News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Question related to ZSNES / HEX / Binary / Hex Editors / Zamn for snes  (Read 3871 times)

memphis_212

• View Profile
Ok first allow me to explain in a nut shell. Me and bro like playing zombies ate my neighbors but bro isnt up to par with his gaming skills. So ive decided to hack codes using ZSNES then edit the rom using a hex editor and give us...

Unlimited Watergun 999
7 live start instead of 3

both for p1 and p2...

Now here is my problem.. using search for p1 watergun I have gotten

Address          CV       PV
7e1ccc             99       29
7e1ccd             09       03

CV is the current set value and PV was the previous value.

My problem is I understand what I need to kind of do, but cannot get a straight answer from google on this. I need to find this address using my hex editor (HxD).

Im clueless as to what to search for using the editor, if I need to translate this address, on another note someone said I could (and this way was basically for morons) but to enter new codes going up on and record their PV to search for the PV string? (if explained right just now?)

Just really need some help on this should be easy topic. I know what to do if its explained but cant find a good guide on how to's.

Basically all I find are guides like ....  Here's a complicated as hell guide for idiots to do it easy but no real info.

Like this and give me room this may get confusing. ....  If I search for a PV code lets say the water pistol original pv was 50 on one line .... if i changed it in game picked up some and it changed the pv readout ... would the original rom pv be different from the output pv recorded ...

get me?

plz help and excuse typos im too lay-z to fyx

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: Question related to ZSNES / HEX / Binary / Hex Editors / Zamn for snes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:27:02 am »
plz help and excuse typos im too lay-z to fyx
Ahhhh, the perfect time to use this quote:
"If you're too lazy to type properly, I'm too lazy to help you."

I know the original quote is "If you're too lazy to type full words, then I'll just say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'." but whatever. :thumbsup:

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:36:26 am »
I hear that with Classic Cheat Code Game Patcher
you can make a trainer for games based in codes,
http://www.kodewerx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3478

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:06:23 am »
What you have there is actually a cheat. These are usually calculated with a special cheat search in the emus themselves. What a cheat does, is that it overwrites the RAM. You can not find this address in a hex editor, since you are viewing the ROM there.

You also can not "convert" the Ram address into the Rom address (SNES or PC address for that matter).

It only way to do this is to trace the code on the spot, where the Ram-overwrite steps into the effect. The tracing is actually the first step of Asm modding. Looking at the tracers log, it should be clear where the code is read and where the pointer to that code is. Or in other words, this gives you the rom snes address, which can then be converted into the rom pc address; and that's what the hex editor is displaying.

I've seen this done for Alttp menu items, which you can get by entering cheats (overwriting the ram). The rom addresses for them, as well as the values were completely different.

You will need people with asm/tracing skills to pull this off.

memphis_212

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:06:17 am »
Ahhhh, the perfect time to use this quote:
"If you're too lazy to type properly, I'm too lazy to help you."

I know the original quote is "If you're too lazy to type full words, then I'll just say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'." but whatever. :thumbsup:

I believe even with my typo's my answer was explained clear enough to help someone. Not gonna go into to much of a flame here and just gonna say if your too lazy to help.... you might as well not even post my thread being a troll because that is the real "short" answer....

What you have there is actually a cheat. These are usually calculated with a special cheat search in the emus themselves. What a cheat does, is that it overwrites the RAM. You can not find this address in a hex editor, since you are viewing the ROM there.

You also can not "convert" the Ram address into the Rom address (SNES or PC address for that matter).

It only way to do this is to trace the code on the spot, where the Ram-overwrite steps into the effect. The tracing is actually the first step of Asm modding. Looking at the tracers log, it should be clear where the code is read and where the pointer to that code is. Or in other words, this gives you the rom snes address, which can then be converted into the rom pc address; and that's what the hex editor is displaying.

I've seen this done for Alttp menu items, which you can get by entering cheats (overwriting the ram). The rom addresses for them, as well as the values were completely different.

You will need people with asm/tracing skills to pull this off.

Ok so my engine searches RAM and can't clearly find the address in the ROM. BAH! Was hoping it was somehow related together and math could find the real ROM address.

So I just need to know the utilities I will need and can read documentation/guides to learn to use them. If you could point me in that direction I will learn on my own, only asking questions when I understand the basics. (if this can be answered easily.)

Otherwise just tell me that it's too complicated to explain, and I will be smart since you probably know alot more than I do and say thanks anyway! :D

Thanks to those who truly help I do appreciate it very very much.

EDIT:
I hear that with Classic Cheat Code Game Patcher
you can make a trainer for games based in codes,
http://www.kodewerx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3478

Missed this will read and see if this can help me in some way.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:50:10 pm »
The main problem with the "I won't fix my typos, you can understand anyway", apart from being a rude behaviour, is that non-english speaking contributors (and there are many here) will have difficulties in understanding.

Personnally, English is not my native tongue, understanding clearly stated thread isn't always easy, but when it comes to slang, colloquial language, abbreviations, it costs me a lot to understand what it's about.

It's true your original post remains understandable though, but you'll understand that the "Yes, I made typos and I don't care" is not "cool" (or whatever the word that has replaced "cool" since the 80's is now  :laugh:).

memphis_212

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:58:31 pm »
The main problem with the "I won't fix my typos, you can understand anyway", apart from being a rude behaviour, is that non-english speaking contributors (and there are many here) will have difficulties in understanding.

Personnally, English is not my native tongue, understanding clearly stated thread isn't always easy, but when it comes to slang, colloquial language, abbreviations, it costs me a lot to understand what it's about.

It's true your original post remains understandable though, but you'll understand that the "Yes, I made typos and I don't care" is not "cool" (or whatever the word that has replaced "cool" since the 80's is now  :laugh:).

Understood, and thank you for the explanation. My original explanation wasn't intended to be rude and I can understand how it can be taken as a rude statement in a "lost in translation moment". 

I will try to clearly state things from now on to abolish the misunderstandings in the future.

That being said if anyone wants to point me in the right direction on utility's I will need to find some simple ROM addresses in an SNES .smc file I would be grateful.

Thanks for the help and reply's

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 05:17:14 pm »
Geigers debugger. A must have thing here.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/241/

But you must be talented for tracing (ram) and asm. I'm not, for instance. I'm more a hex (rom), gfx, level design person.

memphis_212

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:04 pm »
Geigers debugger. A must have thing here.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/241/

But you must be talented for tracing (ram) and asm. I'm not, for instance. I'm more a hex (rom), gfx, level design person.
Thank you for your help!

Now I will read read read and read some more, I don't expect everyone here to do all the work for a noob like me. (Like I imagine most do.)

Thanks
Thanks
Thanks

#include <iostream>
int main()
{
std::cout << "Thanks Alot COOL POSTER" << std::endl;
return 0;
}