News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (0.19) (88% Complete)  (Read 83549 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
This looks awesome. :) I'd like to try it out, but sadly it seems my ancient internets can't open the links to the ips or readme. 

In any case, I love the idea of Serpent Road being a dungeon, amped up combat, and a new place to explore. Keep up the epic work!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
This looks awesome. :) I'd like to try it out, but sadly it seems my ancient internets can't open the links to the ips or readme. 

In any case, I love the idea of Serpent Road being a dungeon, amped up combat, and a new place to explore. Keep up the epic work!

Thank you very much Bahamut ZERO! Your internet won't allow you to open the readme even? That is rather strange, is it the link to the site which is the problem?

But since you have posted I can post about one of the most significant updates to Combat Boost since the introduction of Everwhite Woods.

This patch focuses on the Blacksmith and Power Stones set up I have used and it's also the first part of a larger plan to start changing dungeons around...

As you may recall from earlier you could acquire Power Stones from a few select enemies and there was a Blacksmith in Baron who says that he can take a Power Stone and a Kunai and give you x5 Kunai (for Edge's Katana Soul command). Well I have fully implemented the Blacksmiths into every town (that once contained a dancer) and each Dancer have been turned into a Blacksmith, I thought that the idea of setting up a Blacksmith that only copied weapons for Edge was sufficient enough at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how niche the entire idea was and if I couldn't expand the role of Blacksmiths I shouldn't have them at all.

That's when I decided to do something a little different. In FFIV: Combat Boost, accessories are rare all around, they can only be acquired from certain party members when they first join or are more often than not, the rare drop from an enemy.

I recently started a playthrough before this where I did my best to get through the game without any grinding and I made it all the way to the Magus Sisters before I hit a brick wall, but the thing is that if I had a few accessories to prevent the status ailments I may have had a better chance. So now Blacksmith's will offer both the Katana copying and create Accessories, but at a price. Clearly I didn't want people to just stockpile the Power Stones but to make an accessory you need a Catalyst, a rare item that is hidden in parts of dungeons where you may not expect (a Catalyst is never in a chest location from the original game) there is one in every dungeon in the game. You will also need several Power Stones depending on the presumed worth of the accessory so say you're in Kaipo which offers the CroakRng (protects from Frog) because Frog is a fairly rare status, even in Combat Boost, it only costs 2 Power Stones, but something as valuable as the Germinas Ring which grants both Physical and Magical Evasion costs 4 Power Stones.

Power Stones are now the Uncommon Drop for most normal enemies (not all though) .

Here are a couple of pictures of the Blacksmithing process in action...

Also of note a terrible bug where Rosa's last arrow would cause the character in Slot 1 to lose their weapon on their next turn has been corrected. The lady looking for the Ranger Key now correctly looks for the Ranger Key, not an Echo Herb.

This will likely be the final patch of the Overworld for now (until the completion of the main project) barring any bug fixes, text changes, or balance changes.

Final Fantasy IV:Combat Boost! v0.16
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:39:14 pm by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
You know, I think that happened to me, except Porom had the bow & arrow.
I didn't say anything about it because I wasn't quite sure of the circumstances. All of a sudden, I just noticed that Cecil's sword was gone, and he had a bow and no arrows instead. Could that have been the same thing?
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
You know, I think that happened to me, except Porom had the bow & arrow.
I didn't say anything about it because I wasn't quite sure of the circumstances. All of a sudden, I just noticed that Cecil's sword was gone, and he had a bow and no arrows instead. Could that have been the same thing?

I shouldn't have said "Rosa" in the last post, I should have said "bow-wielder". I noticed it a month or so ago but wasn't sure of the circumstances either (I noticed it happened after Rosa was Berserked and used her last arrow) I thought it was rare enough that it wasn't too pressing of a matter at the moment, then I was under the impression that my Arrow Barrage command was causing an overflow error of sorts and taking the weapon of Slot 1 just a couple of days ago, then I tested it fully and saw that this occurred whenever all arrows were used up that the character in Slot 1 would lose their weapon if their turn arrived after the bow-wielders final arrow was used. This is due to the check at the start of turn still occurring to decrement the final arrow, but since it can't find the owner it just draws it from Slot 1, that check has been fully disabled in the most recent patch. (As it was meant to be initially but I hadn't realized that I hadn't sidestepped it completely.)

I hope you hacked your sword back onto Cecil!

(I just noticed I put the link in the previous post, but didn't actually put the text needed for it to appear so the download link now shows up proper.)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
I think I just reset the game. It didn't happen again.

Latest Demo

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Thank you very much Bahamut ZERO! Your internet won't allow you to open the readme even? That is rather strange, is it the link to the site which is the problem?

Final Fantasy IV:Combat Boost! v0.16

I think it may be on my end, as the computer I'm using is old, with outdated internet due to system requirements. It also has troubles on sites like mediafire, dropbox, etc lol.

EDIT: Got it. Time to kick some ass. :D
In any case, nice update! I'm liking the idea of blacksmithing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:53:21 pm by Bahamut ZERO »
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Excellent! Please keep me up to date, do recall it is a difficulty hack and though Dark Omen can carry you through the start with relative ease it won't take long until foes start striking back with vengeance.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
I've been meaning to play and stream more of this, but before I do I thought I should ask - since many new versions have been released since I last played, would you recommend I start over from scratch or can I continue with my current save without too many issues?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I've been meaning to play and stream more of this, but before I do I thought I should ask - since many new versions have been released since I last played, would you recommend I start over from scratch or can I continue with my current save without too many issues?

Yikes... I think that is probably for the best to unfortunately begin a new, since you last played several new chests (and an entirely new area!) has been added. In a previous game save before that happened the new events won't show up properly in the new area and all of the new chests  in the new areas will already look open (or not function at all); in addition the new Catalyst Ring system replaced other treasure in several dungeons, so it is likely you will never be able to get the ones in the Mist Cave and Waterway (which you just passed) Not to mention Rydia's HP has been increased from 30 to 80 to begin with so she has a much easier time surviving than she had before so getting back to that point should be just a little bit easier.

I should note that this was the last enormous update planned for the Overworld section, from here on out my focus is on the Underworld section of the game so you won't need to worry about restarting your game again. I do apologize though for all of those inconsistencies.

Tomato

• View Profile
Cool, thanks! It's no problem, I love FFIV and have no problem starting over again, especially since I'm so early into it. I look forward to checking out all the new stuff!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
What version of the unheadered rom should I use for patching?  I tried patching it to Final Fantasy II 1.0 [!].smc, but it hangs after the title screen on Snesx9 on psp and Wii.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
What version of the unheadered rom should I use for patching?  I tried patching it to Final Fantasy II 1.0 [!].smc, but it hangs after the title screen on Snesx9 on psp and Wii.
You need US version 1.1.

Latest Demo

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Good to go now :) Thank you!

Tomato

• View Profile
I played some more Combat Boost last night and it was cool seeing some of the new changes! If you're interested, I put the archive up here.

Sadly I wasn't able to find the rare dragon that wanders around outside Baron... that's still there, right?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Thanks Mato! I am also glad to see it's working for you Bahamut ZERO.

I am always interested in seeing other's impressions of my works, seeing it from other perspectives lets me know what I may need to change or fix, and see if things that come obvious to me will be the same for the player.

There is indeed a dragon still outside of Baron and he Will kill you if you try to stay and fight (he may just kill you anyhow if speed is against you). It was intended to require a Siren to find (which are the steal item from bosses at the moment) or just to get really lucky (or unlucky depending on the circumstances).

There is a dragon in the Mist Cave which there is a 7% chance to encounter and he is level-set to be fought by a well prepared (but not necessarily well leveled, I beat him originally at starting Level 10 just to see if it was possible) Cecil and Kain alone.

I will check out your videos as soon as possible Mato, thanks again!

As always, any comments, criticisms, I am always open to suggestions.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
It seemed a lot more balanced than last time. Maybe it was just because Mato was getting used to the difficulty, but this time he wasn't constantly aching for Tonic. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Good to know there's still a dragon outside of Baron, I've been fighting random things hoping to come across it haha.

Had my emulator randomly freeze up on me twice roaming the town of Baron. Once trying to go to the upstairs of the Beginner's School (place with the info on new stuff/changes, and the second occurance was heading into Rosa's house, both times during transitioning.  I've been able to go to both spots, so I'm fairly certain it's the emulator.  I'm using Snes9xTYLmecm 0.4.2 Mod Rev.26. Later tonight I'll switch to the Wii so I can mess around on it off my TV with a classic controller. :D

I love seeing the game I got for my 4th birthday with jacked up difficulty and better dialogue. Keep up the good work man!

DracoSerge

• View Profile
Is there a list of known issues in this hack to consult so that I don't post already reported bugs?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile

I have watched your archive all the way through Mato; what poor luck you had, I seem to run into the dragon and get nearly killed, or killed, by that dragon on my way to Mist Cave. I get at least a Thief Knife or two before ending the Dark Knight portion of the game just by progressing. I have only ever gotten the Chemist Ring once so I hope that making it available through Power Stones and Catalysts will make them more useful.

As I mentioned I will throw in a unique line when using Dragon Speak on the Mist Dragon.

Also I should mention Do Not Use the Catalyst on the World Map! The event is still set to Sight's old event (it's likely the Catalyst will do something different on the World Map before all is said and done). And there are only a limited amount of Catalysts in the game.

I was off at a friend's house on this lull from work and school these past two days. Had I been here I would have definitely watched your stream. (at least as well as my internet can handle streaming).

Is there a list of known issues in this hack to consult so that I don't post already reported bugs?

There are no listings like that unfortunately, but I can list a few...

When a spell misses from a Weapon Cast the spell animation is thrown at whatever enemy is set to First Enemy, it is for all intents a Miss though. Since that is in graphics I can't think of a fix.

There is also the inability to keep track of Stat changes when you change Weapons in battle, this can be a beneficial fix to the player if they're getting rid of an Armor Break or Power Break that happened to them, but it can also be detrimental if you've already invested a lot of Bardsong Atk Power into a weapon and you decide to change it. So it's a give-and-take situation.

I have no remedy for this glitch.

Rosa will punch with her fists when she's down to her last arrow (something about proper decrementation and the game reads it as 0 Arrows = Fists) But that's just a graphical error it doesn't cause any other glitches. There might be a fix, but I know nothing about Weapon Graphics documentation despite my searches for them.

I *think* that is all of them (and the Mythril Armor bit on the Big Chocobo, how silly of me not to get rid of that)

But please, tell me anything you can find and I will get to the bottom of it as fast as I can...

And with that here is v0.17 this patches fixes three bugs. The first is the Raven will no longer be considered a Beast-type as it has immunity to KO and created a glitch where you could continue to Hunt the Raven. The second fix is to Advance. Advance previously took Cid's Attack power and then gave it to the character in the first slot and then took his defense and subtracted that from his attack power and gave that defense to the character in the first slot.

Now it properly takes Cid's Attack Power and gives it to Cid and reduces his Defense and gives it to Cid. In addition you can now use Coat Weapon after using Advance, but you cannot use Advance after having used it once (as was the intended behavior). This glitch appeared because of a plan change on my part. Advance was originally Cecil's 4th Command before it became Bardsong, not 2nd as it is in Cid's Commands and the routine turns the 4th command into Parry for the rest of the fight.

Valvalis no longer freezes the game when you hit her in her Tornado form with anything else but Jump (poor choice of a reaction script. The script has been fully altered.)

Thanks to DracoSerge for the notifications on these glitches!

The third glitch fix is "Obtained Mythril Armor" message from the Big Chocobo as the Big Chocobo spots will no longer exist as any event because you can buy a Whistle for only 10 GP.

Also some text has been changed around. There is a hint towards the Green Dragon in the Mist Cave in Baron and a few new help messages in Baron and also the tutorial text is cleaned up and a little better clarified (Some have been completely rewritten and a tip added for the Twins' one new ability.)

Also since Mato made a very good point about Dragon Speak being... y'know thoughtfully useful in the first portion. I threw in a conditional that looks for Dragon Speak on the Mist Dragon.

And here is v0.17 and this is fully compatible with 0.16 as nothing major (like flags!) have been switched around.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Remember that some people like to rename Kain, so you might want to trim that message down, Grimoire LD. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.