News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)  (Read 194343 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)
« Reply #340 on: April 07, 2014, 12:31:37 pm »
I came back, and I bring some bad news. Since nobody cared about helping me with the translation, I decided to abandon this project. That's right, I give up. Although I'm too stubborn, I admit it's too much for my level. If anyone's interested in carrying on with this project, just PM me and I'll send you all of my files. And of course, you can do whatever you want with them.

Green Goblin is working on a similar project (a port of DLPB's translation), but he told me it was too difficult for him too. I'm not sure if he'll make it.

Sounds like we need to get a team set up...

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #341 on: April 07, 2014, 01:56:31 pm »
However there are some files that need to be translated and no tool is created for that purpose (chocobo.bin, battle.x, the menu texts, world.bin and the final credits).
How did you translate all these files? Using a Hex editor maybe? I know that it is possible to translate these files with an hex editor, but I don't know if I need to take care of any pointers.
Yes, I used a simple hex editor to edit them all. Do you already have the table files? If not, you can find them inside Hack7's data folder. And I'm afraid you'll have to know about pointer hacking, at least for the world.bin. Maybe Atlas can take care of it?

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 07, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »
Ok, I already have the "kernel.bin" file ready.

Now I'm trying to use the "scene.bin" file from DLPB, which is exactly the same in PC & PSX version, but for some reason the PC version is bigger so I'll have to do something about it.

Yes I already have the table.

We will see what can be done with the other files (chocobo.bin, menu files, world.bin). The tool Cebix published can deal with them but I would need some instructions to use them, it looks like it's based on python commands or something like that  :huh:

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #343 on: April 07, 2014, 03:06:33 pm »
Now I'm trying to use the "scene.bin" file from DLPB, which is exactly the same in PC & PSX version, but for some reason the PC version is bigger so I'll have to do something about it.
Mine got bigger after I added a few texts to a certain scene (can't remember the number), but it remained unchanged when I edited the others. His is probably bigger because of that. He used ProudClod too, right?

We will see what can be done with the other files (chocobo.bin, menu files, world.bin). The tool Cebix published can deal with them but I would need some instructions to use them, it looks like it's based on python commands or something like that  :huh:
Hm. I'm afraid I can't help much on this one. But the .mnu files are easy to edit. They're not compressed, so you can see the texts.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »
Original PSX file (scene.bin) is 270.336 bytes (0x42000)
DLPB file (scene.bin) is 278.528 bytes (0x44000)

Yes I think he used ProudCloud, and me too. I asked the author of ProudClod about this little issue, let's wait for his answer.
Meanwhile please try to remember which scenes caused the increase in size.

PD_1: I fixed the "scene.bin" problem. I simply deleted a couple of unused scenes (238 & 249) and I've got the correct size (270.336 bytes). Please try to confirm if these scenes are unused in the game, it looks like so but if you can confirm it that would be great.

PD_2: There is a patch made by "Bosola" that allows us to insert big "scene" and "kernel" files without problems: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11541.msg159540#msg159540

PD_3: Finally I insalled Cebix's tools on my Ubuntu (using VirtualBox). I have not tried yet the "untrans" command, but at least I installed everything.

elgarta

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »
Quote from: Green_goblin
PD_2: There is a patch made by "Bosola" that allows us to insert big "scene" and "kernel" files without problems: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11541.msg159540#msg159540

I was about to refer you to this. I am currently working on a small modification of Ff7 psx (restoration of some scenes from the original JPN release + porting The PC re translation work) and this was the only part I had problems with. About 75% done and I've only needed his fix, Makou Reactor and Wall Market. So far tests on my PS3 have worked so it seems compatible on original (modded) hardware too, but I will do a full run through once everything is done.

IF you have problems at all I am happy to assist where I can, although I am no "pro" at this, learning the ropes but just found a flow that works for me.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 22, 2014, 12:10:05 pm »
I was about to refer you to this. I am currently working on a small modification of Ff7 psx (restoration of some scenes from the original JPN release + porting The PC re translation work) and this was the only part I had problems with. About 75% done and I've only needed his fix, Makou Reactor and Wall Market. So far tests on my PS3 have worked so it seems compatible on original (modded) hardware too, but I will do a full run through once everything is done.

IF you have problems at all I am happy to assist where I can, although I am no "pro" at this, learning the ropes but just found a flow that works for me.

Does the PS3 use some kind of software emulation? I've been told that Makou Reactor doesn't handle very well memory alignments, hence the game will not work in a physical PSX or PS-One, but it works ok in emulators.

I am also interested in porting DLPB (R01) translation into the PSX game since I cannot install his mod, but I'm waiting for the new realease (R02) since it's supposed to fix some issues.

Can you show us some screenshots of those Japanese missing screens?

Regards

elgarta

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2014, 12:40:22 pm »
It does use a form of software emulation, but it's different than PC emulators. I will occasionally have hard in-game freezes on my PS3 due to a bad script I implemented, but it will ignore the errors on an emulator for some reason and keep playing, except when memory issues occurred and it would just hang.  I found problems when I edited and then saved an ISO directly in Makou Reactor, but if I export the field after editing I am yet to run into memory alignment issues.

I will be getting my modded PS2 back in a few days, I intend to check a copy of the mod on that too for comparison with my PS3.

There are some videos done online of the removed scenes, one guy has just fixed them up and posts them on his blog. The only grey area with his work is that a translator that is also MIA did the translation work, so getting her permission to use her translation work might be difficult, but he seems happy to share notes and work as long as he is credited. I am at the garage waiting on my car to be repaired but I can get links when I am back at home. Most of the post-Midgard stuff is "meh" but the stuff in Midgar is interesting. Also, Honeybee Inn has been restored but I just need to clean up some text and scripts. It's interesting to work on though, but fixing one particular script outside Honeybee Inn and one I added in the Shinra tower are headaches. But I think I can fix them...

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #348 on: April 23, 2014, 10:40:17 am »
- This topic has been closed at the request of the TC. -