News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need a menu and title/boot screen for Megaman  (Read 3894 times)

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
Need a menu and title/boot screen for Megaman
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:30:31 pm »
For this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LmPO_3dBFQ

I need to make a menu for when the game first boots. It allows setting the channel's (for PSG sound FX) stereo separation and as well as global PSG volume level. And difficulty mode setting.

Anyone interested? The title/boot screen is shown before the game begins and doesn't replace the original title screen.

I can put something generic there, but I figured why not add something custom/nice for a change. Looking to do this fairly soon.

I'll give a few details: Title/boot screen image is 256x224. Tiles are 8x8. Each tile is 15 colors.  The color format is RGB, 9bit. To do it in something like Photoshop, use RGB steps of 36 (0,36,72,etc). For example R of RGB has 8 steps: 0, 36,72,108, 144, 180, 216, 252. Same for G and B. There are 16 subpalettes. Each subpalette holds 15 colors. A tile can be assigned to any of those 16 subpalettes; but only 1 subpalette per tile (doesn't matter where that tile is, in the pic). For photoshop, I usually just have a transparent overlay that's in a 8x8 grid - so that I can keep track of which tile uses which subpalette. Sound complicated? It's not. I can give a PSD example file of how it works.

So, that's that. If you're interested, post some mock-ups here.

Edit: I was actually gonna use this:

But the I need a 'megaman' title, not a rockman one. And I need that 'megaman' title bar on a separate layer, so I can scroll it in. And since there's no detail underneath it, I can't (I'm not a good enough pixel artist to replace the BG detail).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:30:14 pm by tomaitheous »

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Need a menu and title/boot screen for Megaman
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:17:23 pm »
I already have a Megaman Logo from my MMPU project I could upgrade to use the 15 color palette.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:42:02 pm »
I can use the 'megaman' part. That works out:

I managed to find a clean source of what I was working with, so I'll just go with that:

So I'm good. Now to work on the animated intro...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:49 pm »
Woot! That looks good!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:54 pm »
Middle bottom point of the first M is too far off center even considering the perspective.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:53:44 pm »
Actually, I think it's the top that is off. The second M is from the original artwork.