*waves magic wand*
There's nothing special about the text, the tile values are the exact same as what's in VRAM. All you need to find it is a VRAM viewer.
That got me closer! I noticed the block of text above the value you sent was MOSTLY all of it, but for some reason pieces are missing. And there are no spaces between any of the words like there are in the emulation. Like it should say "utsukushii kuni (うつくしい くに)" but instead says "utsukui（うつくい）" without any spaces or a "shi（し）" and "kuni（くに）." Am I running into some weird pointer issues where parts of it are being called from somewhere else?
May 15, 2014, 06:38:32 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
...and I've answered my own question.
I changed some of the values just to see if that was the text in question, and it was. Unfortunately, in order to save space, they decided to encode it to reuse tiles that had already been used. So every instance of a "yu" was replaced with my swapped character of "Y," every "ta" turned into a "T," and so on. What a mess.
I encountered this elsewhere in the game, and it's super frustrating. I think this one may be out of my league. It sounds like I'd have to code in the intro in (what I would assume to be) an empty part of the rom and use pointers to redirect the game to that section and then back again.