News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with Lunar IPS  (Read 7013 times)

piau9000

• View Profile
Help with Lunar IPS
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:54:01 pm »
Hi guys. I need some help with Lunar IPS.
I see everywhere that the best IPS patcher is Lunar and it will always work and all.
But for some reason it never works for me. Almost all times the rom became corrupt and the emulators can't read it.
I tried today the new Lodoss patch and it is just black screen on snes9x and zsnes.

Then I used the good old IPSwin and it worked like it always do.

Do the Lunar version that I downloaded here outdated?
What is the best patcher for IPS files?

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: Help with Lunar IPS
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:34:12 pm »
This sounds like a header issue. Either the patch requires a header, and your rom doesn't have one, or the patch requires no header, and your rom does have one. You'll need to determine which is true, then try again with.a clean rom.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:35:10 pm »
I looked at the patch here, and it requires a ROM with NO header.
If you're not sure if your ROM has a reader or not, there's a program called SnesTool that can remove the header from a SNES rom. After removing the header, just apply the patch.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:40:17 pm »
What game are you trying to hack? Some do require a header and others don't.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:08:55 am »
I looked at the patch here, and it requires a ROM with NO header.
If you're not sure if your ROM has a reader or not, there's a program called SnesTool that can remove the header from a SNES rom. After removing the header, just apply the patch.

TUSH is a much more user-friendly and non-antiquated alternative.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:25 am »
This topic should definitely be under newcomer's board.

Second of all, there is no difference between the IPS patchers. The patch is important, not the patcher. The IPS contains a list of all changes: the location in a rom, as well as the new code, so how can one patcher be different from others, if the changes are recorded in the patch itself (any IPS patcher just "does" what the IPS file is saying).

Lunar IPS is not outdated. The only difference between the IPS patchers could be, that some auto-ignore the header, which is what IPSwin did.

The rom, which is not working, is a result of false patching= patching to a wrong original rom (in your case you patched to headered rom, instead of non-headered). And the Lunar IPS, and IPS in general is dumb enough, not to include the crc id of the hack and thus can not see the difference between the correctly patched and bugged rom (it says patching successful in any case).

The IPS is also a linear patching format (can not handle any shifted data. So if someone uses the headered rom for base and non headered for modified one by accident, it would think the files are completely different, which is again dumb).

To anyone, who is making patches: make UPS or xdelta, not IPS.
The extensive info on the original rom and header info on the site under ROM info is obviously not enough to prevent false patching.

Regarding the removal of the header: Tush program for rookies, but a true hacker will of course use the hex editor.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:27 am »
Actually, I don't think IPSWin supports RLE compression used by most modern IPS patches, including ones generated by LunarIPS. Some of my own patches work fine when patched with LunarIPS, but not IPSWin, so I've been telling people to steer clear of the latter.

As for UPS, some design flaws have been found in the format and it has since been deprecated in favor of BPS, which provides both linear and delta patching. And unlike xdelta, there is soft-patching support for it in some emulators (higan, RetroArch, newer Snes9x builds).

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 08:15:29 am »
That's correct. IPSwin is old. I was always using Lunar IPS, and wasn't aware that the IPSwin actually doesn't support the RLE (when it should).

Regarding the UPS. I never had problems with this patch format. But of course BPS and xdelta are even more advanced.

piau9000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 08:21:23 am »
UPDATE

I'm not that dumb regarding the the patching process.
The rom was Headerless like the patch required and the MD5 and the CRC are the same that was in the patch readme.
So the problem is not the rom or the patch. It's the patcher or my PC. Since I've tested in various machines I thought the problem was the patcher.
But Today I tested again and it worked. So maybe a memory issue?
Anyway this problem has occurred countless times, and only with lunar. Maybe this program don't like me.... :-\

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:59:05 am »
I've tested this out. The CRC-32 of the ROM must be 1B3E22C3, as stated in the readme (no header). Patched with Lunar IPS, opened in the emu. Works.

Screen

I have no idea, why it didn't work for you, if the original file had the correct CRC.

piau9000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 10:13:25 am »
Like I said it happens a lot with lunar. Maybe hardware incompability...

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 10:45:01 am »
I once applied an IPS patch onto itself, and then on the ROM. I had to redownload it. That was dumb.

Although, I deflect part of that fault onto the fact that Lunar IPS changes the file association (so you just need to double click the file). It opens another window - I thought this window, in all my absentmindedness, was to select the IPS patch (which I just clicked), and not the ROM. The result was what you'd expect. It was even more dumb because
Spoiler:
the default only shows ROM files - since there was no ROM in that folder, I selected All Files from the Drop-down list without a thought. That was not a good day.