News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (0.19) (88% Complete)  (Read 83559 times)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
I think I looked into it once, and there's a lot of free space available for more location palettes to be added. If you want to add a new palette in, I can brobably zero in again on where those are stored. The field, trees and water look good, but yeah, those pots and bridges look a little strange. Once we find the locations of the palettes, they're easily changed with SNESPal.

December 13, 2014, 11:11:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
OK, it turns out map palettes are a bit more complicated than I originally thought.

I have to do this quickly, because I have to get ready for work, but here are my notes:

Map palettes begin at A5E90.
Each "map palette" uses 8 actual palettes (16 bytes per palette)

Baron Town uses "map palette" 04, which, when applied to the town tileset, breaks down like this:
TOWN TILESET (USING PALETTE 04):
PALETTE 1 (GRASS, TREES): A6010
PALETTE 2 (BUILDINGS, NOT INCL. DOORS, SHOP SIGNS): A6020
PALETTE 3 (DOORS, SHOP SIGNS, POTS, CITY WALLS): A6030
PALETTE 4 (WATER): A6040
PALETTE 5 (CITY WALL WINDOWS, WELLS): A6050
PALETTE 6 (PAVED GROUND, BRIDGES): A6060
PALETTE 7 (SHINGLED ROOFS): A6070

There are three completely unused (blank by default) "Map Palettes":
Map Palette   Offset of first palette (ROM w/o Header)
--      -----
1B      A6B90
1C      A6C10
1D      A6C90

If you open your ROM in SNESPal and jump to one of these offsets, you can create custom palettes for the Town tileset by referencing the above.

Sorry this is so short. I can clarify later if you need.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:11:33 am by chillyfeez »
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Grimoire LD, I mean no disrespect, but I'm watching Tomato's streams of Combat Boost and they seem really put off by the eidolons vs. espers inconsistency. I know you've noticed this already and have probably changed it, but as the script writer, I feel the need to put this out there and ask: would it be any trouble at all to change it to be consistently "esper"? Thank you, I'm sorry if this seems too forward.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Wow, really Chillyfeez? I had no idea! That actually expands things quite a bit, as I've always said graphic have never been my forte, but I should be able to make something work here.

Indeed Gedankenschild a lot of yellow and blue color palettes for the later parts of The After Years at their decent attempt at elemental areas.

Grimoire LD, I mean no disrespect, but I'm watching Tomato's streams of Combat Boost and they seem really put off by the eidolons vs. espers inconsistency. I know you've noticed this already and have probably changed it, but as the script writer, I feel the need to put this out there and ask: would it be any trouble at all to change it to be consistently "esper"? Thank you, I'm sorry if this seems too forward.

Ahem...

First: I always preferred Eidolon to Esper, but I forgot that Esper is what Vivify93 used in his initial Project II, so that oversight will be remedied.

It's been dealt with and has been, pretty much a day after the videos went live.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Yeah, I had no idea there were so many palettes used in each map. It really opens up worlds (figuratively and literally, I guess).

Have you ever used SNESPal before?
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/32/

As long as you know the location in ROM where the palettes are, it makes custom palette editing very easy.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Yeah, I had no idea there were so many palettes used in each map. It really opens up worlds (figuratively and literally, I guess).

Have you ever used SNESPal before?
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/32/

As long as you know the location in ROM where the palettes are, it makes custom palette editing very easy.

I have not used SNESPal before, but the way it is setup looks rather intuitive, colors at certain offsets can be changed to effect the palette in-game.

Well, since there are some palettes that simply aren't used, I thought to take a scope and see if there are any "filled" palettes that are unused.

(in decimal because I'm using FF4kster)

Airships - 0

Cave Magnes - 2

All Overworld Castles - 3

Basic Town - 4
Basic Forests - 4

Basic Indoors - 5

Castle Indoors - 6
Room of Wishes - 6

Mt. Ordeals Mirror Room - 7
Crystal Rooms - 7

Lunar Whale - 8
Dwarf Tank - 8

Cave of Summons - 9
Land of Summon Monsters - 9

Towers - 10

Giant - 11

All Other Moon Locations - 12

Mountains - 13

Baron Sewer - 14
Watery Pass -  14
Misty Cave - 14

Sylvan Cave - 15

Antlion Cave -16
Adamant Grotto - 16

Cave Eblan - 17

Sealed Cave - 18

Smithy's House - 19
Tomra - 19

Lunar Palace - 20

Dwarf Castle - 21

Cave Eblan hideout - 22

Inside Castle - 23

Agart - 24 (Brighter Ground, Red Roofs)
Silvera - 25 - (Blue Roofs)

Indoors (Underworld) - 26

Airship in underworld - 30

Looks like they used every palette they could except for 1, 31, and 32 and, as you mentioned they didn't even think of any map palettes for 27-29.

I imagine then that in a Map Palette you would then be pointing to the desired palette?

December 13, 2014, 07:40:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Luckily for me I'm currently using Map 2's Palette which is only used by the Cave of Magnes, so I'll just move that to the Sealed Cave's palette (because they look so similar.)

And done! Thank you very much Chillyfeez, due to your findings I've managed to give the place a very suitable palette indeed. Pots, buildings, and even the sides of the raised land look completely natural!

My only thought was that the original water may have looked... well "colder" I thought the ice blue would have made it seem chillier but I'm wondering if its too distracting and if the dark black water fit better with the place being near colorless. Also do the buildings now look too bright? They were copied off of the basic Town tileset obviously.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:40:57 pm by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
I like it!
I think the water is a "keep as-is" in my book.
If the buildings were a more grayish color, it might help contribute to the cold and lifeless ambiance, but I think you can get away with leaving it.
If you wanna quickly test out some changes in-game, the building palette is loaded into RAM at 00:0D1B. You can fiddle with the numbers there and see the changes instantly.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I like it!
I think the water is a "keep as-is" in my book.
If the buildings were a more grayish color, it might help contribute to the cold and lifeless ambiance, but I think you can get away with leaving it.
If you wanna quickly test out some changes in-game, the building palette is loaded into RAM at 00:0D1B. You can fiddle with the numbers there and see the changes instantly.

Now that is some useful information! And altered. Yes, it is not as bright and due to the palette used it looks more worn down and the bluish splotches around it makes it seem as if it could be covered in ice (Now if I only had snow, or an actually snowy battle background this would be next to perfect!) I'm rather proud of myself with this area, I managed to create a mid-boss out of what is a normal enemy in the area (by the use of Formation AI Triggers) and I even made the way to the end goal a two stage process, so even if you know the way, you're still going to need something else to proceed to fight the boss.

Thank you for all of your help Chillyfeez! I certainly wouldn't have even considered going this far without your encouragement, advice, and plain old fantastic information you've supplied me.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Sure thing. I'm excited to see the final product in action.

(Now if I only had snow, or an actually snowy battle background this would be next to perfect!)
Damn you, now I'm thinking about this...
Referencing this conversation between Phoenix and some guy you might recognize, it seems the game does have the ability to palette-swap battle backgrounds (more observant people have probably noticed this. I can't say as I ever had).
Now, in order to apply this practically, we'd have to:
1) locate battle BG palettes
2) trace the "use alternate palette if available" bit through the code that determines if an alternate is available...
   a) figure out how to change which backgrounds are available for palette swapping
   b) decide which palette swap can be done-without (water background? I don't really see a need for this to exist in two different palettes)

From there, it should be relatively simple to get you your Ever white forest battle BG.

... I can't think of a good way to get snow, though.

Latest Demo

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
It's been dealt with and has been, pretty much a day after the videos went live.
Alright, thank you! :) Sorry I missed that. I just kinda panicked because someone was really upset with it.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Sure thing. I'm excited to see the final product in action.
Damn you, now I'm thinking about this...
Referencing this conversation between Phoenix and some guy you might recognize, it seems the game does have the ability to palette-swap battle backgrounds (more observant people have probably noticed this. I can't say as I ever had).
Now, in order to apply this practically, we'd have to:
1) locate battle BG palettes
2) trace the "use alternate palette if available" bit through the code that determines if an alternate is available...
   a) figure out how to change which backgrounds are available for palette swapping
   b) decide which palette swap can be done-without (water background? I don't really see a need for this to exist in two different palettes)

From there, it should be relatively simple to get you your Ever white forest battle BG.

... I can't think of a good way to get snow, though.

Hah, I always thought that the alternate palette deal was hard-coded... well, that clears up the "Mystery Byte" in FF4kster's Map Data editor.

Well, I'll be out for a couple of days, but I'll get back to this on Monday night.

EDIT:
Actually, looks like I got out of work a bit earlier than I expected so I have some time to play around...

So it turns out that the Caves alternate palette is used in Eblan Cave, I suppose because the Eblan Caves itself is a darker palette, that is ditto for the extra water palette as well.

The second Caves alternate palette is used by the Sealed Cave

Sylph Cave is an alternate Palette of Summon Monsters Path

Tower of Babil is an alternate Palette of Tower of Zot.

Do any of these really make that much of a difference? I'd say the biggest pronounced change is Sylph Cave and Summon Monsters Path and that's one that shouldn't be touched. All the rest seem fairly similar to their default one other than "it's dark" or "it's a little redder".

Now let's see how they actually are called...

December 14, 2014, 03:35:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh do I have some good news! It turns out that each battle background is capable of an alternate palette! Bizarrely enough the instructions which make this happen are right next to a clump of data which is looked at depending on the field starting at LoRom - 03F7BC and in ROM at 1F7BC. The data is as follows..

16 (Field)
00 (Forest) 
00 (Mountain)
00 (Castle)
11 (Cave)
00 (Moon)
00 (Ship)
12 (Water)
14 (Magnes/Sealed Cave)
00 (Desert)
00 (Beach)
13 (Land of Monsters/Sylph)
15 (Tower of Zot/Babil)
00 (Lunar Subterrane)
00 (Crystal Room)
00 (Underground)

What these palettes reference though, or where they're being pulled from might take a little bit of extra research though.

And I think I may have found a good palette!

This is wonderful news, each battle background can have an alternate palette and all you need to do to activate it is to toggle the mystery byte in FF4kster! Good on you, FFIV Programmers!

EDIT: The default alternate palettes are actually right after the normal battle background palettes, but I don't know where those are located in the first place, I'm sure someone else would though. Odds are if they included enough space for each background to have extra palettes they may have included enough space for each background to support an extra palette.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:43:51 pm by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Awesome finds, Grimoire!
And that palette looks completely appropriate, too.

Latest Demo

Recklessly Impressionable

• View Profile
Hey Grimoire, it's nice to see that you're still working on this, i finally got around to starting last night. I just got to Tellah and everything so far seems quite good; the desert battles appear to be about the lvl of difficulty of the DS version, except Cecils' new technique makes them go by quite fast and makes gaining xp a breeze.

And I think I may have found a good palette!

That color composition looks superb

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
To be honest, the colors really don't work together.  I don't think they're expressing the idea you're going for.

You're aiming for a snowyish (Maybe almost Winter-esque?) palette, right?  I don't know how the editor works or if it'll let you add a new palette swatch (If not, you might have to use ASM to make a new pointer and such).  Right now, the tree leaves aren't bad, but the trunks are absolutely blinding and the base of the trees contrast so hard against the ground that it actually makes everything feel off.

The ground doesn't give of the impression of any kind of snow or 'cold', it's too high in contrast and is too noisy.  Look at images of snowy fields and landscapes, they're all very light with a combination of whites and light blues.  Doing this will help make it easier on the eyes while also portraying a more 'snowy' idea.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Thanks Chillyfeez! It looks appropriate, and as Justin points out it could be better, I feel my response below his quote rounds up my thoughts on the matter. Glad to see you are giving it a try Recklessly Impressionable! Please tell me of your detailed thoughts on enemy changes and overall gameplay, due to the comments from Chillyfeez and Tomato I think i've made the game just a little more accessible.

To be honest, the colors really don't work together.  I don't think they're expressing the idea you're going for.

You're aiming for a snowyish (Maybe almost Winter-esque?) palette, right?  I don't know how the editor works or if it'll let you add a new palette swatch (If not, you might have to use ASM to make a new pointer and such).  Right now, the tree leaves aren't bad, but the trunks are absolutely blinding and the base of the trees contrast so hard against the ground that it actually makes everything feel off.

The ground doesn't give of the impression of any kind of snow or 'cold', it's too high in contrast and is too noisy.  Look at images of snowy fields and landscapes, they're all very light with a combination of whites and light blues.  Doing this will help make it easier on the eyes while also portraying a more 'snowy' idea.

I thank you for the comment, but honestly graphics are not that important to me, I will use what tools I have available to create decent looking palettes but I am no artist and have no artist's hand in any of this. I'm just glad I managed to use a palette (the same palette used by mountains by the way) that even remotely reflected the area in which it is to be used. Should someone with a more discerning eye would like to come along down the line and fix the graphics to make them more pleasing to the eye, I would welcome this, but for now there are more important things in this hack to consider before I worry about those matters.

December 17, 2014, 01:24:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, since I had a little extra time, I went through the basic battle background palettes to see if there wasn't one more fitting of snow rather than the "gray grass" (which does exist, but implies that the grass is diseased. But I did find something more akin to snow which fits the area better (It's Everwhite Woods after all, not dead grass woods, heh)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:24:27 pm by Grimoire LD »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
That is SO much better!  Great find on that new palette!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Recklessly Impressionable

• View Profile
I like the old color pallet better by far, the tree's have a more vibrant and surreal vibe to them.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
A fairly crucial update. Due to an upgrade to FF4kster I have finally managed to make the Sword Skills do some real damage though perhaps too much damage in reality. Because of this the Sword Skills will now have an actual Accuracy stat (before it didn't but the wacky "Is it a non-damage spell?" bit really made that difficult to tell). Anyone who has played through so far would say that the Break Skills are a nice idea, but ultimately worthless, well this aims to change that to what it was originally intended. A Sword Strike of moderate power, this also now has a charge time due to its fairly high damage output.

Though one change from how it was originally, the chosen skill can still hit, even if its special effect is no longer effective. For instance say you use Armor Break twice and now the enemy only has 1 Defense, you can keep on using Armor Break, but it won't actually effect defense any longer.

It can now also properly hit bosses. Before it could, but it seemed ridiculously rare for it to actually occur.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Is the update linked to the first post in this thread?

December 20, 2014, 08:46:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry I haven't had more feedback for you lately. I've been playing around with hacking quite a bit as you know.
I've been grinding outside of Eblan in order to beat those treasure battles.
Also, have you officially released a beta that includes the Everwhite Woods? I'm sure it will kick my ass  ;) but I'm looking forward to trying it out anyway.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
It is not yet, Chillyfeez. I'm still working on finalizing the AI for the boss and midboss of the area, the events themselves are completely done, but I just need to get to the AI portions now. Since you have an already saved file though you won't be able to get the treasures lying around, but I'll just tell you what they are and you can hack them into your inventory (there is some really good stuff in there) when you reach them.

Also Treasure has been added to the Serpent Road to make exploration serve a bit of purpose (If you'd like to run back and get those, let me know and I'll tell you what they are so you can also hack them into your inventory)

I should hopefully have another update sometime today or tomorrow.

December 23, 2014, 01:08:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And here is the next update! The biggest draw of this update will no doubt be the brand new bonus dungeon! This can be accessed as soon as you get the Airship and there are some NPC's which hint at its location throughout the game, so as always, pay attention to what the people have to say, just because one person says "Welcome to Kaipo!" doesn't mean someone else won't have something of interest in regards to the hack.

There are some caveats though that some may be unaware of... treasures are recorded in game by a dynamic set of bits and in a specific order. Because of this if you picked up the new treasure's indexes from elsewhere you won't be able to get them in that same save file, as the game will think you've already picked them up, but if that happens just let me know and I'll tell you what should be in it and I imagine that since this is still a beta, that the audience is mostly hackers so they can hack the items into their inventory.

Of other great note is the way that Break Skills have worked is now completely changed. Before this patch they were an instant cast attack which had a good chance of missing and dealing poor damage to foes while decreasing stats. Now they are a charged Weapon Attack which normally deals greater damage than your normal attack with a good chance to hit an enemy while decreasing their stats.

In addition there are now four chests in the Serpent Road, but like with the bonus dungeon, these chest indexes will likely be collected in a decently progressed file.
Much of this patch's preparation has been in regards to the new dungeon and that required extensive testing.

Now the new NPC's in the bonus dungeon are older NPC's that have been repurposed and will have been deactivated in any file past Mist Village. To activate them (and actually do the new challenge dungeon) you will need to do a little hacking...

At 7E:12E0 you will want to add 30 to the value at 7E:12E5 to activate the new NPC's which had been deactivated long prior to this.

I realize those are lots of caveats, but with this fairly difficult NPC and treasure system I have no choice but to use these fairly cheap methods for those who are continuing the hack.

With all that aside do enjoy! For those who are starting fresh, please let me know if you do reach the new dungeon or the Serpent Road to see if the treasures are attained properly.

Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! v0.10

(And just in time for Christmas too!)

December 26, 2014, 08:59:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Major Fix!!

Through another test playthrough  I realized that I gave OctoMamm the incorrect battle script and was using a script that wasn't meant to be seen for a Long time and was nigh unbeatable.

This patch also adds Enemy Criticals, Rebalanced Poison, Rebalanaced Petrify, and a new weapon that can be acquired in the Serpent Road. I will go into more detail when this update releases proper, we're not quite there yet, but I wanted to get this out ASAP when I realized that blunder I had made with OctoMamm!

Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! v0.13
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:06:31 pm by Grimoire LD »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Here is the next update to FFIV:Combat Boost!

This version does a bit of rebalancing of certain bosses, changes a couple of item sets and adds two new items, the CobraUrn which causes decent damage and deals poison to all foes and HypnoBag which deals good damage and puts all foes to Sleep, these are in place of the more powerful stopwatches. In addition the power of the StopTrap has been brought down to 10 ticks, (the same as the normal Stop Spell) instead of the ludicrous 50 ticks.

In addition the Healing Staff has been replaced with the Serpent Staff which can inflict Poison.

Tonics and Potions have had their powers lowered from the original patch (it was too much) and the Cure spells have had their power increased and thus have also had their MP increased. Also of note Level 1 and 2 spells have had an increase in power, making those early Spirits much more than pests but allowing the Mages to more effectively use their spells.

Gale now no longer will deal 1000's of damage when it hits you, but is still a very powerful spell to watch out for.

Poison and Gradual Petrify have had their timers change to occur more often. Poison looks at an ally's "Steal/Status Defense" and for enemies it looks at their Speed Modifier and for both add 4 to the timer (Instead of 14 like originally!) now but to compensate Poison only deals 1/8 of your Current HP rather than Max HP.

Gradual Petrify now uses the timer of Sleep and Paralysis, meaning that it will take three rounds of three rounds of Sleep/Paralysis to turn the player completely to stone.

This will be one of the last updates for the Overworld section, the next update may include further use for the Power Stones you may have found (you can sort of see what I plan in Baron.) Since currently they are used to make more Katana's but I'm not sure if they will have that purpose later on. I may plan something else down the line to increase its use to extend post Katana copies.

But once that is done (barring glitches that I didn't notice) that will be it for the Overworld and the next update will be a bit of time coming since I would at least want to complete the Tower of Babil before another update.

Final Fantasy IV:Combat Boost! v0.15

And here is an updated Readme...

Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost Readme
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:42:17 pm by Grimoire LD »