News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

i have 3 games in mind, and i cant decide which to do 1st, so you vote :)

Super Mario World: Trapped in the Minus World (G,T,L,GP)
4 (26.7%)
Super Mario RPG 2: Smithy's Revenge (G,T,L,GP)
5 (33.3%)
Super Wario 64: Chaos at the Keep (G,T,L,GP)
2 (13.3%)
Do ALL 3 at Once! we don't wanna choose from 3 awesome ideas!
1 (6.7%)
Pick out of a hat, dont care for any of these Newbie hacks...
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 19, 2014, 03:28:38 am

Author Topic: My First Hack, which should it be?  (Read 5333 times)

UltimateGamerCC

• View Profile
My First Hack, which should it be?
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:28:38 am »
i can be rather indecisive when picking just one thing from a list, so i need the RHDN to help and share your opinion, help me choose my first hack :)

this poll will be up for 30 Days, at which time i will take the votes into consideration, if for some reason i get no feedback i will roll option 5 by default.

hope to make this the first of many polls, as i have loads of other games i plan to hack later on :)

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Re: My First Hack, which should it be?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 04:05:01 am »
SMRPG2

Just because I want another good hack of that.

UltimateGamerCC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:23:17 am »
SMRPG2

Just because I want another good hack of that.

i hear ya there, SMRPG is awesome, it's a pity that Square and Nintendo havent paired up and made another one.

but then that's where i come in, i plan to take the original game and turn it into a sequel, hopefully it becomes worthy of it's title as a sequel.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:37:36 am »
Well AlphaDream consists of ex-Square devs, many of whom worked on SMRPG. So I guess in that regard they did team up again. Kind of.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing what happens.

UltimateGamerCC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:16 am »
indeed, i'm eager to see how far i can take SMRPG past it's initial programming, gotta love the Lazy Shell editor XD

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:02:21 am »
option 6: instead of wasting a month work time waiting for a poll on which one of these overly ambitious jobs you plan to tackle, I suggest choosing a very modest goal that covers all of your desired areas of hacking. You can work on a simple game or take inspiration  from the Contra hack posted recently. It featured one simple stage and a time trial. That was it.

Then realize that even with great dedication, it will be a long haul with many, many roadblocks just to achieve that. Much later, when you feel regret for spending so many weeks or months on that, remind yourself that it's exponentially shorter and easier than what you had originally planned to do, even with editors.

Finally, after a long and arduous trial, release your small hack to gain the confidence that you have the skills necessary to plow through a larger project.

Because right now, from what comes and goes on these forums, options 1--5 all look like they're going to result in a month of "OMG, my hacks are gonna be so awesome with x and y and z frills" followed by a couple of weeks of asking for help to only be given answers of "this doc teaches how," "that's way more complicated than you expect," or if you're lucky, actual answers that are simply over your head. Then eventually the questions will end with your sudden disappearance on the forums or a "RL is pretty busy now, projects on hold indefinitely."

In short, this advice applies to all creative endeavors. Before you tackle "your baby," start small and complete at least one less ambitious project you are not in love with to gain skills, knowledge, and confidence.

UltimateGamerCC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:21:27 am »
hmmm, i see your point there, i might have somethin smaller i could work on in the meantime... IE: a Batman Level Hack.

so i could do THAT while the poll is going on, then with some xp under my belt, i can engage in the hack that everyone here has voted on.

honestly though i never been good at thinking small, just like i'm not much for small hacks...

ty for your advice and i will assure you for a fact, that the only way a project will be on hold indefinitely, is if i'm in a coma XD lol

real life is never that hectic for me, but things of course CAN happen so that's why there will never be a set release date.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 07:41:29 am »
A Batman level hack sounds like a very good start. If this is truly your first hack, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the completion in a month basket, even for that.

I would also like to add however, that a post of progress is worth a million posts of intention.

UltimateGamerCC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 07:46:26 am »
yeah i'm sure it'll take more than a month, but then who knows... in any case it's almost time to babysit my niece, catch ya later and thanks again for the advice :)

i will be sure to keep everyone posted, will begin playing the game again for inspiration and then fiddle with the editor :P

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 08:44:59 pm »
Trapped in minus world gets my vote.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 07:16:50 am »
while SMRPG 2 is a good idea, I don't know how you'd alter 3D prerendered sprites to make this sequel possible

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 11:35:27 am »
I voted SMW for it being the most achievable goal. I cringe at how there are so many SMW hacks though.

UltimateGamerCC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:18:33 am »
while SMRPG 2 is a good idea, I don't know how you'd alter 3D prerendered sprites to make this sequel possible

agreed, it's not going to be easy by a long shot, but it is obviously do-able from the hack "ORREFEZEPS" or however it's spelled XD

i guess i can do the best that i can and if somebody who knows what he or she is doing comes along and wants to co-op i would not refuse XD

January 23, 2014, 03:20:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I voted SMW for it being the most achievable goal. I cringe at how there are so many SMW hacks though.

lol indeed, and most arent that good XD

i was hesitant to want to do a SMW hack at first, but then i had a brainstorm and figured that i could make a good one :)

January 23, 2014, 03:51:53 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Trapped in minus world gets my vote.

thanks for your vote, Wolf :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:51:53 am by UltimateGamerCC »

UltimateGamerCC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 09:53:35 am »
Thanks to you, one and all, the voting has concluded and by one vote my first major project is SMRPG2: Smithy's Revenge!

I look forward to doing that hack after I get done doing SMB2: Reoccurring Nightmare n_n

thank you for your votes and your opinions on this matter, I appreciate your patience with my noobness on the forums, I definitely will be doing posts the right way from this point onward.

will not be posting on my topics further unless it's to reply or to post progress on Reoccurring Nightmare (which may become a trilogy... I have been considering it very strongly as of late...)

and yes I know im 2 weeks late.... I er, forgot that I posted this poll sooner lol so embarrassing...