News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Romhacking Nightmares  (Read 1406 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Romhacking Nightmares
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:56:56 pm »
Your basic guide to hex editing:

1. Edit.
2. Test. Did you edit it correctly?
3. No you didn't, do it again.

Repeat until finished.

Got any romhacking horror stories to tell? Tell 'em here!

(Musical accompaniment)
Yamero~~!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: Romhacking Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »
I think my greatest amount of "What were they thinking?!" came while I was working on FFIV. FFIV while an incredible game is unfortunately limited in some really stupid ways. Let me give you an example...

If you try to change an enemy's statistic while Not using a Spell, the game does not except this. Do you know why this might be? Its because the game has not a single bit of Active Targeting when you use a Command, only for a spell. The way this works is that the changes done to the mirror data are not carried over to the normal data unless it is a spell which initiates it and the initial targeting data which placed the data into the mirror data is overwritten with other necessary information. This means that you cannot reliably change the targeting to an enemy if you are using a command this additionally means that you can only "all or nothing" enemies. Which is why Cry targets all foes, no matter the actual targeting says the routine overwrites it by going down the list of all eight foes. Most other commands that hit enemies have that same specialty put in like Kick and Dark Wave.

So it does limit what one can do with commands if you don't also plan on using a spell slot (and possibly routine) in doing so.