News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Japanese abbreviations help

Started by Romsstar, February 23, 2014, 03:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romsstar

There are two sentence where I could use some help which seem to use short forms and
for some reason they're giving me a hard time.
The context is the following:

There are Bombs in a cave in a game and the NPC we are talking thinks it's dangerous and says:

NPC
こんなもの、あぶなくて
ここにはおいとけねえ
なんか、いい知恵はないものかね?

Player
トレーニングに使おう

NPC
あんた、なかなか
ハードなことを考えるな

My issue:  What does that "nakanaka hadona koto o kangaeru" na is supposed to mean?
That we haven't given it much thought? Is the na here a short for nai or for nassai?
And how to distinguish that normally?

And then the NPC says:
そうか...
じゃ、止めはしねえが。
それじゃま、とにかく
やってみるか!
->
Is the sore jama a short for "sore ja mata" or is the jama here used like that he's annoyed/disturbed?
I hope someone can gather this better than me.

This NPCs language is giving me a hard time for some reason. Other characters work just fine.
Could someone explain how to adapt to such speech so that I can learn to translate that better?
Thanks.

Scio

About your second question, it seems like a contraction, yes. It's not uncommon to have those - probably you already know a lot of contractions and not their origin words. Like 許さん (Yurusan) being short for 許さんぞ (Yurusanzo). Or "Ochiro" (fall) being a contraction of the expression "Jigoku he ochiro" (fall to hell).

Cargodin

じゃま = 邪魔 = obstacle.

Hope that helps.

Romsstar

@Cargodin: I know that, that wasn't the point here.
The question here was whether the NPC is really referring to  邪魔  or rather to じゃまた but shortened it?
I'm quite aware, as I pointed out of that meaning of 邪魔 :)
Context wise, it could probably go either way and that's the question here.
How to interpret the na and the jama in these two situations.
But  thank you for trying to help.

Cargodin

Whoops sorry! I was under the impression that it was more of a "annoyed/disturbed" attitude, and not a an actual obstruction. That's what I get for not reading knee-deep.

If anything, I would say, "Well it'll be a hindrance/Well, it's an obstacle/It's a pest, but anyway..." but if you want it to mean the latter, it wouldn't be a capital crime to go with something more along the lines of  "Well, I'm just getting in your way, but anyhow..."

Na is just making "hard" an adjective. ((i.e. "yadda yadda ha taihen desu" Into "Taihen na koto desu." ))

Does that properly answer your question?

BRPXQZME

Quote from: Romsstar on February 23, 2014, 03:07:22 PM
That we haven't given it much thought? Is the na here a short for nai or for nassai?
After a plain form verb, な on its own means "don't ___!"

Quote from: Romsstar on February 23, 2014, 03:07:22 PM
Is the sore jama a short for "sore ja mata" or is the jama here used like that he's annoyed/disturbed?
No, you can't abbreviate that way in Japanese. The じゃま here does mean "obstacle"; the sentiment is "I see... welp, guess there's no stopping you. They are in the way. Why not give it a shot anyway!"

Quote from: Romsstar on February 23, 2014, 03:07:22 PMThis NPCs language is giving me a hard time for some reason. Other characters work just fine.
Could someone explain how to adapt to such speech so that I can learn to translate that better?
Thanks.
You just need more experience with casual Japanese. I'm afraid there's no easy way to acquire that; formal education in that sort of thing only goes so far. You're doing it right, just ask questions if your best guess seems off.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Romsstar

Thanks a lot for the help everyone :)