News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SNES emulator for MAC?  (Read 7991 times)

cent208

• View Profile
SNES emulator for MAC?
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:06:34 am »
I wanted to know what is the best SNES emulator to use for a MAC.

Thanks

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: SNES emulator for MAC?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:19:28 am »
I assume this is a modern Intel mac running osx rather than dual boot or something.

Now then are you asking as

1) Someone wanting to hack games.

2) Someone wanting to just play games but maybe with a few filters and mods.

3) Someone wanting the most accurate emulation possible.

The 3 are not always one and the same, especially where the SNES is concerned for some hacks.

Most accurate naturally has to be Higan (was once bsnes), you can get it http://byuu.org/higan/
It is quite demanding though and may lack some of the more hacky filters people have grown to like over the years. Similarly the benefits to the "I just want to play games" crowd are not all that noticeable for a lot of people.

2) On windows this would be the typical snes9x vs zsnes stuff. Snes9x is ported to just about everything though and that does include a version for the mac inclined.
I can not say I have tried it out lately or that I even know which is the latest build/port/fork for it. https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11337/snes9x should have something though.

1)... ROM hacking is still mostly a windows game, however I guess you could fiddle around with a native emulator and kick the rest over to a vm/dual boot. Higan/bsnes had some basic debugging capabilities but they went so you might be left compiling an old version of bsnes (have a linux version http://neagix.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/recipe-compiling-bsnes-debugger.html ), the vanilla snes9x does also have some small capability here. Most hackers seem to favour something like Geiger's SNES9x mod which is windows only as far as I know
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=17&platform=9&game=&author=&os=&level=&perpage=20&title=&desc=&utilsearch=Go has some there.
To that end time to dual boot or spin up a VM, modern VM tech should breeze though it all with a tiny bit of overhead.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:19 am »
I assume this is a modern Intel mac running osx rather than dual boot or something.
"Assumption is the mother of all..." Well, you get the idea. ;)

I wanted to know what is the best SNES emulator to use for a MAC.
Since not all MACs are created equal, more info could be used. What version of OSX, CPU speed, chipset if you know, etc.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »
Richard Bannister has ported bsnes 0.6.8 to the mac.
http://www.bannister.org/software/index.htm

cent208

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:20:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I am just looking to play games, the game I want to play is a zelda game that is prepatched with mods. I own a that is about 3 years old and runs on OS X 10.6.8. So it looks like my choices are bsnes and snes9x. What do you recommend?

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:54:21 am »
bsnes on AC, snes9x on battery.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

cent208

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:16:59 am »
Just to clarify, you recommend bsnes for a desktop and and snes9x for laptop? I guess that is what you mean by AC and battery. Just curious, why does it matter?

Thanks again

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:56 am »
No, I meant exactly what I said. It has nothing at all to do with the computer’s form factor, only the power source in use.

bsnes (or higan these days, I guess) is a very accurate SNES emulator, and thus needs a lot more CPU power. It should run just fine on a 2011 computer, I’d imagine (haven’t tried it lately, myself). However, more CPU power requires more electric power. Normally, having all the accuracy you can get is just better (except your machine will run hotter and maybe there is something to be said for not unnecessarily contributing to the environmental impact of power plants). But if you’re on a battery, then not only will the more accurate emulator eat through battery power quickly, possibly ending your gaming session prematurely, you may (or may not!) find it doesn’t perform very well: graphics and CPU in general are throttled on battery power, and there is pretty much nothing you can or would even want to do about that. Since snes9x is sufficient for most SNES emulation and can run splendidly on some fairly weak systems, it’s a better choice for low-power situations.

Saves (not save states! SRM files.) are transferrable between SNES emulators because they’re just the raw data that the SNES game would have saved. They might need some renaming or moving, but switching between emulators is not really a hassle as long as you’re using in-game saves.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

wario_101

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »
 ;D You can also check out coolrom's SNES emulators!

cent208

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »
Thanks everybody, I think I will try both the snes9x and bsnes and see which I like more.