News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (0.19) (88% Complete)  (Read 83557 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Final Fantasy II (U) V1.1 is the version you need to get the fun started.  >:D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
    • http://echostorms.net
thanks for the quick reply.  I have a post on another forum with links to FF4 related stuff that I been organizing, and I have a link to this mod.  Im considering posting it on my website, but I have still to develop it.  Im thinking of having it in the same style as the legends of localizations site.  Something like an organized blog..still not sure exactly what I want though.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I'm curious then, what item is that door looking for? Not that I expect there to be anything behind it.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next version of the game.  The Calbrena/Golbez fight is usually one of the toughest fights in a normal run so I'm curious to see what you come up with, not to mention what happens to the other two Dark Crystals.

I would highly encourage you to disable Warp in King Giott's room, or perhaps not give it to Rydia at all.

It is looking for the Frozen Key, just like the Frozen Door in the Everwhite Woods, since it's the same NPC and yes all you will uncover is the Wall behind it. (actually maybe not even that, since the event calls for NPC 3 to toggle visibility and NPC 3 in Cid's House is his daughter, so she would disappear until you go back in.

I like to think my addition of the Dark Crystals helps make the story flow a little better for that point in the game and maybe give a default scene a little more "oomph!" so to speak.

I have some ideas for the bosses don't worry. Golbez will be an Actual boss fight not "x2 Fire2 /Flame Sword swipes" "Whyy...!" I might try to throw in the Barrier Change from FFIV:DS for him.

And yes, I recall that old glitch and will easily deal with it when pertinent, thanks for the reminder though.

January 27, 2015, 11:27:44 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
thanks for the quick reply.  I have a post on another forum with links to FF4 related stuff that I been organizing, and I have a link to this mod.  Im considering posting it on my website, but I have still to develop it.  Im thinking of having it in the same style as the legends of localizations site.  Something like an organized blog..still not sure exactly what I want though.

That sounds like a great idea DFA! Legends of Localization is set up fantastically.

Also if you want to remove a header from a rom all you will have to do is open up a hex editor and remove the first 200 bytes (in hex). Or use a program which removes a header.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
@Grimoire LD, thanks for the info.

Apparently I was trying to patch what I think was a fan translated FF4 ROM.  I'm at the Antlion cave so far, and jeez is the game hard.  I'm really enjoying it though.

Edit:
Found a bug, dont know if this is from original game or not.  When I go to rosa to give her SandRuby, if there is an empty space in inventory and then followed by sandruby, it appears as an invisible entry.

[potion] [potion]
[no item] [sandruby]

sand ruby is not visible but can be selected.

using ZSNES

edit2:  holy crap this mod is hard and holy crap x2, did Palom just learn Ice3? sweet
how do i cure poison status? no antidotes around
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:37:56 pm by DFA »

DracoSerge

• View Profile

"Would you like Sundries"

Say no.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
"Would you like Sundries"

Say no.

lmao, holy crap.  nice

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
@Grimoire LD, thanks for the info.

Apparently I was trying to patch what I think was a fan translated FF4 ROM.  I'm at the Antlion cave so far, and jeez is the game hard.  I'm really enjoying it though.

Edit:
Found a bug, dont know if this is from original game or not.  When I go to rosa to give her SandRuby, if there is an empty space in inventory and then followed by sandruby, it appears as an invisible entry.

[potion] [potion]
[no item] [sandruby]

sand ruby is not visible but can be selected.

using ZSNES

edit2:  holy crap this mod is hard and holy crap x2, did Palom just learn Ice3? sweet

It is a slight glitch... but one I'm not too concerned with. To fix it all you need to do is make sure there are no gaps in your inventory. I noticed it a while back, but it would be a lot of work to fix it. Thanks for reminding me though.

Yes, Combat Boost is quite difficult for the purpose to give all of the new tools some worthy foes to challenge. There was a patch a long while back which kept the game vanilla-ish but just had Combat Boost's abilities and skills. Stupidly easy, may I add.

...Did Palom learn Ice 3? Was... it by leveling? If not, I'll have to look into it.

And as DracoSerge has said "No". at the Item counter. I'm Really going to need a character to mention this early on. Probably in the Training Hall.

I am glad to see you're enjoying it so far! Please keep me up to date with your impressions.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile

yes, from leveling.  I cant find the path in serpent road.  I can see the exit but can't reach it.
the monsters are so hard i had to set 0x72DE35 to 0 just to get by...

but yeah, frustrating at times, but nonetheless, the game is enjoyable

edit: i didnt want to wait for a response and wanted to keep playing, so I used walk thru walls to get to the end and walk backwards from there to find the path.  With the encounter rate, difficulty of monsters, and castlevania II-like hidden paths, I would of never found it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:20:43 pm by DFA »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile

yes, from leveling.  I cant find the path in serpent road.  I can see the exit but can't reach it.
the monsters are so hard i had to set 0x72DE35 to 0 just to get by...

but yeah, frustrating at times, but nonetheless, the game is enjoyable

edit: i didnt want to wait for a response and wanted to keep playing, so I used walk thru walls to get to the end and walk backwards from there to find the path.  With the encounter rate, difficulty of monsters, and castlevania II-like hidden paths, I would of never found it.

Setting encounters to 00? I didn't even know we knew what that was located! Unless you meant the encounter rate of the specific area, which would make sense.

Indeed. The Serpent Road is a test of endurance and patience. Well, you managed to get to it one way or another, and yikes! Well you might find the game a bit easier from hereon out if your party is already this high, hehe.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
When i set/lock the the value at that address to 0, battles are automatically won (but no exp/gold is awarded, which is perfect)

thank god yang joined at level 37. lmao look at that HP, hes a monster.

I found out about 0x72DE35 when I kept rushing through the game to get to the dwarf castle to try to execute arbitrary code (via 64-floor glitch)

edit: whats this thief gauntlet I found? who can equip it (and what slot?)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:10:46 pm by DFA »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
When i set/lock the the value at that address to 0, battles are automatically won (but no exp/gold is awarded, which is perfect)

thank god yang joined at level 37. lmao look at that HP, hes a monster.

I found out about 0x72DE35 when I kept rushing through the game to get to the dwarf castle to try to execute arbitrary code (via 64-floor glitch)

edit: whats this thief gauntlet I found? who can equip it (and what slot?)

Ah, that makes a good deal of sense then.

Yang was put in the Shadow Party, a long with all other rejoining characters which is why his level keeps track with yours. But you probably already knew that.

Lucky you on finding the Thief Glove! It is a rare item which when equipped will allow Steal to also use a normal attack, so it turns Steal into Mug. Only Edge can equip it though so... probably a bit after the next big update will you actually be able to use it, eh heh. Sorry about that.

In fact, you must have run into Rogues in the Serpent Road which is the 1/64 Enemy, and on top of that you got their 1/32 item! That's Almost getting the Pink Tail without any Siren use.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
oh wow.  I do have pretty good luck when it comes to video games =]

edit: oh, actually i found it in the baron underground passageway...whats the rarity there?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:19:39 pm by DFA »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
oh wow.  I do have pretty good luck when it comes to video games =]

edit: oh, actually i found it in the baron underground passageway...whats the rarity there?

Right, I forgot Wisps could have dropped them.

44% chance to run into Wisps, and roughly 2-3 per formation, so pretty par for the course actually, hehe.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile

the apple doesnt have text.

I made a save state inside the crystal room after the first fight vs the elf, then I couldnt beat him (even with level 38 yang)
I had to skip the fight to continue the game.  I only had 2 remedies and I couldn't do much when my entire party was pig+mini+charmed
also, having hard time farming gold.  I can buy like 1-2 items, and thats it.  I had cid pretty much naked minus hammer+leather armor.  cant afford armor for yang either.
i returned to the mysidia area to farm ravens to level up cid.  the monsters who cast charm on your team arnt worth the effort, best to just run.
same with the rodent guys who counter with needle.  pretty much a problem i found with the mod is, running is typically the best solution unless the exp/gold reward is worth it.  otherwise just wait for encounters that are worth it.  when i go through dungeons, i run from pretty much 100% of the battles.  im just giving my opinions/my experience of the play through.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile

the apple doesnt have text.

I made a save state inside the crystal room after the first fight vs the elf, then I couldnt beat him (even with level 38 yang)
I had to skip the fight to continue the game.  I only had 2 remedies and I couldn't do much when my entire party was pig+mini+charmed
also, having hard time farming gold.  I can buy like 1-2 items, and thats it.  I had cid pretty much naked minus hammer+leather armor.  cant afford armor for yang either.
i returned to the mysidia area to farm ravens to level up cid.  the monsters who cast charm on your team arnt worth the effort, best to just run.
same with the rodent guys who counter with needle.  pretty much a problem i found with the mod is, running is typically the best solution unless the exp/gold reward is worth it.  otherwise just wait for encounters that are worth it.  when i go through dungeons, i run from pretty much 100% of the battles.  im just giving my opinions/my experience of the play through.

That's the reason I put in the Blacksmith's to provide crucial accessories. You can block Whisper with the RubyRing which can be obtained at  and you can block Charm with Headbands, Mini can admittedly not easily be blocked but Combat Boost encourages the player to carry around healing items of every sort.

Charm is then easily dealt with, even Tellah can equip a Headband and they are cheap, very cheap at 450 GP (in that patch, they've been changed to 2000 GP in the progress-patch due to their ability).

Also keep in mind a lot of Combat Boost is knowing FFIV inside and out enemy's that have a severe weakness (not counting instant death like Break) is mostly kept in tact. How do you deal with Needlers? Cast Pig (either through the FengShui Rod or with the Pig spell). How do you deal with DeludImp's? Cast Silence. Status Ailments are your Best friend in Combat Boost since they are normally low radar in the normal game. Just don't expect everything to work all the time, but a lot of the enemies is knowing their weaknesses which are mostly the same from default FFIV.

The Apples being screwed up seems to be something with the system itself bizarrely enough. It only acts that way on those two items. This has been an issue for Project II since the start.

Overall though you may just need to think more strategically. Cecil for instance can resist Dark Breath with the Light Shield since it resists Dark and Holy.

Tristal

• View Profile
It's screwed up that way for Soma Drops too.

Another bug is that the scene that happens upon entering the Underworld takes your party leader sprite instead of using a Cecil sprite.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
It's screwed up that way for Soma Drops too.

Another bug is that the scene that happens upon entering the Underworld takes your party leader sprite instead of using a Cecil sprite.

That is on me, when I wrote the event I forgot to include a "change character graphic" good call. That will be fixed by the next patch.

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
That's the reason I put in the Blacksmith's to provide crucial accessories. You can block Whisper with the RubyRing which can be obtained at  and you can block Charm with Headbands, Mini can admittedly not easily be blocked but Combat Boost encourages the player to carry around healing items of every sort.

Charm is then easily dealt with, even Tellah can equip a Headband and they are cheap, very cheap at 450 GP (in that patch, they've been changed to 2000 GP in the progress-patch due to their ability).

Also keep in mind a lot of Combat Boost is knowing FFIV inside and out enemy's that have a severe weakness (not counting instant death like Break) is mostly kept in tact. How do you deal with Needlers? Cast Pig (either through the FengShui Rod or with the Pig spell). How do you deal with DeludImp's? Cast Silence. Status Ailments are your Best friend in Combat Boost since they are normally low radar in the normal game. Just don't expect everything to work all the time, but a lot of the enemies is knowing their weaknesses which are mostly the same from default FFIV.

Yes, all very good points.  you are 100% right.  This mod is incredibly amazing. i love it.
I have 1 suggestion/request, can you list out enemy drop table?  for people who want 100% completion, a checklist would make it alot more of a fun experience...some type of guidance.  Like for example,  I like to farm in each area until I get all the possible items (via drop and steal) and not progress until I do.  Having a list makes it realistic and possible, instead of having no idea.  I hope you see my point of view.  hardcore games are usually the ones that play rom hacks.  oldschool RPGers like games like FF4.  Alot of the oldschool RPG players were into heavy exp grinding and aiming for 100% collection (all items, all sidequests, etc)  Without things like list of sidequests, etc, players can possibly miss out entirely on some of your features you implemented.
1 thing i really like is how you truly made the combat into an advanced combat system.  very good idea. 1 thing i didnt like (and dont like in RPGs) is cryptic stuff, like puzzle solving or whatever.  in this example, the serpent road.  I know you have your reasons for that area and the hidden walls, but I personally dont like thoes sorts of aspects in RPGs (trying to go thru every single possible tile for fake walls)
I like how you listed out how items give bonus to certain stats.  We could really use a list of the stat bonuses and maybe other details.
anyway just giving my opinions as always, never try to offend.  and again, very nice hack.

Edit:

@Grimoire LD,

look at this - http://arcanelore.net/articles/ff4wrong/
scroll to "The Incredible Invisible Treasure!"
does your mod fix this?

@Grimoire LD,  check inbox for PM
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:01:39 am by DFA »

pinkpuff

• View Profile
I had this problem in my hack too when I was messing with item names. "_FireBomb" would display correctly in the menus and such but if I got one from a chest it would say "Received !" (it correctly added the item to my inventory but didn't display the name). I found out that there is actually a separate "non-breaking" space character 0x15.

In future versions of FF4kster I will have this character mapped to # on the keyboard by default, but for a quick fix, you can open up your font.cfg font.dat file in the Config folder and add a line that says "# 15". Then go through your item names and make sure that whenever there's a leading space (or really any space within the name of an item) it uses the space typed by # not by the spacebar.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:03:12 pm by pinkpuff »
Let's dance!

DFA

• 0xDFA
    • View Profile
keyword/most important slogam of your mod is "Overall though you may just need to think more strategically. Cecil for instance can resist Dark Breath with the Light Shield since it resists Dark and Holy. "

when it comes to do that,  ilove challenging bosses.
2 things i hate bout those bosses is..is stuff like "fallen angel"(sp)? where all HP drops to 1 then you are one shoot
othertimes, you'll have 3 guys in pig (no cure frog i noticed so far), mini, poison. and charmed for luls