News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: RPG Demakes?  (Read 4999 times)

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
RPG Demakes?
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:50:42 am »
Given the resurgence in popularity of retro video games, I wonder if anyone has begun making hacks of games designed to give them a more retro feel. for example, a hack of Final Fantasy 4 which downgrades the sprites, music, and palettes to NES quality. obviously, it would be neat to play it on the actual  NES, but i imagine an SNES ROM would suffice. Are there any projects like this going on?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: RPG Demakes?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:24:12 am »
I am half reminded of the Chinese unlicensed SNES/genesis titles at this point.

There was some talk about moving the DS copies of various final fantasy games from the DS 3d to the DS 2d graphics (DS 3d is rarely pretty and GBA/DS 2D is probably about as good as it gets, certainly more than capable of whatever home consoles could have ever done).

Some Zelda games have had discussion towards this end though this is usually for people that started out on other titles and want the SNES Link sprite changed to one they are more familiar with (I have met it several times for the GBA port).

I think some of the fire emblem crowd have done something here though that is often more for games of a similar generation or using old characters or something.

Straight up demakes though usually come in the way of fan games and homages which in turn tend not to be made for the old consoles and especially not as hacks (homebrew games being the case here). Similarly I have never seen the logic really applied to making 16 bit era looking games look like 8 bit era games. Granted I have probably now made a comment like I see when others say things like "old consoles like the N64"... relevant XKCD http://xkcd.com/771/
There is also the likes of FF7 NES I suppose ( http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=12466.0 ) but that is an unlicensed title (though I practice I reckon homebrew is probably a better term) and back where I started.

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »
Why not try Bravely Default (3DS) or Yu-Gi-Oh The Falsebound Kingdom (GCN)? They are good games and i would LOVE to see them de-made!
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:34:59 am »
Given the resurgence in popularity of retro video games, I wonder if anyone has begun making hacks of games designed to give them a more retro feel. for example, a hack of Final Fantasy 4 which downgrades the sprites, music, and palettes to NES quality. obviously, it would be neat to play it on the actual  NES, but i imagine an SNES ROM would suffice. Are there any projects like this going on?
I would love to see something like this come to fruition :) I'm reminded of those FF++ hacks, which were amazingly nostalgic yet novel at the same time :p

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:16:12 am »
I've seen someone brought up the idea of a FFVII demake on Chrono Trigger.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »
That wouldn't be a half bad idea. There are plenty of tools for CT, and it's a solid rpg engine. With some good ASM work it could be pretty awesome. Plus you hardly ever see any 16-bit demakes.

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:21 am »
I'm working (albeit slowly) on a demake of Mass Effect, using Starflight on the Mega Drive as a base. Going slowly, but finally have free time to work on it again for the first time in months. Although this is more of an adventure game than an RPG, and I'm not sticking to the story of Shepherd. Should make for an interesting prequel if I ever get anywhere though!

http://masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:57:18 am »
I'm working (albeit slowly) on a demake of Mass Effect, using Starflight on the Mega Drive as a base. Going slowly, but finally have free time to work on it again for the first time in months. Although this is more of an adventure game than an RPG, and I'm not sticking to the story of Shepherd. Should make for an interesting prequel if I ever get anywhere though!

http://masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk

This sounds really cool. I have half a mind to share this on one of the Mass Effect subreddits now :p

:cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:37:03 am »
This sounds really cool. I have half a mind to share this on one of the Mass Effect subreddits now :p

Thanks man, I thought it would be cool too! Feel free to tell reddit, just don't get their hopes up for a release date!

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 04:27:48 am »

That already exists. In fact, there are several FF4 demakes on Famicom. I happen to own a copy.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:00:47 am »
Isn't one of them broken up into three games?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 02:35:23 pm »
I'm aware of the Chinese release of FF4, but a lot of things were changed or removed for time constraints. The game does not feel very polished, is slow, requires lots of grinding, etc. That's not to say it's a bad game, but it would be interesting to see someone take FF4 and adjust the palettes / music / etc. to appear as though it were an NES game.