News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 3 Spanish translation [Released]  (Read 55548 times)

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Romancing Saga 3 Spanish translation [Released]
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 09:13:17 pm »
I don't really see the point in continuing to try to get magno to release his tools. He's made it clear that he's not comfortable releasing his tools for a variety of reasons with the kicker being that they're specifically tailored to the Spanish release and the game would need to be hacked and customized to whatever the language the game is translated into.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:26 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:34:37 am by creeperton »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:48 am »
For those who want to take a look to the ASM code, it was released a couple of years ago:

http://biolab.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93

I don't know if I'm right, but I think those files were posted in byuu's forum too.

About the tools, if anybody wants to start a translation, I'll be willing to send them; if not, I can't see the point in doing it.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:32:34 am by creeperton »

traumafox

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2014, 08:39:08 pm »
J2E translator here. I expressed interest in translating RS2 in another thread, and it was brought to my attention that the script was already finished before being directed to this thread. If RS2 is well and truly going to see an English release, then I suppose I can redirect my efforts to a new RS3 translation, assuming such a thing is not presently being done.

I have programming experience, but not romhacking experience. I do have over a decade of experience translating as well as typesetting printed material, so I understand the importance of tailoring dialogue to fit within given boundaries (it's not enough to just take the script and translate it without consideration for how it fits). And of course, I have always been a big SaGa fan. While I can tackle the script on my own, a second set of eyes to check over my work would be handy if anyone is interested, and I'd have a few questions for magno before really digging into the project. But if everyone is eager to see RS3 given the high quality translation it deserves and no one else is stepping up to the plate, I'd be proud to make it happen.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2014, 03:24:59 am »
J2E translator here. I expressed interest in translating RS2 in another thread, and it was brought to my attention that the script was already finished before being directed to this thread. If RS2 is well and truly going to see an English release, then I suppose I can redirect my efforts to a new RS3 translation, assuming such a thing is not presently being done.

I have programming experience, but not romhacking experience. I do have over a decade of experience translating as well as typesetting printed material, so I understand the importance of tailoring dialogue to fit within given boundaries (it's not enough to just take the script and translate it without consideration for how it fits). And of course, I have always been a big SaGa fan. While I can tackle the script on my own, a second set of eyes to check over my work would be handy if anyone is interested, and I'd have a few questions for magno before really digging into the project. But if everyone is eager to see RS3 given the high quality translation it deserves and no one else is stepping up to the plate, I'd be proud to make it happen.

Thanks for your offering, traumafox. The spanish script was fully translate from japanese and I was looking for someone to do the same with the english script. Since now you can put more text on screen (because the font is narrower) and you can put a lot more text in the ROM (because it is LZH compressed), I thought there would be a good idea to do a total retranslation from japanese to english.
In fact, a guy contacted me 2 years ago and he said he would translate from japanese. He dissapeared for 1 year and got in touch with me again in the first quarter of 2014. He claimed he had finished translating and wanted my tools to insert the text, but I asked he could send the script and I'd check if everything was working properly... He never replied, he never emailed me again, so I suppose everything he said was lies.

If you are willing to translate the script from japanese, you are more than welcomed: I will provide both scripts (old english and original japanese), I'll insert in the ROM when done to check if everything is ok, and then I'll send the tools to you so you can polish and correct any error you can find in the betatesting phase.

traumafox

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2014, 07:10:37 am »
Thanks, I sent a PM.

Regarding a new translation, I want to be sure to get it right and make SaGa fans happy. I'm curious how people would feel about changing the spelling of certain character names and renaming techniques to match their English counterparts from later games in the series, or if there are certain things that should really stay the way they are. Any particular names or lines that made you think, "Oh man that should really say this instead," or were just flagrantly wrong/strange (such as the ever ominous "pok pok")? I want everyone to get their opinions and input out there all at once, because once I get started and dig into the script, there's no coming back.

Thanks to the new font and character limits, it looks like there's plenty of room for more detailed text. I tend to follow a localization philosophy, so don't worry about getting a simplistic or literal translation; this will be high quality stuff. Would it be worth making a new project thread for people to follow, or should it just stay here?

June 18, 2014, 11:34:59 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thanks to magno, I received the scripts and have started working on the new translation. Sad to say, the original English translation is loaded with many more errors than I expected. To be fair, some of the original Japanese writing is just bad to begin with, but at this rate the new translation will give everyone a story that makes far more sense.

I can't give an ETA on release, but I can say that the script should take no more than a month to finish. After that, it's all about inserting it into the game and testing it out. Remember that this December is the 25th anniversary of the SaGa series, so I'm promising the new translation will be ready in time!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:34:59 am by traumafox »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2014, 07:34:19 am »
I'm curious how people would feel about changing the spelling of certain character names and renaming techniques to match their English counterparts from later games in the series, or if there are certain things that should really stay the way they are.
It is a matter of opinion, so both solutions can be seen as reasonable. My opinion would be to not hold too much importance to consistency between different games in the series, as for me this happens to be the defining SaGa game. For character and location names I'd intuitively say that a literal translation is a good thing - but whether that makes any sense in J2E, I don't know. As for techniques, sounding appropriately cool for their function would be my intuitive choice.

wab

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »
Yesterday, I relesead the final version patch with some dialogue fixes and the busines sidequest fully edited and translated into spanish.

Something is not right with the business minigame. This only happens with the jpn->spa patch, it's ok for eng->spa. ROM is correct, I checked the hash. Here is a save state (bsnes on retroarch v1.0.0.2), in case it may be useful.

This is the only issue I noticed about 3/4 in the game. And btw, the 'Cómo utilizar el parche' section in RS3_Eng-Esp.rar's readme wasn't changed after being copied from the one in RS3_Jap-Esp.rar.

Thanks Magno for all your hard work!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:21:42 pm by wab »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2014, 07:19:00 am »
This only happens with the jpn->spa patch, it's ok for eng->spa. ROM is correct, I checked the hash. Here is a save state (bsnes on retroarch v1.0.0.2), in case it may be useful.

Ummm, sounds strange... it works for me... Which bussiness period are you in? The second and third mission could not work properly because of a bug I'll fix in the next version to release. But that's independent of JAP->ESP or ENG->ESP patch...
Besides, I couldn't open the savestate you linked because bsnes doesn't recongnize the file.

This is the only issue I noticed about 3/4 in the game. And btw, the 'Cómo utilizar el parche' section in RS3_Eng-Esp.rar's readme wasn't changed after being copied from the one in RS3_Jap-Esp.rar.

Thanks Magno for all your hard work!

Where did you get the patch? Both descriptions are different in the files you can download from my webpage:

RS3_JAP-ESP:
Para obtener el juego parcheado necesitaréis la ROM original en japonés, que ha de tener
como CRC32 (o checksum) el valor 0x6C50C2CF (valor hexadecimal) y sin ningún tipo de cabecera.
Este valor lo podéis conocer abriendo la ROM con el emulador Snes9x y en "File\Rom Information"
veréis un campo en el que dice este dato. También podéis abrir la ROM con cualquier
editor hexadecimal y pedirle que os genere el cheksum. [........]

RS3_ENG-ESP:
Para obtener el juego parcheado necesitaréis la ROM original en japonés, que ha de tener
como CRC32 (o checksum) el valor 0x42C664C2 (valor hexadecimal) y sin ningún tipo de cabecera.
Este valor lo podéis conocer abriendo la ROM con el emulador Snes9x y en "File\Rom Information"
veréis un campo en el que dice este dato. También podéis abrir la ROM con cualquier
editor hexadecimal y pedirle que os genere el cheksum.[........]

You may notice the checksums are not the same, so please download again the patch from my webpage to make sure you hadn't a corrupt one.

Thanks for reporting anyway!

wab

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2014, 11:05:54 am »
Thanks for looking at this

Ummm, sounds strange... it works for me... Which bussiness period are you in? The second and third mission could not work properly because of a bug I'll fix in the next version to release. But that's independent of JAP->ESP or ENG->ESP patch...
Besides, I couldn't open the savestate you linked because bsnes doesn't recongnize the file.
Should have uploaded a regular sram file, sorry. Here you go (first save). This is at the very start of the business game.

Quote from: magno
Both descriptions are different in the files you can download from my webpage [....] You may notice the checksums are not the same
Honestly after seeing that every other word was the same I didn't bother checking if the two hashes were different. Still, the instructions are not correct as they refer to the patched rom as the 'original japanese ROM'. I'd change it to something like
Para obtener el juego parcheado necesitaréis la ROM original en japonés (no rev) parcheada con la traducción al inglés de Mana Sword, v0.30. Esta rom parcheada ha de tener CRC32 0x42C664C2.

By the way, is there any particular reason that the jpn->spa patch is made for revision 1 of the rom, but eng->spa is for the first release?
EDIT: checked also jpn no-rev and eng-patched rev-1 and the result is the same, so eng->spa patch works fine for the business game screen on both releases and jpn->spa on neither of them. It seems the issue is then unrelated to possible changes in rev-1.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:20:34 pm by wab »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2014, 01:02:35 pm »
Thanks for looking at this
Should have uploaded a regular sram file, sorry. Here you go (first save). This is at the very start of the business game.

Ok, it indeed doesn't work in your savegame with JAP->ESP patch, but it does work with my savegame... Really weird, but I'm releasing a new patch soon anyway XD

As for the version I used for the patch, I got the most widely available ones when I started translating the game back in 2004.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2014, 01:31:59 am »
Were you ever able to get the problems worked out with the Business Game or whatever? I'm curious because that was one of my favorite parts of the game back in the day on the old trans and I hope whoever plays the Spanish trans get to fiddle around with it.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2014, 06:08:14 am »
Were you ever able to get the problems worked out with the Business Game or whatever? I'm curious because that was one of my favorite parts of the game back in the day on the old trans and I hope whoever plays the Spanish trans get to fiddle around with it.

Yes, I overcame them some months ago and I'll be playing over the game again to test the last part of the game bussiness (defeating Abyss ring). I'll be releasing the final patch in the next months.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:15 am »
Yes, I overcame them some months ago and I'll be playing over the game again to test the last part of the game bussiness (defeating Abyss ring). I'll be releasing the final patch in the next months.

Magno if you might be interested i have the Original cart with the instruction Manual + 3 guides i bought in japan. I may provide some scans and they might be useful in your translation effort or for refining parts of the scripts that are not "clear enough".

I may even scan and reinsert english text in the instructions... let me know if you are interested.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2017, 05:39:32 am »
After some months of hard work from the japanese to english translator, finally I got a partially translated script for Romancing Saga 3 and I have it inserted successfully.
The intro is translated and some in-game dialogues too.
I'll be posting some screenshots soon.

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:48 am »
Really nice! Cant wait to see the screens!

thanks

red

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:19 pm »
I would recommend to open a new thread for the English translation, just to keep a little of order  :laugh: :thumbsup:

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:48 am »
I would recommend to open a new thread for the English translation, just to keep a little of order  :laugh: :thumbsup:

Yes, you're right. As soon as I have the complete english script, I'll open a new thread with screenshots and info.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2017, 02:59:15 am »

As promised:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23611.0.html