News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Trouble opening patches  (Read 3642 times)

GarrettCRW

• View Profile
Trouble opening patches
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:35:41 am »
While opening the archives for a bunch of patches I've not bothered to patch and load onto my various flash carts, I've run into an issue with opening up two translation archives, for The Quest of Ki and Konami Wai Wai World. Both of the rar archives cause an error message:

"A failure has occurred.
The structure of the archive is damaged."

It's not an issue with the file format, as some other rars in the same batch of patches expanded just fine. Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble opening patches
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:46:08 am »
So, this Quest of Ki?
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2029/

I'm not sure what to tell you, as it works fine for me.  What decompression program are you using?  (If it's sufficiently old, it may not support newer versions of the RAR format.)

The MD5 of the downloaded file is 3a44dc7e0b0384fd5f5c48309400e408  .  You can check if your file is the same using WinMD5 from http://blisstonia.com/software/ , or any other MD5 program.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:18:26 pm »
I've run into problems where 7zip couldn't open .rar files. In one case, 7zip couldn't even open a .7z file because it used compression settings my version of 7zip didn't support. So my first suggestion is to try updating or using a different archive tool.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:58:06 pm »
Winrar can extract 7zip files, too.

cret

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:10:24 pm »
@Jorpho: Seems like those checksums are not up to date. please check the others too: http://runas-racer.com/foo/q.png
go r2, use debug. .... White hand was fainted

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:27:09 am »
@Jorpho: Seems like those checksums are not up to date. please check the others too: http://runas-racer.com/foo/q.png

Well, the official No-Intro hashes seem to be calculated without the header, which usually makes sense because some headers contain some junk. Those checksums do match the rom from GoodNES, though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:43:12 am by mziab »

cret

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 06:31:25 am »
ooups
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:46:46 am by cret »
go r2, use debug. .... White hand was fainted

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 06:56:29 am »
It is really unfortunate, though. The GoodNES and NoIntro roms for this differ by a single byte in the header, yet the BPS patch will fail with the latter because technically the checksum is different.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
Well, the official No-Intro hashes seem to be calculated without the header, which usually makes sense because some headers contain some junk.

Yep. No-Intro hashes don't include the header. These will match the hashes that emulators provide (SNES9x, FCEUX, and others). TOSEC and GoodTools include the header, and will match what a general file hashing utility will give you.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 02:48:56 pm »
Yep. No-Intro hashes don't include the header. These will match the hashes that emulators provide (SNES9x, FCEUX, and others). TOSEC and GoodTools include the header, and will match what a general file hashing utility will give you.

This is usually not a problem, seeing that most No-Intro roms are distributed headerless anyway. But the NES is a notable exception, since iNES headers are actually required for most emulators to run the games. And so we are left with this little quirk. A rom database built into emulators would be one alternative and some emulators use that, but it comes with its own set of drawbacks.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:20:53 am »
Anyway, I use IZArc for my unRAR tasks.  I used to keep a copy of WinRAR handy, but it seems to have been so long since I last needed it that I no longer have it installed.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!