News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Facelift for Final Fantasy VI?  (Read 2079 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Facelift for Final Fantasy VI?
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:49:21 am »
I'm interested in doing a graphics hack of Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard (romhacking.net/hacks/794).

What I want to do is double the frames of animation available for each character, and draw new frames of animation to go "between" the currently sequenced animation frames. My theory is that this will produce a more "fluid" animation effect. I'd also like to do some palette editing and a couple of event hacks.

I understand how ambitious this project is, and that it would involve enormous amounts of coding. I am willing to attempt to learn the mechanics of it, but I am no programmer. I can barely hex edit. If there is a programmer available, I am willing to trade work for work. My specialty is editing scripts for translations.

Let me know. Thanks for reading.
Yamero~~!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Facelift for Final Fantasy VI?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:19:39 am »
I have not pulled apart the SNES FF6 (the GBA one, a bit but not much) but I have to wonder if you are not going to be immediately brushing up against VRAM limits and those a pig to work around, even if you are coding something from the ground up.
Intermediate frames are a good thing though, I have done such a thing at various points myself though most of making intermediates for me is when porting sprites from one game to another, and I am not seeing an opening for something like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Lemming_animation.gif
You might be able to fiddle with OAM and add more stages, some wobble or something like that to the animation. It is a lesser effect than more frames to an animation. I do not know what you can get in the way of palette animations but that can also work.

Regular palette editing and event hacks should be less of a problem though.

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Facelift for Final Fantasy VI?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:29:03 pm »
I have to agree. This sounds like it would take a lot of work unless the game already uses some sort of dynamic sprite display code you'll have to rewrite the whole thing. It would be awesome to see happen, though. But even if it were just a graphics overhaul without the animation changes that could be great too.