB.

Unfortunately we have used the emu version of this rom to start the translation and this version has some buggy fontset on realhardware.

I tried check the IPS file after i create a IPS file of snes and emu version of the English translation. But there are a lot of other changes. Complete chapterposition in rom and startinginstructions are completely different.

Check the old page for a separate patch, but could found anything or only the complete patches of the game. 

Hope Tomato or some of the old ream see the thread and could answer or send me the old patch.

Further in the patch notes is this comment:

"Dark Force is currently working on a copier bugfix, at which point he will release a new patch with correctly translated item names as well. UPDATE [June 2007]: Seems this isn’t happening."

-> Regarding the item names. What was exactly wrong?

Thanks in advance.

red

DarkForce

Re: Bahamut Lagoon SNES/Emu differents in bytes?!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:51:39 am »
Check the old page for a separate patch, but could found anything or only the complete patches of the game. 

Hope Tomato or some of the old ream see the thread and could answer or send me the old patch.

Not sure what you mean.. our old patch is available on this site.
Are you trying to retranslate the game yourself or just apply the translation patch? If you're having trouble applying the patch, maybe it's a rom header issue?

"Dark Force is currently working on a copier bugfix, at which point he will release a new patch with correctly translated item names as well. UPDATE [June 2007]: Seems this isn’t happening."

-> Regarding the item names. What was exactly wrong?

Some weeks or months after the original patch release, Tomato fixed some item names that were mistranslated... I don't remember what they were now but I just never got around to releasing the update, I can't remember why. I actually found my old work last year and was going to release it but the HDD I had the project on died shortly after I discovered it and I haven't found a back-up.

DF

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 03:45:05 am »
WOW,

hey DarkForce. Welcome  back to the scene! ;)

The both patches for emulation and copier are still available on your page, thats right.

I though that it exist a patch which only changed the bytes from emu to snes version that the font will display correctly.

So, i create a ips file from Emu to snes version and check the changed bytes, but the snes version has a lot of more changes and i could not find out which bytes i have to changed to fix the font glitches.

That your hdd died shortly after your further work on the project is very sad, because i thing your other programs like the translation tool for Star Ocean is also note available anymore, right?

Some years ago, i tried to contact you because the script was already translated from english to german for a german SO version. I also contact BES from the french translation which used a part of the script and send me a very first alpha of the german version, but he is out of the scene and dont answer my last PM/email. He said he promised that he won't release or send the toolset to a another person. ;/

Do you think it would be possible, if still available, to send me your old toolset for the transalation of SO?! Further technical changes could i do if required.

Thanks in advance.

red

magno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:35:17 am »
Nice to see you back, DarkForce! I suppose you are not active anymore, but I feel really happy to see you around  :woot!:

I wish I could have enough free time to start a StarOcean multilingual translation project as I did for Seiken Densetsu 3 and Romancing Saga 3. So far, I only dumped the script and made it translate into spanish.

xander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »
The brazillians are working on Starocean as well. Did you try asking them for help? = http://romhacking.trd.br/index.php?/topic/8775-snes-star-ocean/page-4
xander

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:20:24 pm »
It'd be WONDERFUL if they released the translation tools for Star Ocean.  Lord that would be wonderful
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 06:33:48 pm »
I actually found my old work last year and was going to release it but the HDD I had the project on died shortly after I discovered it and I haven't found a back-up.

Hmmm... Another infamous DeJap hard drive debacle? :laugh:

Nice to see you again DarkForce! It's good to know you haven't been hit by a bus. :P You're never too old to satisfy that ROM hacking itch, you know. What are you up to these days?
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 07:01:53 pm »
Nice to see you again DarkForce! It's good to know you haven't been hit by a bus. :P You're never too old to satisfy that ROM hacking itch, you know. What are you up to these days?

This! It's weird (but totally awesome) how many old hats have shown up around here in the last few months.

It'd be WONDERFUL if they released the translation tools for Star Ocean.  Lord that would be wonderful

You know, several years back I'd actually been considering taking a poke at the Star Ocean patch and seeing what I could do with the 8x8 menus. Not adding a vwf or anything like that, mind, but rearranging things to allow for longer item/skill/talent names and the like. A number of things kept me from doing so, not the least of which were professional courtesy and my own unfortunately large project backlog.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:35:09 pm »
That was actually what I was working on awhile back but I just kind of lost interest when I found out how little space there was left to work with.

It DEFINITELY needs some re-arranging and has a bit more room possibility on screen than Tales of Phantasia so things could look pretty with a ton of work.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:01 pm »
That was actually what I was working on awhile back but I just kind of lost interest when I found out how little space there was left to work with.

Are we talking screen space or ROM space? Because I'm really good at finding more screen real estate where it doesn't seem like much exists.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 07:58:43 am »
ROM space.  The only extra ROM space I could find was deleting the rest of the unnecessary JP font left over.

Screen space, oh yeah there's definitely room.  I'd LOVE to rework some of the screen space sometime later on.  Just a little 'clean up' patch for the game in general!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
Is there any compression in place for the 8x8 already? You'd be amazed at how much space you can glean from a simple dictionary or DTE scheme.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:46:59 pm »
As far as I recall, there was absolutely nothing done for 8x8 compression wise.