News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Most "accessible" Final Fantasy game to hack?  (Read 2306 times)

Shhwonk

Most "accessible" Final Fantasy game to hack?
« on: March 11, 2014, 07:20:45 pm »
Hey, everyone. My name's Russell.

So I've been getting massively inspired to create an RPG. But which FF game would I get the most out of? As in, has the most available tools to make things efficient, the most documentation, best game capabilities, etc.... I want to create a complete overhaul with a new story and scripts, essentially a new FF game, not with just measly graphics or text edits. I believe the original FFI is one of the most accessible, but its graphical capabilities are (to me) way outdated and not worth the hassle overhauling.

I guess I could go with RPGMaker but I'd like to start with the real deal. Thanks  8)

Scio

• View Profile
Re: Most "accessible" Final Fantasy game to hack?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »
FF4 and FF6 have the most tools.

Though I'll advise: if you're trying to create something from scratch, you can just import sprites/sounds to RPGmaker. It will give you more flexibility in the long run, and you will learn something about programming as a bonus.

Sinthet

• A line of code a day keeps insanity away.
    • View Profile
    • I write stuff here, sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:21:50 am »
Not too sure how older Final Fantasy games deal with scripted events, but my gut feeling is that are somehow hard-coded, rather than interpreted, due to memory/CPU limitations. This means that you would have to hook into or overwrite this code every time you want to modify or create a scripted event. Get ready for lots of ASM  :beer:

Anyway, good luck!

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:19:04 pm »
Not too sure how older Final Fantasy games deal with scripted events, but my gut feeling is that are somehow hard-coded, rather than interpreted, due to memory/CPU limitations. This means that you would have to hook into or overwrite this code every time you want to modify or create a scripted event. Get ready for lots of ASM.

As for FF4 and FF6 (and others I presume), there are event commands to script events. You're not directly dealing with ASM unless you wanna code a new event command...

To answer the thread, I would say FF4 and FF6 because of the documentation and tools available. FF7 PC version also has a great amount of tools and a lot has been found about the game.

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 03:05:50 am »
Im hoping to make FF1 the most accessible when I am done with my documentation.

Now if I can just figure out a few more things, and it will be perfectly documented.