News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (0.19) (88% Complete)  (Read 83294 times)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Yes, all very good points.  you are 100% right.  This mod is incredibly amazing. i love it.
I have 1 suggestion/request, can you list out enemy drop table?  for people who want 100% completion, a checklist would make it alot more of a fun experience...some type of guidance.  Like for example,  I like to farm in each area until I get all the possible items (via drop and steal) and not progress until I do.  Having a list makes it realistic and possible, instead of having no idea.  I hope you see my point of view.  hardcore games are usually the ones that play rom hacks.  oldschool RPGers like games like FF4.  Alot of the oldschool RPG players were into heavy exp grinding and aiming for 100% collection (all items, all sidequests, etc)  Without things like list of sidequests, etc, players can possibly miss out entirely on some of your features you implemented.
1 thing i really like is how you truly made the combat into an advanced combat system.  very good idea. 1 thing i didnt like (and dont like in RPGs) is cryptic stuff, like puzzle solving or whatever.  in this example, the serpent road.  I know you have your reasons for that area and the hidden walls, but I personally dont like thoes sorts of aspects in RPGs (trying to go thru every single possible tile for fake walls)
I like how you listed out how items give bonus to certain stats.  We could really use a list of the stat bonuses and maybe other details.
anyway just giving my opinions as always, never try to offend.  and again, very nice hack.

Edit:

@Grimoire LD,

look at this - http://arcanelore.net/articles/ff4wrong/
scroll to "The Incredible Invisible Treasure!"
does your mod fix this?

@Grimoire LD,  check inbox for PM

I'm glad you're enjoying it despite some perceived issues with it. I'm afraid Serpent Road isn't apt to change, it's more of an homage to older RPG's that did make you fumble about.  You might find a little bit of that in the secret dungeon as well since it's in a forest there will be some places you can walk through in order to reach your next destination, but that seems more natural because... it's a forest.

The treasure in doors glitch is well known to me, and I believe we know the reason why it happens. Isolating that is on the list of things to do, but we're not quite there yet as far as progress goes and for the most part I've taken the project in piecemeal steps. (The Combat System was developed first and everything has followed after)

Ah, you can find All of the equipment bonuses in the readme (only thing not mentioned in that is the status and elemental infliction of certain weapons, as well as their spells cast on Hit or by Cast, mainly because of wanting people to find some things out for themselves which encourages experimentation.) it does contain their bonuses and if they deal extra damage to certain foes.

I've been thinking of releasing an enemy drop chart, but I've been on the fence because I wanted people to be surprised, but if they want surprise they don't have to use it I guess.

Thankfully I've had one written up since near the start of this project. I just need to update it for the changes I've made since then.

...alright! And done.

I should note that this info. sheet is liable to change at any time as I progress and some enemies that are on there may have already been replaced by the time the Patch reaches them. (As one would notice in the Tower of Zot, there's a variety of new foes).

FFIV-Combat Boost Drop Tables

And here's the updated ReadMe which contains the stats for the newest patch (not much change, just a few clarifications)

FFIV-Combat Boost Readme

And finally here's the newest patch, it doesn't go to the Underworld quite yet, nor does it improve the bosses that need improvement (AntLion, Cagnazzo) that's a bit down the line this is just general bug-fixes (and in one sorry case a bug-reversal due to my inability to fix it adequately...) and general improvements (some text here and there to hint at saying No to get to the Status Potion Item Shop)

FFIV-Combat Boost v0.19!

EDIT: I was completely unaware of that, thanks PinkPuff! I'll fix that for the next release then.

Also DFA Frog can be cured (if I'm understanding the message right) with the MaidKiss and if you're willing to use a Catalyst and 2 Power Stones you can make Croak Ring's at Kaipo which protect you from Frog. (Just make sure you save the game before doing that, it's an experimental system and may be a bit finnicky.)

pinkpuff

• View Profile
Apparently using that non-breaking space character within a name will cause issues, but it definitely works in front.
Let's dance!

Tristal

• View Profile
I'm still following the thread, just eagerly awaiting a new version that opens up the Underworld.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I'm still following the thread, just eagerly awaiting a new version that opens up the Underworld.

Thank you for the efforts, but you may have a bit of a wait. I'm now putting in over 40 hours at work and throw in school and public transit and I only have 3-4 hours a day to do anything outside of those. Once that situation changes I should have more time to focus things.

Tristal

• View Profile
Not a problem at all, just wanted to make sure you weren't waiting on user feedback before proceeding.  We all appreciate what you're doing for us! :)

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
    • http://echostorms.net
keep up the good work.  cant wait to see the next big update.

and thanks for taking some of my advice and opinions into consideration.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I've found myself with a bit of time over this Spring Break to work on Combat Boost a little, I can say that the Northern Wastes is now complete!

The Northern Wastes is the area that the Dwarves who sought to make it to the surface originally protected. They have been gone for many long years and the colony left behind seemed to have faded away within the intervening years. Magma flows freely throughout the now ruined settlement, now unbounded by any safeguards that they put in place. The enchantments on the safeguards still persist however so nothing can enter within them but the dangerous magma flows beyond them and a desperate explorer may soon find themselves sizzling within the magma.

These ancient Dwarves also protected one of the Dark Crystals and by chance this is where Cecil and his party crash landed once their Floatstone gave way. But finding it will not be as simple as waltzing into a temple and grabbing it, the ancient Dwarves were not without their own tricks to prevent would-be treasure hunters from stealing their sacred treasure.

Of note: Rosa will no longer be learning Float, but there will be a new Dragon in the Underworld/Northern Wastes which can teach it to Kain.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Love the look of the lava... Er, waterfalls. Cool idea.
Will there be exposition when you get to the Northern Wastes to tell this story?
Also, does Float come in handy to traverse lava flows?
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Love the look of the lava... Er, waterfalls. Cool idea.
Will there be exposition when you get to the Northern Wastes to tell this story?
Also, does Float come in handy to traverse lava flows?

Thanks Chillyfeez, and while it looks neat now, they will lose their novelty by Gulg Volcano, I'm sure, heh.

I'm running out of Bank 2 space at this point so I have to be careful, I probably won't be able to throw in the finer details, but I should be able to at least tell the player what the place was and why they can't enter any magma that have proper boundaries.

Float will allow you to walk over (or in, just not take damage) the magma flow. Since it's just panels with the "Damage Panel" bit set.

Also due to some spell rearranging can't be used outside of battle any longer, so it will have to be cast in-battle.

EDIT: Due to Chillyfeez's suggestion the Northern Wastes now has a completed intro and the party will get to learn a little bit about what they face and the obstacles ahead. So not only is this a new area, but it will have two brand new scenes to go along with it!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:59:11 pm by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Wow. Did you have to sacrifice some other dialogue for all of that?
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Wow. Did you have to sacrifice some other dialogue for all of that?

Not yet anyhow, I deleted a lot of superfluous measures from Bank 2 a while back so I guess I made more than enough room for my plans here, thank goodness.

The scene is Rosa reading a weathered tablet which is basically a "last goodbye" of the people who went to the surface and then Cid reading another tablet which is a hint for how to obtain Float. It's not all that long, but is about par for the course as far as intro cutscenes normally go in FFIV.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
Hey...is this project still active?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
It is going in a very different direction, but yes. Combat Boost is still around. If you've been keeping a notice on the ROM Hacking discussion I am doing a rather full overhaul of a lot of things which was keeping me bound as far as data went. These things include 3 Job Classes for each character, a greatly expanded spell list, many, many new commands, randomized enemy AI, and thanks to Chillyfeez's work a Level Balancing Hack (which will keep enemies at the party's level) and a Shadow Party Hack so all characters will be able to be stored in the shadow which will lead the way for party switching, beyond the initial idea of switching Edge for Cid.

But... a lot of this is experimental and there's a good possibility some or none will make it into the final product and if it does there will have to be some sacrifices to already established content such as the Relics. I'm mainly trying to strike a good balance but am keeping my options open this time around.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
Sounds good

May 05, 2015, 11:18:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

considering adding this - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2343/

also, another thing.  I think I brought this up to you in the past, but I really cant remember, its been quite some time...

This is going in the opposite direction of increasing the damage cap...

since 65535 is the most HP an enemy can have, and you want to have longer battles..you can scale everything down, so not such large values are used.

for example, check how its done here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opouZmza_6s
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:51:32 pm by DFA »

Duke2go

• View Profile
Oh no, it's exactly what it says on the tin. Combat Boost. It moves a couple of treasures around, adds in several new enemies, some new events (The Daughters of Artemis" sidequest", and the Switch item for instance) changes most commands, equipment, and armor, giving some of them special effects based on new coding and makes the game more difficult by removing many of the benefits of being in the backrow, adding an entirely different element and feel to the game, and all enemies have had their stats increased and several enemies have some changes to their AI Scripts.

I've kind of dropped in and out of this thread, so if I ask or say something that someone else already has, please pardon me. Didn't have time yet to really go through and read it all. First off, I must say that you have taken Final Fantasy IV and created something that is definitely unique and and interesting spin on that game (Kind of like my Reconstructed project, but on a MUCH grander scale, so kudos for that). I am a little confused however why you took out the back row damage reduction? I've been playing through FFIV Advance recently because I'm going to do a "Lunar Ruins" type dungeon if at all possible in my project. The reason I say that is because Rydia/Rosa/Edge especially seem to get SLAUGHTERED if I don't move them to the back row. I've actually changed my playing style for that game as I've gotten older because I have a better grasp of what everything does now rather than just fighting and using magic. Its not a bad thing that you did that, just know how it will probably make the game that much harder.

Cecil is now a liability as you proceed up Mt. Ordeals rather than someone who can take hits. It is up to the Twins and Tellah to support him up the mountain.

I made Milon into a fairly challenging boss that could make the player pay for several careless mistakes. Tellah can equip Cecil's Dark Swords and with his Elemental Weapon ability he can exchange the Dark Element for a random assortment of elements. So you could use that as a possible strategy. Because of Tellah's more militant role, I decided to get rid of his stat decreases as he levels. This Tellah is a little more Red Mage like than an Aging Sage type. I am right before now where Cecil becomes a Paladin and progress is moving smoothly.

I'm actually really happy that you've "nerfed" Cecil when he is going up Mt. Ordeals, because you're right, he was just WAY too strong through most of that game. I really haven't cared if the rest of the party died if Paladin Cecil and Kain/Edge were still alive. I've actually been rapid leveling up using the fast forward feature of my emulator (I've never been level 40 before I went into Eblan initially before haha). I am also very glad that you've done some things with Milon because he was just a bitch in the original game. Fire2 attack Fire heal was basically the formula you needed to follow in the original game, so if you've done anything to change that you're already doing great in my book. Ironically, you've reflected something almost identical to what I did in my project with your description of Tellah being more of a Red Mage type in this project. When I was trying to come up with custom character sprites I actually modeled what I deemed my Sage character (because Sage sound so much better than Red Wizard) off of Tellah because the color scheme made him look like he did in FFIV. However, I couldn't get used to Tellah swinging a sword, so I swapped the badass Black Wizard character that I'd made with the Sage sprite, thus kind of making a younger looking version of Tellah because his robe is blue, he has a tan, and his hair is brown. This did however present quite a problem with the mapman sprite since I didn't have enough colors to give him a brown beard and hair. He looks ok, but he looked better in the red/white color scheme. I'm very interested to try this out once I finish with my project. Anything Final Fantasy IV I'm all for. Keep up the great work dude.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I've kind of dropped in and out of this thread, so if I ask or say something that someone else already has, please pardon me. Didn't have time yet to really go through and read it all. First off, I must say that you have taken Final Fantasy IV and created something that is definitely unique and and interesting spin on that game (Kind of like my Reconstructed project, but on a MUCH grander scale, so kudos for that). I am a little confused however why you took out the back row damage reduction? I've been playing through FFIV Advance recently because I'm going to do a "Lunar Ruins" type dungeon if at all possible in my project. The reason I say that is because Rydia/Rosa/Edge especially seem to get SLAUGHTERED if I don't move them to the back row. I've actually changed my playing style for that game as I've gotten older because I have a better grasp of what everything does now rather than just fighting and using magic. Its not a bad thing that you did that, just know how it will probably make the game that much harder.

There's a reason for that in the original. Every character that can't equip a Shield gets only 1 Defense Multiplier Ever. Only Shield Bearers get Defense Multipliers from every 16 Agility and 8 Levels this is necessary to mitigate large amounts of damage. Everyone else has to deal with large amounts of incoming damage making Kain and Cecil imbalanced. Combat Boost fixed this by tying Defense Multipliers for everyone to every 8 Vitality and 16 Agility, while skipping the Shield Check. Also I didn't *quite* take out backrow advantage damage (though at the time I believed I had) what I actually did was remove the accuracy divisors on attacks made to the backrow so that the enemy wasn't dealing only 25% or less of their intended damage (based on their accuracy and the character's evasion).

I'm actually really happy that you've "nerfed" Cecil when he is going up Mt. Ordeals, because you're right, he was just WAY too strong through most of that game. I really haven't cared if the rest of the party died if Paladin Cecil and Kain/Edge were still alive. I've actually been rapid leveling up using the fast forward feature of my emulator (I've never been level 40 before I went into Eblan initially before haha). I am also very glad that you've done some things with Milon because he was just a bitch in the original game. Fire2 attack Fire heal was basically the formula you needed to follow in the original game, so if you've done anything to change that you're already doing great in my book. Ironically, you've reflected something almost identical to what I did in my project with your description of Tellah being more of a Red Mage type in this project. When I was trying to come up with custom character sprites I actually modeled what I deemed my Sage character (because Sage sound so much better than Red Wizard) off of Tellah because the color scheme made him look like he did in FFIV. However, I couldn't get used to Tellah swinging a sword, so I swapped the badass Black Wizard character that I'd made with the Sage sprite, thus kind of making a younger looking version of Tellah because his robe is blue, he has a tan, and his hair is brown. This did however present quite a problem with the mapman sprite since I didn't have enough colors to give him a brown beard and hair. He looks ok, but he looked better in the red/white color scheme. I'm very interested to try this out once I finish with my project. Anything Final Fantasy IV I'm all for. Keep up the great work dude.

I'm glad to see you're enjoying it! The next version is going to be Vastly different from what came before (or it may be a separate project all together, I'll need to take a poll eventually)

Cecil was broken in the original. With access to max defense equipment and real Defense Multipliers he could barely be touched and to balance these things out it was necessary for Cecil to have comparable defense to the rest of the party instead of just towering over them so that blows don't just glance off of him.

The first Milon fight still leaves a little to be desired. But I don't think I'll have to worry too much about the Fiends in the newest plans for a variety of reasons. The second Milon fight is very difficult though, without a Dead Man's clothes it can be a trial.

I feel that Tellah in his youth was probably closer akin to a Red Mage, he wears the Red Robes of a Red Mage not the White grandiose trappings of a Sage from FFIII. (Interestingly, Onion Knight's EX Form of a Sage in Dissidia looks more akin to Tellah's outfit than the outfits from either the 3D remake or the original does still have fancy cap). So I've always pictured Tellah being able to wield a sword with some skill, at least in his youth. FFIV shows a man clearly on the decline with him literally Wasting Away in front of you as you level him up. I wanted to give him more use and viability so I changed him a bit.

I would say that Tellah would make a fine Red Wizard upgrade for your project.

gustavocomvoce

• View Profile
Edge will have new Magics from After Years? Assassinate - Blitz - Flame - Flood - Frost - Gale - Heal Pill - Heal Salve - Mirage - Shadowbind - Smoke - Tremor.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Edge will have new Magics from After Years? Assassinate - Blitz - Flame - Flood - Frost - Gale - Heal Pill - Heal Salve - Mirage - Shadowbind - Smoke - Tremor.

As far as Combat Boost goes... no, he will not have any of those. There was not enough default spells in the system we were using at that time for extra Ninja Spells. Nowadays I've cracked a lot of the useless checks (I'm looking at you x2 Summon Spell Slots all so you can randomize Asura!) and PinkPuff has included 6 Letter Spell Names into the editor so the player's spell book could be much larger. But that's all part of a possible expansion on Combat Boost... but we'll see.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
Hey...just seeing if you are still working on this project.  I been checking often and haven't seen any new posts in awhile. 

I was just wondering, this is definitely a project to look forward to

bleedingapathy

• View Profile
Is this mod still being worked on? pray tell.